battery/electrical fault?

Mike.h

hi guys, had my mt-07 around 3 weeks now, done 750 miles and my battery keeps going flat to the point where i have to bump start it at work in order to get home. the problem first occurred shortly after having the akra exhaust fitted so maybe theyre related? anyways, ive charged the battery with an optimate charger/tester twice and the battery charges for an hour or two and then says all is fine and then a couple of days later it will be flat again.
i informed my dealer of the problem (CMC Nottingham) and they said id have to ride it there to be looked at and id only recieve a 50cc scooter as a courtesy bike which is extremely disappointing.

so has anyone else had this problem or know what the problem could be? ive checked the battery terminals but i dont want to tamper too much since the bike is under warranty. help would be much appreciated, thanks.

badger27

i run heated grips on mine never had any trouble with the battery the dealer should sort it under warranty i also know i few lads with extra lights and sat nav units that seem fine with the light weight battery

hope you get it sorted.

badger

Ralph

Sounds like it's not charging if you have a volt meter you should get 14V with the engine
running, if you feel under the left tank panel you will feel 2 bigish plugs that plug vertically
into a unit that is the voltage regulator/rectifier give them a push up see if they are seated
properly.

dazzor

Your dealer is, in my opinion, short-changing you on the service they are offering.

This is a new bike failing on a fundamental level. They should be picking the bike up from you at an address that causes you zero inconvenience and at the same time, dropping off a like-for-like courtesy bike, not a poxy moped.

This sort of thing infuriates the hell out of me.....the dealer was quick enough to take your money and enjoy the margin they put on it.

If people want to make money and not concern themselves with post sale service; they should become a bookmaker, not deal in a service-orientated industry like this.

Rant over....I feel better now :)

Hope you get it sorted

Darren

Last edited:
check the side stand switch isnt earthing out. had this happen on a few bikes and no matter how far or hard you ride, park it up and its flat when you return. simple fix but really frustrating.

Mike.h

my thoughts exactly however the dealer can charge for pick up apparently and because my bike is the restricted version, they dont have anything they can give me as a courtesy bike besides a moped... so they say...

dazzor

my thoughts exactly however the dealer can charge for pick up apparently and because my bike is the restricted version, they dont have anything they can give me as a courtesy bike besides a moped... so they say...
Charge for pick-up when the bike won't start? Yeah I bet it's more than the cost of fuel too.

Can the dealer not get reimbursed by Yamaha?

Whilst not ideal, if you have road-side assistance with the likes of the AA or RAC they could take the bike to the shop I guess, depends on the level of cover, not entirely sure.....just a thought.

As for the courtesy bike, they should have something a bit more appropriate....the restrictor kits are quick and easy to fit.....just my opinion but I think your dealer is below par to put it mildly.

Just looked at CMC's Nottingham website; that shop/showroom looks huge! .....and they haven't got a decent courtesy bike?

Utter b*****ks!

I'd be writing to Yamaha UK HQ to let them know how they are treating customers with a faulty bike with 750 miles on the clock.

Last edited:

busey

Don't pay for pick up call Yamaha assist when the battery goes flat (lights on over night will do it)