Very noisy gear change

bones

Does any one else find their gear change rather noisy / clunky ?
Especially when changing down ... I've done aproximately 1400 miles and I would say it's getting clunkier ! When I am stationary and engage first there's a proper clunk with the clutch right in ....
Any input would be great
paul

Will145

I fine the change into first is clunky when cold but isn't at all when warmed up. The gear change on mine doesn't seem any noisier than other bikes and is just as smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cosmikdebriis

I keep missing 2nd-3rd on the way up which can be alarming if I'm cranked over at the time and on the whole I'd say it's a bit of a clunky box.

First service tomorrow so will mention it.

bones

I had exactly the same with 2 and third on both the demo and my bike .... For me i found my boot was applying slight pressure to the lever all the time ..... I adjusted the lever upwards quite a lot and that totally resolved that problem ....

First service wahay release the beast
Let us know what they say mate

sdrio

I had the 2nd-3rd problem for the first hundred miles or so, but it cured itself (or I got used to it). Have to say, I have seen 3 or 4 people mention it, and it's always 2-3. Must be something about the selector design that causes it.

It goes into first at the lights with a bit of a clunk, but no moreso than any other bike I've had. Maybe try tightening the clutch cable half a twist, see if it helps.

On the road haven't noticed it being particularly noisy though. I don;t notice the gearbox, which I guess means it's doing the job right.

Phil_B

I find it a bit clunky at times (1400 miles in too). But then the other bikes I've ridden (yr 125 and BMW f700) were also quite mechanical sounding gear boxes so I've never ridden one of those truly smooth gear boxed bikes to compare.

I have found if I get a gear change just right it's a smooth as silk. A bit wrong and it goes with a bit of a bang. So I think part of it is me learning to shift more smoothly.

But no, I don't think it's particularly forgiving and put this down to the short bite point of the clutch.

loneranger

most bikes will clunk into first. very common and nothing to worry about. If you fing gears do not engage intermittently get your chain tension checked. This can be a cause. Had on my bike now sorted. Also add some lube once tensioned.

AJ Nin

It is a bit clunky in all gear changes. Many bikes only have a clunk going into first. It is a nice clunk though...nothing ominous or excessive. It can be a little jerky too as you let off the clutch going up the gears, especially 2nd. A little jerk won't hurt anything, but this is a bike that it helps to rev match...a little throttle blip as you let the clutch out to increase the revs.

Phil_B

Anyone had any dealer feedback on this? Tonight's ride home was a slightly clunky one, and it jumped out of gear momentarily and went in with a bang when changing up between 4th and 5th this morning.

Still appreciate it might be me as I'm probably more inconsistent that the bike, but sometimes I find it an absolute joy, others a bit clunky.

motomeek

Well what you're describing sounds a little like what happened to be when I was downshifting from 5th to 4th.
I mentioned it to my dealer during my 600 mi. and said it was most likely due to the gears not lining up when the shift happened, more likely, a user error.

And it's only happened to me once.

But coming from a CBR250R, the clunk is so noticeable. I just accounted the increase in power to be the reason. First gear seems to be the only time I hear the clunk.

Nuggets

Clunk into first but as someone else has mentioned this isn't unusual. I'm almost done with running in, and have been working the gearbox up and down as well as block shifting a lot, certainly you know when first has been selected but the rest seems pretty smooth with 590miles on the odo.

I throttle blip or slip the clutch at low speed to smooth out some jerkiness, I've also learned to give it a few more revs as I've been fooled a few times into thinking I can pull away at low revs such is the torquey nature of the engine. I found it will happily pull from low revs from every gear once moving but from stationary it needs a little encouragement than I would have expected.

The only issue I've had (its only happened twice) is the gear indicator going blank, as if stuck between gears, all I do is release the clutch a little and the gear indicator comes back and I can shift gear.