tank shroud removal

KEVINJSTANLEY

hi all

the posts about gaining access to the dc plug was very helpful, so I thought that I would video it. like many have said it is the catch next to the fuel cap which can't be seen that causes the problem.
I hope the video helps a little, my word of caution is do not rag at the plastic once you have popped the rubbers and undone the bolts.... it will come with a bit of pressure downwards and a wiggle.

YouTube

u tube vid

hope it helps

Torque

It's definitely a useful video for tank panel removal newbies. I've done it a few times now and you kinda get the knack of it :)

Kevin, I've got one tip for you though. You don't have to remove that metal plate above the battery in order to remove the plastic 'rivet' underneath the panel. They are designed to be removed from the outside by simply pushing the centre part in with a small screwdriver blade. After pushing it in gently (don't force it) the whole 'rivet' can then be pulled out. In order to re-insert the rivet you pull the centre part slightly out, push the outer part of the rivet into the hole, and then with your finger tip push the centre part flush again - it should click into place. It sounds more complicated than it actually is, but it is a very simple process and very necessary for other rivets of this kind on the bike where you wouldn't have access to the inside.

Last edited:

KEVINJSTANLEY

hi m8ty
yea I realised that with the rivet afterwards...the whole job is a bit fiddly but like you say i suppose it gets easier with practice.
as for the vid i hope it helps as when i needed to do it i went straight to utube to see how it was done but failed to find anything. perhaps also i could do with u tube showing me how to work my phone video :)

craigieboy

Handy video cheers. Would have helped when I fitted my heated grips as like you had undone all the bolts but couldn't understand what was still keeping it attached.