Yellow driving glasses for the winter, the pro's..

jonnyg

I bought myself some yellow tinted shatter proof driving glasses for the darker winter months, if you haven't already tried these types of glasses give them a go here's why..

They:

Brighten up the darker mornings and evenings, giving you so much more visibility.

Deflect the bright headlight glare of other vehicles.

Take a lot of strain off your eyes(specially at dusk/morning riding).

Driving in down pours they(somehow) filter the rain drops making visibility much better.

Protect your eyes if you have your visor up from stones, leaves, rain and any other road debris.

This is an important part: Due to the colour tint, if the roads are wet they will make drain covers, oil patches, diesel spills etc stand out as a dark blue colour easily spotted on a wet road.

Go get a pair, their cheap enough, and give your feed back on them..It may be one of the best winter safety item's you've never even thought about!

rappetor

You forgot the most important one! With the yellow tint it always looks sunny and will brighten up your mood and day! :D

Scim77

This is a strange phenomena. From a physics angle it is impossible to make vision brighter by interposing a coloured filter. You are subtracting and hence cannot have more light than you did without the filter. However, there could be an aspect of our brains that finds the simpler spectrum easier to decipher, under certain conditions.

sdrio

My only concern is that I'd end up looking like Bono, which is of course completely unacceptable.

gregjet

The yellow takes then blue out of the shadows ( which tend to have a blue tinge) which increases the contrast. Helps with depth perception . Especially useful in early morning and late afternoon though it definitely works at night and I am not sure why. It is correct that a yellow filter will reduce the total available light but if you use a pale yellow rather than a higher grade filter, the eye will accommodate by opening up more.
I have been using yellow glasses ( very pale yellow tint) for mountainbiking for year. They make a huge difference. We tend to ride in the late afternoon and early morning to avoid the heat when I lived in North Queensland. Having said that they are pretty tiring to wear in full Queensland sunlight.
I thought the proper colour for snow was NOT the pale yellow used for low light but some sort of goldy colour. Don't have snow so I have no idea why.

Ralph

Maybe our eyes are just more sensitive to that wavelength of colour/light,
what ever it is it seems to work.