Test ride-a-thon

bubbles

After mulling it over for the last week or so, I tried to be practical in my approach for new bike selection and mapped out a list of my requirements and what bike would match these out of the box:

(not necessarily in order)

Refinement
Handling
Brakes
Price
Running costs
Practicality
Engine
Quickshifter
Looks
Sound
Fun

The bike that matches nearly all of the above for me is the Street Triple Rx, now unfortunately I hate the look of the arse end from the Daytona and the horrible colour scheme (Can't get past the red wheels).

So that means i'm going to wait 18 months or so until a refresh of the product line and see where that goes................

Not all a loss though, I did discover that I personally have no need for a 1000cc engine and also how incredible the little MT-07 is for £5K. There is absolutely no way some of the bikes I tried are worth two MT-07's which is a crazy thought.

My decision is final..............probably until the bike show in November :p

D

Deleted member 20

Been to a local small track today and did test ride the bikes below, listed in most fun first, least fun last.

Yam R3
Street Triple 675 RX
Monster 821
KTM RC 390
Yam MT09 Tracer
None
Hypermotard 821
None
None
BMW R1200R

But I think I had the most fun on my Öhlins-upgraded 2007 TDM on the way to/from the track :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phil_B

Bubbles... you can fit the quickshifter to the regular street triple. No need to go for the RX for that.

Pre-regs should come up over Christmas time. Picked mine up for 6700 delivered last December if that tempts you?

Not ridden it enough this year with a new baby but I love it and my MT has been neglected since. Great second bike for me! That is stepping up from the MT which was my first bike.

If money was no object I'd like a BMW R1200RS to go with it, looks great!

Last edited:

bubbles

Bubbles... you can fit the quickshifter to the regular street triple. No need to go for the RX for that.
Unfortunately for me adding the quick shifter as an option to the R version makes my insurance go up 3 times more than what it would be for the Rx.

The strange world of insurance :(

Oh, and great little write up by the way. Would love a go on the new suzuki gsx s1000f
I liked it, the exhaust note was great.

bubbles

Been to a local small track today and did test ride the bikes below, listed in most fun first, least fun last.

Yam R3
Street Triple 675 RX
Monster 821
KTM RC 390
Yam MT09 Tracer
None
Hypermotard 821
None
None
BMW R1200R

But I think I had the most fun on my Öhlins-upgraded 2007 TDM on the way to/from the track :)

If I had to put the bikes I've tried recently in order with the most fun at the top :

Street Triple
MT-07 :)
BMW S1000R
GSX S1000F
Speed Triple
CB1000R
MT-09

Phil_B

So I should stick with what I've got then :-D

Only problem I have is that these two pretty much do the same thing. I will have to part with the MT eventually...

Donut

Interesting choice considering that I'm about to do something similar (bike choice wise) and chop my speed triple in for an MT-09 and keep my MT-07

Phil_B

Interesting choice considering that I'm about to do something similar (bike choice wise) and chop my speed triple in for an MT-09 and keep my MT-07
Only reason I kept the MT is that I wasn't happy with the trade in offer from triumph.

Then I kept it whilst I made sure I liked the street...

Now just meaning to sell it... and being rubbish at finding the time!! :-/

D

Deleted member 20

KTM is also in the making of a 750-800 cc naked with parallel 270 degree crank twin. Guess that one will hit the streets in 2017. Getting crowded, which is a good thing.

bubbles

I've managed to blag a test on the new MT-09 with TC. Honestly comparing this to the original version is like night and day, it's gone to the top of my shopping list :D

I was blown away by how the subtle changes and tweaks have transformed the bike, I admit I hated the original but suspension aside all the problems I had have been addressed.

To be honest the suspension is absolutely fine for my style of riding however if your style is to nail it everywhere and use suicide heavy braking then it might pogo a bit.