Scrubbing in new tires (/tyres?)

CVSensei

Could anyone give me any advice on scrubbing in new tires? Never had factory fresh tires before and the last thing I want to do is lowside my way out of the dealers.. :cool:

Obviously be cautious, drive slow etc but is there anything else? Could/should I quite literally scrub them down with a brush or sandpaper?

D

Deleted member 20

My recent sets from Metzeler (Z8) or Michelin (PR4) have been pretty damned good from 1st km.
Don't worry, just don't drive like it's stolen first 20 min.
More important is to get rid of those lame chicken strips so make sure you hit some decent twisties and get your knee down asap.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

Most of the problem isn't the rubber surface, it's the stuff they put inside the mold to help release the tyre after it has been cooked.

New tyres still have it, and it's basically a kind of soap. Scrubbing in is just wearing that very thin layer off of the surface.

No need for any complicated rituals, just take it easy for the first few miles, especially if it's raining / damp. I usually wait 100 miles before I go beserk, but that's probably way more than it really needs.

[edit] I'm sure you know this, but just in case, remember the disks and pads also need a little time to get to know each other, so that's another reason to take it easy. Same applies, a few miles will probably do it, and if it's raining a little longer.

Last edited:

CVSensei

Ahhh I see nowhere near as bad as I thought then! I thought it would something that would last many miles didn't think it would be something you could measure in minutes :D

Anders surely the chicken strips don't actually affect the performance? I thought their only purpose was to shame riders who don't get their knee down?

Sdrio good job you said that, I didn't know, but it makes sense.

D

Deleted member 20

Chicken strips (or rather lack of), you cant harass your fellow riders for theirs if you still have yours. Imagine you meeting up with a hot girl w/o and you with. That hurts!

I prefer to scrub in all of the tire first day of riding it so I don't have to think about it anymore. First straight, then slalom on a straight road, then sweeping turns (first gently on power, gradually open the throttle harder), finally getting those damned strips away ;-)

This is me scrubbin a brand new PR4 rear on my TDM. Took 10 min and 16 km of road, average speed was 95 km/h.

[video=youtube;CEaxdNH5Zqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEaxdNH5Zqk[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

gregjet

The 90/270 deg crank makes the tdm and the mt sound almost the same. Now very twisty twisties. Still swedish so I guess you twisties would be more conservative (lol). Did you manage to scrub the chicken strips enough on that road? Road surface looks like a huge variation in traction . shiny bits, rough bits . 10 variations in any cross section of surface. Like a North Queensland road.

D

Deleted member 20

Think I had some 5 mm untouched each side. Had to work harder on another stage the same day. Life is tough.