Sell or stay?

shadowmonkey

Have been thinking about selling my race blue machine for a while now but not sure how much to sell for if I should sell at all.

The few mods I have are:
Akrapovic Carbon exhaust
Blue braided brake lines
Blue pazzo stubby levers
Oxford touring heated grips
Puig touring screen
Sw motech luggage rack
Yamaha tank luggage rack with givi luggage pack (small)
Heal tech quick shifter
K&n filter
Power bronze belly pan

So should I sell with mods or sell mods separately and any clues on how much to sell for? She also has 16500 miles on, as I have loved riding her lol [emoji39]

Last edited:

sdrio

One of the other guys here had done a lot of mods on his, and asked the same question. The wisdom was about half and half, some said take it off (self included) other said sell with the mods.

If I recall correctly, he sold it with the mods in the end, and said he'd got a price he was happy with.

I suppose that easiest way is to see if it sells with the mods, if not, whip them off.

Noggie

I'm in the same boat.

For me its more a matter of: Getting a better bike, continue modding the MT-07.

I have been looking a lot at 1000cc nakeds, like the S1000r, CB1000 and recently I have looked at faired touring bikes, like a Honda VFR or Kawasaki Z1000SX.

My problem is that I want better handling from my MT-07, but a €1000 suspension upgrade, on top of all my other mods puts me very close to a BMW S1000r, or a 2 year old Z1000SX.

The downside is that I will not get back the cost of my mods, I mean..... my total cost for the MT-07 will be 140% of what a new MT-07 is, and even if it has just done 2000km, I doubt I will even get what a new bike costs..... meaning a huge loss, and then the price gap to the bikes mentioned becomes a bit bigger.

I have decided to keep the MT for one more season, just to get some more mileage on it. The question is if I can resist to mod the suspension.

What I have told others, and what I would have done is to list all mods and your total cost of the bike.
That way you can show potential buyers that a new MT-07 costs A, this bike cost you C, but they can have it for B saving a lot of money.

ReGo

How about going to the dealer that sells your future bike (new or used) and find out how much are they willing to take from the price if you give them your MT?
I've done this in the past and got pretty decent quotes. I haven't, however, been able to part ways from my beloved MT yet :D

nobull

I always remove most mods & sell bike as near as standard as possible, assuming mods will be easily sold on, and for enough to make it worth my while. Personally I would think this would be particularly useful when selling a higher mileage bike - your looking for a very very small buying population who would rather pay more for your chosen mods whilst accepting a higher miles bike. Stands to reason its likely to be easier to sell everything to different people quicker. Either way best of luck selling, what are you thinking of moving on to?

Noggie

In my country dealers are terrible. You get some really bad quotes. I have tried that with cars a few times and the offers are laughable, and I ended up selling them myself.
I understand that they need to make money, but I get the feeling that they want to make money on your new bike, and make sure they have a good profit on your old.
Most people get an offer, try to sell it themselves, and if you end up lowering the price to close to the trade in offer you take it.
I had a BMW 3 series many years ago, where me and the dealer agreed on the sales price (sticker price), their offer was 19% lower than that, I sold the car myself 3 months later 2,6% below that price.
My current BMW 5 series I got an offer 20% below what I paid for it a year earlier, while the same model was sold 10% below on that in the market at that time. They wanted a 10% profit on my old car and an nifty profit on the new car they wanted to sell me. I felt like I was being ripped off.

Stripping it from mod's.... well..... First there is the work of stripping the bike, without mods it does not stand out and may be harder to sell, once sold you have to sell the parts, that may take a long time and may not get you much more money back.
So for all the work, risk of sitting on parts that don't sell.... you might as well just leave them on.

shadowmonkey

Dealer wanted to give me £2700 :( px towards a tracer and i thought that was really bad even though it was them I brought it from and serviced with. :mad: I know that PX is always crap but that was a p**s take.

nobull

CMC by any chance? That is a crap offer. Try Arnolds if you don't want the hassle of selling yourself, they were much better when I dealt with them at Loughborough than CMC. Plus no £89 hidden documentation fee!

sdrio

I guess now that Yamaha have got production ramped up, there's not much rarity premium to be had, although browsing bikes on Ebay yesterday people still seem to be expecting to get 5 grand for a year old bike. Not sure how they'll get on with that.

You have to remember, if you're considering the type of bike and the build quality, we're all riding the 2 wheeled equivalent of a Ford focus. Perfectly good vehicles, but fast becoming ubiquitous.

DJP

I've just looked on MCN and the very cheapest MT07 (one of the first with over 20,000 miles) is £4k.

Most (with about 10k miles) are around £4,500.

So a dealer offering £2,700 is looking to make nearly £2k profit - and that's before you take into account how much they're making on the new bike.

That really is taking the piss.

I'm a realist, but I'd still expect £3,500 minimum - expecially against an £8k bike.

Phil_B

Does VAT come into it with second hand bikes?

Currently a near £5200 brand new MT has an actual trade value of £4350
and you pay 20% tax on it from new. So if you bought it and returned it to trade it in the next day that is what it would be worth.

I was offered £3.5k for mine in standard condition with just over 4000 miles on it. But yes, it is a fairly depressing state of affairs. I wouldn't mind the 3.5k if it wasn't likely to go up for 4.5k in their showroom. But that's what makes me wonder if it's all cold hard profit or whether VAT is applicable to 2nd hand bikes.

nobull

VAT only applies to new vehicles, unless the first buyer was vat registered business I think, although I may well be wrong on that detail. If its not paid new, its charged on second hand resale to private individual. Generally applies to vans and work vehicles, so not relevant to bikes.

DJP

...that's what makes me wonder if it's all cold hard profit or whether VAT is applicable to 2nd hand bikes.
Dunno what the current state of play is, but VAT used to be payable on the profit of used vehicles.

ie, if you buy it in for £3,000 and sell it for £4,000 then you pay VAT @ 20% on £1,000 (ie £200).

That's how it always used to work (and probably still does).

dazzor

Just traded my 64 plate ABS MT-07 (I had from new) with 10,350 miles on the clock.

I had an SC-Project system on, Evotech Rad guard, Rizoma screen (smoked clear) and cheap ebay shorties worth £20.......I got 4k against a 300 mile, pre-registered 15 plate F800R with ALL the optional extras, of which there are quite a few. Basically new, the BMW is £8,873.....I got it for £6,250.....so my MT + £2250.

I couldn't be arsed with selling my MT privately for what I reckon would have been an extra £500 at most. (Cost of adds, idiots kicking tyres ect)

Why did I sell? I commute into London from Herts 5 days a week all year round and the MT, in my opinion is just too budget to cope with the roads and weather in the UK. Lovely bike but I needed a hardier machine.

Last edited:

Ralph

First mod is likely to be a smaller front or larger read sprocket nice and economical bike the F800
but very high gear'd in first.

dazzor

First mod is likely to be a smaller front or larger read sprocket nice and economical bike the F800
but very high gear'd in first.
They changed 1st & 2nd for the 2015 model.....feels pretty useful to me.....are you referring to the pre 15, i.e 09-14 version?

Ralph

The early ones were worse but even the new one is a bit on the high side
for town work, maybe yours being a later one it will suite you but I found
both too high though I did like them otherwise they are very economical
and the build is better than the MT

dazzor

The early ones were worse but even the new one is a bit on the high side
for town work, maybe yours being a later one it will suite you but I found
both too high though I did like them otherwise they are very economical
and the build is better than the MT
Thanks for the info.

Is this why i finding pull away a bit sluggish off the bat.....once moving its fine, just that 0-10mph bit that's lacking.....doesn't bother me really....such a plush ride otherwise.

Also, more oomph on the run.......had litre sports in the past, as well as bigger nakeds like a superduke.....all nice but too impractical for my needs.....f800r ticks more boxes than most for me so I'm happy.

The price I paid its was a no brainier; I could sell in a year and all being well I'd do better than the loss I took on the MT....I hope :)