Noisy Chain Or something else?

sarandis10

there is a clunky noise coming from the rear wheel of my bike. i took it to the dealer i bought it from and they adjust the chain but you could still hear the noise with the 6th gear. after 400 miles the noise was there again. after the service of 600 mi the noise was gone but the more i ride the bike the more intence it get and it is rather annoying as it goes throught my helmet, any ideas what mite be and how to fix it?

kiriakos

Mine is noisy also. This noise doesnt go away. Maybe is because of the exhaust being too quiet that you hear the chain all the time. I tried cleaning and lubing but the noise is still there.

sdrio

Just a thought - chain noise is very dependent on what's next to you when you ride.

I find if I'm on the open road, it's quiet. If I'm riding next to something solid, say a brick wall, the sound that bounces back is much more noticeable.

Cars have the same effect. On a motorway when it's clear, I can't hear the chain. If I'm passing a car or truck, I can.

Could the difference be something to do with that?

Darren

My chain is also noisy compared to other bikes I have had, I had the garage check at first service and all is good. Due to the bike being quite it is more noticeable and noise level changes when going slow through villages or passing cars. Must just be a characteristic..........ear plugs are the answer!

sarandis10

haha! some ppl suggested to use an ipod or install an acrapovic! ha!
what it worries me is tha sounds gets louder every time! i am not sure if rhis is because the chain stretches. at first it does it with the 6th gear only! then with the 5th. after a while when u ride over a kerb or if u driver over a whole.....and goes on!

AJ Nin

My chain doesn't make any noticeable noise. All I hear is tire meets the road noise, wind noise, and engine/exhaust noise in all gears at all speeds, but no chain noise. If you have a rear stand, you could put the bike in N and spin the rear wheel by hand to make sure there is no axle or bearing noise. Other than that, double check chain alignment and tension.

hahapik

So, after my first 500 km on the MT, it's time for a short review, technically speaking.

First of all, after a 100 km or so, I started to hear a ticking noise, on the left side of the bike. Most of the time, when I was passing close to a buildings/structures/cars. My friend riding her own bike behind me, heard it too, and suggested it came from the plate holder. My plate is so strongly fixed, it could not be it.

I thought whatever, lots of people tell the bike is noisy, so I didn't worry about it too much. After 300 km, the chain was very loose, by loose I mean I could lift it to the swing-arm. So I thought that this is maybe the problem and had it tighten. But the noise was still there, anyways.

The next thing I did think about, is the factory grease they put on at the assembly line. I was thinking from the beginning that it seems a bit "dry". So, after a proper grease spraying two days in a row, after riding in the evening, THE NOISE IS GONE ^^

Was it that easy? Can't really believe it, maybe it's just in my head ^^

Fuel consumption: 4.2L / 100km

Cheers guys :)

geot

Is there any update about the chain noise issue?
I'm greasing it and tighten it also..
But the noise remains..
I even thought about changing it with a better DID serie but the dealer said me that there wouldn't be any change at the noise..
It's quite frustrating for a new bike..

Ralph

Cant say I notice any undue noise on mine, it needed a adjustment at about 300 miles
and I noticed it had been adjusted again at the first service seemed a little on the tight
side to me with the bike on it's stand you can just get the chain to touch the arm if
pushed hard, I do oil it regularly oil not grease and it's not needed adjustment in 2000
miles.
I think part at least of the problem is that the bike is so quiet.

Last edited:

Phil_B

I wonder if it's the chain rubbing on the chain guide. The rubber strip on the top of the swing arm, at the front. Have a look at the alignment of the chain on that.

Being in spec and well oiled or waxed definitely helps my chain run quieter!

geot

The alignment is as it should be..My chain is always noisy..
But when it is loose, it is giving a hell of a party..

Nuggets

I had similar thing when I first had my bike, metallic sound from chain, even a little damage to the finish of the underside of swing arm from the chain, but then i fitted a Scottoiler and since then I've no issues.

jeppebm

I had something similar after first service but it just had to be worn in before it settled properly. Now im without UNwanted noise - the WANTED noise ... is all good! :D

geot

I'm using a motorex chain lubricant almost every 300km but it makes a little difference..
The noise is there, laughing at me..
The same goes with the lubricant that dealer uses..

Yaminator

Its the chain on the sliders and because nobody has had this type of boxed steel swingarm before its making a unique noise...

Its an MT thing.. ;)

Darren

Mine has also been noisy since new, I think it is the noise of the chain rollers being spun as they pass over the rubber chain guide that is on top of the swing arm..........maybe if the chain is slightly tighter then it doesn't make as much contact with the guide and so not as noisy? I use chain wax and it only quiets it down for a while.