Sound of the chain when the bike is moving

kiriakos

Hi all

When i ride my MT07, except for the engine sound, there is always the annoying sound of the chain in the background. I lubed the chain, but the chain sound never goes away. Is this normal? Is it because the bike is too silent that i constantly hear the chain. Enlightenment please.

Thnx in advance

Jon

Are you sure it is the chain? I dont hear it at all. However, there is a lot of road noise from the front tyre ( i have Battlax, not Michelins). Unusually loud, But as it disappears on some surfaces I know it is tyre.

kiriakos

Yea its definately the chain, when you ride in high speeds you cant hear it because of the noise but its there and you can hear it in low speeds in the city

Darren

Yea its definately the chain, when you ride in high speeds you cant hear it because of the noise but its there and you can hear it in low speeds in the city
Hi, I picked up my bike last week and I have exactly the same problem, If I lift up my flip visor at slow speed I am sure it is the chain, sounds link the chain is dry and all the links are loose as they pass over the rear sprocket. I presume it's the newness?

Simon

The test bike I took out did this and so does mine so maybe its just part of the charm. I'm going to be using earplugs and fitting a nice fruity exhaust so soon rattles and squeaks will be a thing of the past from where I'm sat :)

xt660isgood2

We all know that with the standard pipe the bike is very quite, some like it and others don’t , personal choice.
I haven’t really noticed the (chain noise thing) while riding. (wear earplugs tho)
But a strange thing happened today. I was in a car with the window down and spotted a bike overtaking cars behind me (doing around 50mph) When he got behind me I could see it was an MT. Easily identifiable due to wonky screen:)
He didn’t need to gun it past so just came past gracefully but all I could hear was the
Chain and tyres, no engine/exhaust sound at all. Only bike I’ve ever known to sound like that.

Nuggets

I had this same issue and I checked the chain slack, it which as the book values. It only seems to happen at low speed when the chain is slacker? When i installed my scottoiler i noticed the chain has come into contact with the bottom of the swing arm, right on the weld and the powder coating has been damaged, it's s long scratch which suggest the chain has dragged over it, depressing the chain up against the swing arm at that point shows there is very little distance between chain and swing arm.

My theory is the slack in the chain at low sppeds means it comes in to ocntact with the swing arm, I'm going to temporary fix a nylon slider block to the underside of the swing arm and see if the rattle goes away.

Has anyone else got damaged powder coating to the underside of the swingarm?