Rear view Mirror

loneranger

Hi guys. Anyone got the same frustration as me. My rear view mirrors are giving me limited safe view of traffic behind me. I've tried to source some extension units but can't seem to find anything for the MT. Any ideas anyone please. I'm relatively new to biking and find it pretty difficult at the moment with the views

RedOne

Relatively old to motorcycling (43 years continuously). Not offering a solution just agreeing with you. Only done about a 100 miles on mine and seem to have been fiddling with them far more than on other bikes. The mirror head looks the business for it's design regarding shape. Appears to be a classic case of form over function.

DJP

Yep, also having issues with the mirrors.

At first I wasn't sure if it was just me not being used to the mirrors being so close (I'm used to fairing mounted mirrors) or if the mirrors were just crap.

Initially, I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

But now I'm gradually coming down on the side of them just being crap!

D

Deleted member 20

The good old mirror design found on my 2011 XJ6 and 2007 TDM works great, both handlebar mounted. I haven't gotten my MT07 yet but I will ask the dealer to swap the stupid mirrors for the older desig ones. Will sort out the safety issue.

P

Peter

I can confirm the mirrors are very stylish but unusable. What is the best? Rise them up or make them wider?
Wide bike is uncomfortable in the city. If you rise it you can see your shoulders instead of your elbow.

Rouqui

as I moved across the lane I heard a very loud "OY!" turned, saw a large, very annoyed bloke on a Guzzi had nearly run into the side of me, he added "Don't you use your mirrors?" Um, yes I do use them but they are too small and not in the best position. I might just add a bar mirror on one side, must do something to avoid being smashed into by the next Guzzi. "sorry mate I didn't see you"

sdrio

Have you noticed, the right hand one has a left hand thread where it attaches to the bars?

Suppose it's something to do with stopping the wind blowing them undone, but can't remember ever seeing it before. Anyway, something to watch if you're ordering replacements.

bones

I had the extenders fitted before I picked the bike up and it's much better but the Allen key bolts do rust as soon as they get wet so need replaceing with stainless
Bolts

Artem

I had the extenders fitted before I picked the bike up and it's much better but the Allen key bolts do rust as soon as they get wet so need replaceing with stainless
Bolts
Do you know the make of your extenders?

bones

Don't know make as Cmc fitted them
Think they're available on eBay for next to nothing and work perfect no vibration etc
Will post pic when I get home

bones

Have posted in photo galleries under modification I think ..... As I couldn't work out how to put the photo on here

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

When I replaced the handlebar (cost = £30) i got +3 cm on each side, from 67 to 73 cm bar width.
Now the stock mirrors works pretty good.

dacreative

When I replaced the handlebar (cost = £30) i got +3 cm on each side, from 67 to 73 cm bar width.
Now the stock mirrors works pretty good.
Hi and30ers !
So far, changing the handlebar is the best way to improve the rear view ?
I can't find good replacement rear view mirros.
i didn't find feedback about extenders. or mirror risers

Which handlebar did you use please ?.

sorry bad english bad grammar, i'm french but i have a treatment for this :D

D

Deleted member 20

I have got 3 sets of Renthal Road Ultra Low, in red for my TDM, in black for the white MT07 and in grey for the grey MT07. Then depending on barends and/or handguards use, you can mount your controls/grips 3-5 cm wider than MT07 stock grip potition, this is per side measures. Got them from eBay UK around £ 30 each.

View attachment 1282
View attachment 1283View attachment 1284

Lexington Stanway

I haven't had a problem with the ability of the mirrors, though adjusting them is difficult. the fact that they can move forward or back but that the arc caused cocks up every other adjustment is my main issue. I actually think the shape is OK, when you're in a bend the angle nicely switches to portrait mode.

I'm 5'10" (180cm) maybe that makes a difference.