Rhino Moto Barend Mirror Mounts?

zend

You folks weren't much help :)

I went ahead and ordered the parts. The bar mounts fit perfectly and mirror visibility is much better than with stock mirrors.

A couple of installation notes:

- The stock bar ends were not tightened well at all on my bike. I removed them by hand and with near zero effort. It's worth checking yours whether or not you're interested in changing them out.

- The only installation issue I ran into was a clearance problem with the clutch lever and the new mirror mount. If you're not careful, the tip of your clutch lever can come into contact with the mirror mount. In my case, I didn't notice this until I took the bike out for a test and the clutch got stuck and wouldn't disengage. The fix is just to rotate/mount the mirror such that it clears the clutch. The brake lever is shorter and there is no clearance issue.

- The stock right hand mirror has right-hand threads - might make removal confusing if you're not expecting it.

Hope someone finds this useful.

2014-08-16 15.07.17.jpg

2014-08-16 15.07.37.jpg

Slossy

Very helpful. I think these are the first on this forum hence the lack of replies to your question. This is one mod I think I can get away with, thanks.

Igor

That mirrors look nice, guess it also improves your rear visibility?

Only thing stopping me would be the increase in width as I filter through a lot of stationary tightly packed traffic everyday

busey

I fitted handguards and had the clutch rub so I just slackened the clamp and moved the clutch handle in about 15mm

da1kini

You folks weren't much help :)

I went ahead and ordered the parts. The bar mounts fit perfectly and mirror visibility is much better than with stock mirrors.

A couple of installation notes:

- The stock bar ends were not tightened well at all on my bike. I removed them by hand and with near zero effort. It's worth checking yours whether or not you're interested in changing them out.

- The only installation issue I ran into was a clearance problem with the clutch lever and the new mirror mount. If you're not careful, the tip of your clutch lever can come into contact with the mirror mount. In my case, I didn't notice this until I took the bike out for a test and the clutch got stuck and wouldn't disengage. The fix is just to rotate/mount the mirror such that it clears the clutch. The brake lever is shorter and there is no clearance issue.

- The stock right hand mirror has right-hand threads - might make removal confusing if you're not expecting it.

Hope someone finds this useful.

View attachment 758

View attachment 759
Looks great!! Any ideas what you are going to do with the stock holes? :)

Maybe some skulls or something :) Or maybe some retro aim sights

zend

I fitted handguards and had the clutch rub so I just slackened the clamp and moved the clutch handle in about 15mm
Thank you! This wasn't obvious to me. I've done it now and it allows the mirrors to be mounted in the position I originally preferred.

It doesn't bother a lot of Americans, as quite a few states don't allow filtering.
This is true. As far as I know, lane filtering (which is called "lane splitting" here) is only allowed in California. Even there, it's controversial. Doesn't really matter, though. The CRG arrows are on a ball pivot. It's a simple matter to pop them vertical (or you could just choose to ride with them that way).

2014-08-17 13.05.29.jpg

zend

There's a guy in the UK that sells mirror blanking plugs that should work. Here's a US ebay listing:

Mirror Blanking Plugs Pair Yamaha FZ1 Fazer XJR | eBay

I've confirmed that our mirror bolt holes are M10 x 1.25. You need to order this specific kit that has one right hand and one left hand threaded bolt.

I plan to order this kit but, ironically, can't place an order yet because I'll London next week and won't be here, in the US, to deal with customs. Now if get that guy to meet me in a London alleyway next week, we could probably work something out...

motomeek

I live in CA, and I wouldn't say lane-splitting is controversial, but not common knowledge. It isn't something the DMV decided was important enough to inform those who getting driver's licenses to know; even though there are a good number of us on the road.

I lane-split practically every time I'm on the bike, so these mirrors aren't optimal, but thanks for informing me that they help with visibility. Always wondered what they offered other than a preference to looks. Do you think it's helpful since the FZ07 is more upright? I recently followed behind a fellow on a cafe racer, and I felt he couldn't even see into them being in such a low position.

zend

I live in CA, and I wouldn't say lane-splitting is controversial, but not common knowledge. It isn't something the DMV decided was important enough to inform those who getting driver's licenses to know; even though there are a good number of us on the road.
I was referring to this stuff that's going on around it: California DMV joins motorcycle lane-splitting controversy - LA Times

I do think the mirrors improve visibility. I had a hard time seeing behind me with stocks - even with my left elbow tucked. Much better field of view with the arrows.

motomeek

I was referring to this stuff that's going on around it: California DMV joins motorcycle lane-splitting controversy - LA Times

I do think the mirrors improve visibility. I had a hard time seeing behind me with stocks - even with my left elbow tucked. Much better field of view with the arrows.
What a nice way to put their hands up so they don't share any of the "responsibility." This will just lead to more misinformation.
Yet, they don't have a problem giving me a ticket for lane-splitting "improperly."

Apparently, there's a difference between lane-splitting between the white dotted lines vs. the carpool lane line.
But even prior to this article, there wasn't any guided information that told you this.

Thanks for the head's up. Whenever I encounter someone who seems to want to discuss lane-splitting, I send them to this video from RideApart
[video=youtube_share;JNGD9AAIfFU]http://youtu.be/JNGD9AAIfFU[/video]

zend

Turns out that the right side bar end is acting like a throttle lock. I won't have a chance to try to fix it for a week or so. I'm not sure yet if or how I'll be able to solve it.

TJ63

I've had a similar problem in the past, and managed to get around it using a plastic spacer. If I remember correctly, it was cut from a piece of plumbing pipe.

zend

I've had a similar problem in the past, and managed to get around it using a plastic spacer. If I remember correctly, it was cut from a piece of plumbing pipe.
Thanks for the recommendation. I won't have a chance to play with this for a week (headed your way to London for a few days). I'll see what I can work out when I get back.

Migglesworth

Any update on this mirror causing that throttle issue? I was pretty set on these mirrors and was just about to pull the trigger on them when I saw your post about the locking throttle.

sven11

There is a lane splitting version of CRG mirrors. Check it out. I prefer the oval shape version.