Vinyl wrapped my MT07

sdrio

My phonecam is a bit potato, in the first one the colour looks a bit wierd. The others are more accurate.

May I present . . . the shocker!

20140809_173137.jpg

20140809_173151.jpg

20140809_173206.jpg

jeppebm

wauw thats what i call "PAWW COLORS" :D - how did you apply this? :D i havent tried anything like it myself - so im a newbie

sdrio

Me too. First time I've done it.

Requires a lump of vinyl wrap, hairdryer, scalpel and quite a lot of swearing.

Took me about 3 hours, but I was getting better at the end. I reckon I could do it in an hour now.

costs about £10 for the vinyl, decals were £8.

Spartan72

That looks amazing...

And exactly what I was thinking of. Just in another colour. Did you remove the Yam logo? And how did you get vinyl straighten out?

Nice job...

sdrio

OK, now I'm not on my mobile, and can see what I'm typing, answers to a few questions;

Technique for applying, I used a single piece for each side, started in the middle and worked out. I think it would be impossible to do without a heat gun, I used it constantly - heat / squeegee let it cool and it stays where you put it.

The vinyl itself seems happy to be stuck / peeled / restuck / heated / cooled indefinitely without losing it's stickiness. It leaves no residue while you;re doing that, which I think probably answers the question as to how easy it is to remove. I'm guessing it's very easy, it's strong stuff, it will definitely peel off in one piece.

Air bubbles - I avoided them mainly by reapplying several times till I got it right, but close up there are a few small ones (1-2mm) still in mine. I pushed them to where the decal is, so they're not obvious. Same goes for ruffled edges, there are a couple on mine.

Basically if you stand up close and really look carefully, it's far from perfect, but out and about it looks great. It may be that because my technique involved a lot of heating / stretching, over time the stuff will try to shrink back to its normal shape and it'll look rubbish, but if that happens I can just peel it off and do it again, hopefully better . . .

On Da1kinis carbon fiber wrapped mirrors, firstly I'll say what a great job you did, looks great. One thing I'd say about doing carbon on the tank - as it's a bigger and fairly complex shaped area, I'd imagine you'd have to be really good at it to do it in one piece and not distort the carbon pattern.

But overall, it's easily doable in half a day, including getting the panels off and back on. As Spartan 72 said, you can pretty much change the colour on a whim, it's cheap to do and if you look on Ebay / Amazon etc there are just endless different things you could do. I'm thinking when I get bored with that to do a multilayered Union Jack scheme. It's probably easier to do, as you can do it in sections.

Legality - it did occur to me that the V5 is now incorrect, and I'm not sure how big a deal that is, but my view is that on any given day it's unlikely to be the most illegal thing I'll do on my bike so I'll live with it :D

sdrio

Did you peel off the 'YAMAHA' characters?
No, left them and the warning sticker on. As it's my first attempt, I wanted to be able to completely reverse it if it went wrong.

You can see the shape of it under the wrap, but the decals are over the top, it's not obvious. It's another 'have to be looking closely' thing.

Something that could be done if you wanted to - the shape is clear enough to actually mark the original decals onto the vinyl. With a steady hand and an indelible pen, you could either draw over them, or trace the edges.

da1kini

On Da1kinis carbon fiber wrapped mirrors, firstly I'll say what a great job you did, looks great. One thing I'd say about doing carbon on the tank - as it's a bigger and fairly complex shaped area, I'd imagine you'd have to be really good at it to do it in one piece and not distort the carbon pattern.
Well thank you sir! I like the result on your bike to! And this was my first attempt also. Regarding carbon wrapping the tank I did not plan to do it. But I am a forum/youtube nerd and they do wrap cars in carbon so there is a way to do it but you need to have an extra set of hands to help you. The best way to wrap hard surfaces like a tank is to pre heat the vinyl and stretch it and then hold the stretch until it cools. Then it stays in a stretch position and you can apply it to the surface you wanna wrap. Then you can actually use your heat gun (or hair dryer) to shrink it back around difficult bends and corners. Search for 3M on Youtube and you will fin nice tutorial on how that is done! I used the same method for my mirrors and worked great!

sdrio

Well thank you sir! I like the result on your bike to! And this was my first attempt also. Regarding carbon wrapping the tank I did not plan to do it. But I am a forum/youtube nerd and they do wrap cars in carbon so there is a way to do it but you need to have an extra set of hands to help you. The best way to wrap hard surfaces like a tank is to pre heat the vinyl and stretch it and then hold the stretch until it cools. Then it stays in a stretch position and you can apply it to the surface you wanna wrap. Then you can actually use your heat gun (or hair dryer) to shrink it back around difficult bends and corners. Search for 3M on Youtube and you will fin nice tutorial on how that is done! I used the same method for my mirrors and worked great!
Yes, I saw that one before I started, but I was single handed, and it was impossible!