Test riding FZ07 and 09 tonight

dcpppf

So the 07s are finally popping up in dealerships locally. I've been arguing with myself for months now between an 09 and 07, and I'm hoping the test rides help me out.

Any tips/advice on things to pay special attention to that might make one more/less appealing than the other? I understand they are different animals completely, but i'm about 6'1" 190, and from what I've read the 07s might be a little cramped.

dcpppf

Rode the 07, and my one real complaint was how close the instrument cluster was. It felt like i was trying to look at my knees to see it. Granted once I got a good feel for the bike I wouldn't have to look at it near as much. Hoping I can get on the 09 today.

sdrio

I'm 6', don't have any problems with the 07, except the hard saddle.

I tested the 09 as well, it's a real brute compared to the 07.

How either of them feel is probably as much to do with what you ride now as anything else. I had been using a poxy 125cc scooter for 6 months, and found the 07 to be quite a handful for the first couple of miles. The torque can catch you out.

The 09 I found is really snatchy. Not sure if it's the drivetrain itself, or the fly by wire, or maybe both, but I struggled to get it to drive smoothly. The 07 is much better behaved. Probably not a long term issue, you'd get used to it I'm sure.

If you're into raw power, the 09 will be hard to resist. It was too much for me, 90% of my mileage is commuting in heavy traffic, I just don't need it. The 07 is better suited.

Check out the thread on here about engine stalling issues though. The 07 may have a problem with it, the jury is still out.

dcpppf

The fueling issue with the 09 is why I'm really anxious to get on it. Some people are really put off by it, others don't seem to be bothered much. I'm not really seeking raw power, but size/dimension wise it looks like the 09 will be a good medium between the 07 and my current bike. Comfort is the big reason the 09 is still on the table.

D

Deleted member 20

I'm 194 cm and I'm happy and comfortable riding the MT07, specially after replacing handlebar with a Renthal Ultra Low (£30) that move hands 5 cm forward, 2 cm down and 3 cm out each side.
I have also owned a MT09 and I think it was more cramped, pegs higher and further back. Also, the MT09 engine is wider, right side clutch bulb is rubbing against my size 13 boots when moving foot on/off brake pedal.
Dont think it's any problem mastering the MT09, it's easy to drive if you select Std mode and use the throttle wisely. But massive power if/when you want to use it.

zappalia

Hi and30ers do you hv any picture with the renthal bar? Quite interested to change mine as I'm 189 cm and like a more upfront riding position. Cheers

afwestpunk

Is it the new version of the 09 or last years model? I heard the new 09 fixed alot of the complaints of the previous model

D

Deleted member 20

Renthal bar pics already published on this forum and on my YouTube walk around. Search MT-07 Renthal Ultra Low and there it is.

Jon

I test rode an MT-09 at the Manchester "Dark Side of Japan" tour this weekend. The Yamaha rep told me that all the MT-09s on demo had had the just-released throttle/fuelling mod. He was at pains to tell me it wasnt a full remap, just a small mod to simulate electronically the effect of one of those twist grips with a ramped cable track - so when just opening the throttle the first 20 degrees or so pulls the cable only a little compared to the same amount of twist at higher revs. It was a decent ride, 25 miles including all sorts of roads with motorway to inner city streets included. I left the bike in Standard Mode.

I have to say I could detect no snatchiness at all! It was beautiffully smooth and progressive. My MT-07 has been far more snatchy when I was lazy keeping the chain adjusted a while ago . The bike feels stunningly light (probably helped by the wide bars) very smooth (triple vs twin) and yes, VERY powerful. i loved it. But existing 09 owners are wary as the mod is irreversible and they have either got used to it or many have fitted mods to make it smoother..

According to MCN (August 20th) an MT-09 Sports Tourer is about to be launched with a twin headlight / touring screen/ nose fairing. I confess, if I had the cash to burn, I might be tempted!