Test of Ducati monster 821 from a mt-07 owner

amavro

My red mt-07 has an Acra and DNA filter installed .I don't know if it is my impression but it looks after the DNA filter I have more torque at lower end .

Going to the point , I did a test drive of the new Ducati monster 821 and I would like to share my view :
Cons
1. The steering wheel is very wide , so wide you cannot filter so easy in traffic like you do in mt-07.
2. The gear box is not so slick as in mt-07 ,sometimes you missing a gear .
3.the seating position is not so relaxed ,to much weight at the steering wheel ,your foot are also a bit squeezed .
4.lower end torque is better on the mt-07 (I used sport and touring mode ,didn't bothered with Urban ):
5. Don't think I can use this for commuting each day like I do with mine , could be tiresome .
6. I have the impression that mt-09 is faster (drove this also ) and the mt-07 is faster inside the city .

Positive
1. Above 4-5k bike accelerates fast .
2. The exhaust note is awesome but a bit annoying to use this as a daily driver .
3.The brakes are better than mt-07 ,faster stopping ,less progressiveness .
4. The seat is more comfortable than mt-07 .
5. It looks awesome in red .

Taking into account the monster costs 11800 euros here , it doesn't looks like a bargain at all .

Nicely done Yamaha !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deputy

Thanks - the 821 Monster was one of the few bikes I considered to replace my MT07. Looks like you saved me a few hours test riding (and the annoying follow up calls from dealers!)

Ralph

A check on maintenance requirements and cost would
likely work out in favour of the Yamaha.

amavro

I think a mt-09 tracer looks like a better upgrade but not for town at least for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrostHazer

thx for the info, definitely a beauty. Before I buy my MT i was looking about 696, 821 is even better. Hearing that mt-07 has more low end torque is kind of surprising considering there is a 130cc difference...