back brake

loneranger

does anyone has clear instructions on how to adjust back brake. Mine has a lot of play in it before it activates. I want i:cool:t to be firmer and activate with less pressure from my foot

D

Deleted member 20

Some ideas:

It's hydraulic, don't think there is any adjustment to do as you have on the front brake lever.
Make sure you don't have air in the system, bleed the brakes.
Want more bite, chage pads to Brembo SP compound pads.

The pedal/lever itself is not the stiffest in the world, same as XJ6, it has a lot of give/flex when stepping har on it.
MT09 and TDM has an cast aluminium pedal that will not twist.
Replacing the pedal/lever to something stiffer would help a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

spencer

Mine was really bad, so I adjusted nut that connects the leaver to the master cylinder helped quite a bit but it seems to have gone soft again. so next step is to bleed and replace pad.

gregjet

Replacing the pads will probably not make it less soft. Replacing the lines is prob the go. Yammy brake lines are notoriously soggy. That is providing you don't have ABS of course. Then It is just gonna be a bit soggy but it won't matter. If it is ABS you may have to get the dealer to do a ABS pump reprime ( it is usually done electronically via the ECU)

Ralph

What ever you do make sure the piston in the master cylinder returns all the way to
the end when it is at rest or pressure will build in the system and fluid wont be able
to get from the reservoir to top it up, it as to come all the way back to open the ports.
Strangely mine is the best disc rear brake I have ever had.

D

Deleted member 20

I also like the Yamaha rear brakes on the my recent bikes. My TDM rear is fantastic, my MT09 rear was also good, so was/is my FZ6/XJ6/MT07 rear except for the some what flexy pedal.

sdrio

I found it quite spongy at first, and queried it with the dealer, I was told it was because it's ABS, and that's what they feel like (assuming yours has ABS).

I'm used to it now, but two things;

1. I don't use the back brake as much as the front anyway, and 2. The dealer I bought the bike from seems to be utterly clueless about anything remotely mechanical on a bike, so that might not be the answer anyway.