This is a first for me.. Clutch Cable?

Yaminator

Guys, today i was riding the bike & i'm thinking this clutch is a bit stiff bering in mind i have been cleaning / lubing because its a little tight sometimes in the past but today i thought i need the gym or i need some grease.?
So i thought lets clean of what i can get too at either end and then i'l try and get some grease down there,
so at the lever end with the cable disconnected from the engine end i get my microfibre to wipe away any crud.... then bingo.. the cloth was snagging with closer inspection one half of the inner cable is well worn away it was like rubbing the back of a hedgehog..?? The bikes only done 5.5k miles.

This is well weird....... or is it.?

Ralph

Not the first I have heard of a bit strange as to me the clutch feels light
maybe they rub on something or the nipple in the leaver is not free to
move.

Ralph

Could there be any sharp edges in the adjuster I seem to remember one rider having 2 or 3 cables go
but not the outcome, I mean they have been making cable clutches since they stopped making bamboo
rickshaws why should they loose the plot now. then again the same can be said about the crap switch
gear, I will look at mine tomorrow see if I can see anything.

Ralph

Was out on mine today and had a look, the cable on mine goes into the adjuster at
a strange angle due to how it's routed but no sign of rubbing, maybe on some
bikes that angle is more acute and the cable rubs.
May stick a cable tie on to line it up better.

Last edited:

sdrio

You can certainly prolong the life by routing/lubing properly, but in my experience anything over about 10k miles the bets are off, they don't last forever.

What did surprise me was that a genuine Yamaha replacement was only about 13 quid when I did mine, about a month ago. I was expecting the usual 30 quid or so.

Simoncrp

I washed my bike yesterday with a pressure washer. I'm not sure if it's connected but today my clutch lever has become quite stiff and every time i release it, it doesn't spring back all the way to it's original position. I need to push it back with my fingers. How can i correct this?

Ralph

Most likely a new cable,
you could try disconnecting it get it into a vertical position then make
a funnel round the end so you can pour a little oil in and let it drain
through the cable over night it may free things off.but messy.

Yaminator

It's confirmed by a mechanic, if the cable has the nylon isolator in tubing.. It don't need lubricating.. Because chemical that are in some lubes can react to this nylon causing it to swell and cause other problems... Just lube the ends nipples etc..

Simoncrp

Most likely a new cable,
you could try disconnecting it get it into a vertical position then make
a funnel round the end so you can pour a little oil in and let it drain
through the cable over night it may free things off.but messy.
It can't need a new cable, the bike's only 6 months old with 2100 on the clock. I think it might just need a bit of WD40 on the lever hinge

sdrio

It can't need a new cable, the bike's only 6 months old with 2100 on the clock. I think it might just need a bit of WD40 on the lever hinge
It's very easy to disconnect the cable at both ends. Do that, and you can check the cable itself is free (should be almost no resistance at all), or whether the lever is stiff.

Ralph

To be honest at 6 months old I would be taking it back to the dealer,
but Yamaha do recommend oiling the cable look in the service book.
Just have a look right were the inner cable goes into the outer a few
have started to break there.

Last edited:

Ralph

I'v had a look at mine, no sign of ware at 9000 miles but still don't like the angle that
the cable goes into the leaver at, the adjuster at the lever end on mine is very close
to full in if it was adjusted further out the angle would be even worse, anyway I have
fitted a cable tie just to ease that angle.

sdrio

I'v had a look at mine, no sign of ware at 9000 miles but still don't like the angle that
the cable goes into the leaver at, the adjuster at the lever end on mine is very close
to full in if it was adjusted further out the angle would be even worse, anyway I have
fitted a cable tie just to ease that angle.
There's plenty of adjustment at the other end, I'd shorten it there, and wind the handlebar adjuster in. Mine has about 3mm between the lever casting and the round gnurled adjuster thing.

The clutch end has two bolts either side of the bracket, just loosen those and you can set it wherever you like.

johnnakay

I had a clutch cable frayed after owning the bike a month from new and it was a yamaha (fazer 600)
was replaced under warranty and vthe cable was sent back to yamaha for inspection.