Painting acrylic screen

Igor

I've fitted a dark smoke puig screen but decided I want the screen to match the bike more. Either matt black or graphite grey.

Question is puig website says it's high impact acrylic, anyone have any tips on how to spray paint acrylic?

Read alot on the net about sanding and primers. Just wondering if anyone has any actual experience of it/advice before I ruin my screen [emoji4]

D

Deleted member 20

Wrap it, best result, least amount of work, you are actually protecting the screen rather than destroying it.
Why not carbon look?

sdrio

I'd also say vinyl wrap it. Will cost you a fiver and you can change it whenever you want. Amazon have a ton of sellers, who sell pieces in all sizes.

Would suggest you take a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fl1WUNofPs

I wrapped my tank, didn't have anyone to help so I couldn't prestretch the vinyl. It was probably way harder to do than doing it the way the guy in the video shows you.

If you haven't got a heatgun, a hairdryer will work.

Igor

Oh never thought of wrapping it. Thought itd be too difficult for a beginner.

Reckon I might give that a go first.

Thanks guys.

sdrio

Oh never thought of wrapping it. Thought itd be too difficult for a beginner.

Reckon I might give that a go first.

Thanks guys.
I'd never done it before, and had a much bigger and more complex shape than a screen - it turned out fine, just take your time.

If you get a bubble, peel back and do again, you can stuck/unstick pretty much indefinitely as far as I can see. Get one of those little squeegee / applicator things, they only cost a couple of quid.

The glue stays on the vinyl, there wasn't any trace of it on the surface I wrapped, even a couple of months later when I removed it.

Igor

Well I wrapped the screen last night with matt black vinyl. Thought it would be easy after watching a bunch of videos from arlon wrap it right. Boy was I wrong.

The puig screen is quite a complicated shape with ridges on it etc. Got a few tiny wrinkles but not bad for a first attempt and looks OK on the bike. I reckon it suits the look better with matt black as it looks more part of the original bike.

With some practice I reckon I can get it better, so if it starts to lift around the ridges I'll rip it off and try again.

Igor

You can just see the crease next to the ridge of the screen but you only notice it close up when the light catches it. I'll get some practice and do it better next time.

Might even try wrapping the tank and front fender sides in gloss white as I've seen the white race blue in the forum that looks really good.

Attachments

Igor

OK so the vinyl wrapping didn't work very well as the shape of the screen is very complicated.... So ripped off the wrapping, sanded the screen with 320 sandpaper then primed with plastic primer spray and then about 3 or 4 coats of matt black car spray and voila!

The finish is really good on it. I tried to find a spray paint that matched the tank but couldn't find an exact colour match so left it matt black.
20150710_162342.jpg
20150710_162351.jpg