Brand New Bike - Numpty Question!

Jonindorset

Picked up my brand new MT07 in Night Fluro this morning :)
Very different from my CBR600F (which also conveniently I sold privately today too :) )

On the offside of the bike, somewhat below the seat is some grey foam/sponge material. I'm guessing this is transit type packing material? I just wanted to check before ripping out something that should be there...

Can anyone advise please?

Donut

Picked up my brand new MT07 in Night Fluro this morning :)
Very different from my CBR600F (which also conveniently I sold privately today too :) )

On the offside of the bike, somewhat below the seat is some grey foam/sponge material. I'm guessing this is transit type packing material? I just wanted to check before ripping out something that should be there...

Can anyone advise please?
I don't know what it is either but it's there on mine too and neither the first owner nor the dealers have removed it so guessing it's supposed to be there.

Probably there to stop something rubbing or vibrating and as it's quite unobtrusive I plan on leaving mine.

So that'd be at least 2 of us IF it's a numpty question

Jonindorset

Yes, it must be about that long. Conscious that it not only looks a little unsightly but also retains water like a sponge... I'm just going to leave it alone, focus on getting my Mivv exhaust and crash mushrooms on :)

Jonindorset

I have bought a Mivv Oval with Titanium can and carbon cap. I've not had the chance to fit it yet and going away for the week so it will have to wait a little while. Seems quite subtle but considerably less like a hair dryer than standard... There are some quite good static and drive by videos on Youtube.

I'm also assuming that to get the best fit I should be buying some new exhaust header gaskets and exhaust paste.

Yaminator

i didnt get new seals they were like brand new after taking it off, So good luck with the fitting..
I have bought a Mivv Oval with Titanium can and carbon cap. I've not had the chance to fit it yet and going away for the week so it will have to wait a little while. Seems quite subtle but considerably less like a hair dryer than standard... There are some quite good static and drive by videos on Youtube.

I'm also assuming that to get the best fit I should be buying some new exhaust header gaskets and exhaust paste.

Noggie

I was on the verge of commenting that I don't have the foam on mine when I thought I would have a quick look at my bike and lo and behold....see pic below!

View attachment 2860
Thanks, I just had a look and I have that foam too, I thought it was something a bit more visible, my bike having a black frame I never even noticed it.
It doesn't appear to have any function, it covers up a gap on one side of what I believe is the air filter box. That box is fixed and not near enough to rub against the frame.

I see no reason for it to be there so removing it should be no problem, I just might leave mine since I can't really see it, but if your frame is a different colour removing it should be no problem.

Last edited:

robodene

Mine has it. I am guesssing it may be to do with the manufacturing process. There seems to be nothing near it and it very soft foam. Mine is stuck to the frame.

Jonindorset

Yes, that's it! I was reliably informed that it is dust filtering for the air intake. Maybe looks more evident on a night fluro bike because of the pastel grey tank.

Noggie

Yes, that's it! I was reliably informed that it is dust filtering for the air intake. Maybe looks more evident on a night fluro bike because of the pastel grey tank.
My tank is red and never noticed it. Though the frame and air filter box is black so it blended in nicely

1a2a3a

I think..since you mentioned it sits before the air filter so....

Perhaps it is to prevent dust from going into your air filter intake?