Run in now

timo

After 3 weeks i have done 1006 miles now the fun starts. I want to ride it all the time just hope the sun keeps shining.

Anthony

I'm over 1000miles now. Yesterday I was racing a Vauxhall Corsa VXR Nurburgring (200BHP) between the lights. Struggled to keep the front wheel down with my wife on the back too :p

Phil_B

Nice one Timo and Anthony. I've just passed 600 so first service this morning shame I've had to hold back the riding this past fortnight as today was the first day I could get it done!

Dropped it off with 603 on the clock. Not too bad a judgement!

Rogerb

Bad news, just picked up the bike so all to do. Does it really need nursing for the first 600? The bike is never going to do many thousands of miles down the line, so how important is it to keep down the fun?

Phil_B

Bad news, just picked up the bike so all to do. Does it really need nursing for the first 600? The bike is never going to do many thousands of miles down the line, so how important is it to keep down the fun?
Each persons judgement call that. I felt it was worth taking it easy. I'm pretty sure they would be shouting about it as a feature if it didn't need running in!

Steve

Running in is subjective really, bare in mind it's a high revving engine, I worked at a car dealers in sales for 6 years and I can tell you this.

We never had a single problem with our demo's and personal cars, we got company cars and would thrash them right out of the box, we
were always told that the pistons and cylinders will seal better if driven hard.

I did this to all my bikes too, ride them hard or the first 100 miles, I think some engineers proove this YEARS ago that running them hard early
made for a better running engine and they also made more power ! ran smoother blaa blaa I think it has something to do with the metal contact surfaces heating up fast for the first time and it forms the perfect seal and surface rather than gently sanding each other down and having issues later down the road so to speak.

Food for thought I guess.....

Steve

Here is one article on breaking in the hard way

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Will145

I guess demo bikes aren't run in, I was told to ride the demo how I want.... So I did. Wonder if any buyers of the demos have problems down the line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

I guess demo bikes aren't run in, I was told to ride the demo how I want.... So I did. Wonder if any buyers of the demos have problems down the line

Exactly !!

And I doubt it.......

When I get mine I'll be riding it normally from the word go.

Steve

Here is another article

http://www.examiner.com/article/how-to-break-a-new-engine

I will be doing what I've always done and what is suggested here

The moment I pick it up I'll be heading to the nearest motorway to get some heavy load on
2/3 and 4th gear for 20-30 miles pushing it hard then some country lanes.

I'll then go to another dealer and do an oil and filter change right away then ride it as normal until the first service.

Hustler

My dealer told me to ride it like you would a secondhand bike, do not mollycoddle it as you need to get rid of the sharp edges (dealers terminology) in the engine and gearbox.
He said if you run it in gently this will not be achieved and the 600 mile oil change will be a waste of time.

Take it easy for the first 100 miles or so as you have new tyres and after that it's good to go.

Steve

My dealer told me to ride it like you would a secondhand bike, do not mollycoddle it as you need to get rid of the sharp edges (dealers terminology) in the engine and gearbox.
He said if you run it in gently this will not be achieved and the 600 mile oil change will be a waste of time.

Take it easy for the first 100 miles or so as you have new tyres and after that it's good to go.
Absolutely

TWISTED

Interesting one this. I was told by Bransons in Yeovil that the engines were pretty much broken in at the factory, and not to worry too much. Trouble is I haven't ridden anything for 15 years so it's more a case of breaking myself back into it.Probably haven't taken it much above 6000 in the first 100 miles (only picked it up last weekend), but that hasn't stopped me being amazed at the acceleration (had to try it but even in 5th at about 40ish it pulls like a train). AMAZING.

badger27

I have noted the grin on directly linked to distance my chin is from tank while twisting the throttle
Love this bike

Sent from my RM-914_eu_euro1_327 using Tapatalk

Ellerslie

I've bought a demonstrator. It had 850 miles on it when I rode it, I would assume that most people who took it out gave it some stick, I certainly did. There were no odd or rattly noises from anywhere and no trace of oil smoke when cold or warm, I checked carefully as i intended on buying it.

I'll let you know how I get on with it when I collect it.

I have owned an ex demo BMW (car) before and it was absolutely fine but I believe car engines are bench run in. I do not understand why bike engines are not.

Last edited: