Wiring to the ignition. How and is it difficult?

DeadHead

I've bought a dogcam camera, that can be powered by the bike but it needs to be wired to the ignition. I have no idea how to do this or a diagram to work with so if anyone has some images, help etc I would be most grateful for any input.

D

Deleted member 20

Ideally use a relay so you don't blow a fuse if using much watt/amps for your accessories. Pull +12V from rear or front park lamp to trigger relay, pull clean +12V from battery. Use battery or frame as ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

I used the rear light circuit for heated grips. Spliced into the positive just under where the passenger seat is, the neutral I just wired straight to the battery.

As they're not that thirsty (about 3 amps), I didn't bother with a relay, but for sure using one is the 'best practice'.

DeadHead

Having never messed about with a bikes wiring before this is all new to me so I'm totally out of my depth but having said that It's fun to learn new stuff.

The hard wiring kit they have supplied is 12v with 1 x black and 1 x red which i initially assumed was to wire it to the battery, trouble with that was it sent constant power to the camera whatever the ignition position. It would have been nice had they supplied instructions ;)
The supplied cable comes with a fuse and built in power regulator, I like the idea of using the wiring to the rear light and earthing on the battery terminal. Is the power going to the rear light going to be enough to juice the camera?

balki

You already have a 2 amp 12vdc feed linked to the ignition - lookup aux connector (See link below)- located under the left side panel by the regulator.
If its usb powered -ie 5v - then you need a 12vdc to 5vdc converter (ebay)
Or you could get a 10amp 12vdc socket with switched dual port usb that wires direct to the battery (although you need to remember to turn it off so you dont drain the battery)

http://www.motorcycle-talk.net/forum/mt-07-fz-07-technical-forum/526-12-volt-sat-nav.html?highlight=connector

Last edited:

DeadHead

balki I think the supplied kit comes with everything you need as far as usb conversions etc..That's a handy link, thanks for posting.
I could then use the AUX connector to power my camera?

balki

I could then use the AUX connector to power my camera?
Yep just connect the red and black to the aux (either cut off the plug and use crimps or find some pins to use in the female side) red wire to +(R/Y) or black wire to - (B/W)
Depending where you want to mount the cam you may want to grab some wire to extend the aux line (i have run mine to the pillion seat)
I have an innovv C3 (1.5m lead to rec unit ) that reaches from the headlight to the pillion area
IMG_20150121_192241.jpg

Last edited: