Rear Tyre size - what Yamaha says

robodene

As I am seriously considering fitting a 170/60 rear tyre, I thought I would email Yamaha on the subject. Here is what they replied:

"Thank you for your email, in relation to your Yamaha MT-07.

We can advise, that we can only recommend the tyres sizes as stated in your Owner’s Manual, which have undergone the appropriate testing procedures at the factory, prior to going into production.

Subsequently, these Tyres meet all guidelines and requirements concerning subsequent Tyre specifications, for this machine".

!!!

D

Deleted member 20

What can they say? They have to give you just that answer.
And to save money they ship new bikes with old Pilot Road 3 or Bridgestone BT-023 tyres, even though both brands have newer/better tyres in their line-up.
The tyres winning tests both 2015 and 2016 are Metzeler Roadtec 01 (sport touring), Sportec M7RR (sport) and Scorpion Trail II (adv. touring).

Moving to 170/60 will not make your bike perform heaps better, but for sure no worse. I would go Roadtec 01 in 170/60 without hesitation, that's whats fitted to my 09 TDM900A for the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

robodene

I did not expect much from Customer Services, of course. The best one could hope for would be an admission that an alternative would be satisfatory (I have insurers in mind). While I am still in cloud cuckooland, I have directed a response elsewhere in Yamaha - more in hope than anticipation.

nobull

I wouldn't dream of it. The insurers would have a field day stiffing you if you had an accident for sure, and all for no significant benefit. It would have an impact on ride height and therefore stability, side wall profile, grip etc etc. If you want faster handling just fit a tyre with a sportier profile, an aftermarket rear shock or just increase rear preload. As for Yamaha customer service, its a joke. I've had dealings with Suzuki and Honda, that by comparison make Yamaha UK a laughing stock. All other things being equal I wouldn't buy a Yamaha, but lets be honest their bikes are just better than the other two right now!