Noise when shifting

PeaceMaker

I've been noticing, as the miles go by, the shifting is getting louder.. I hear a "clank" noise shifting up mainly on 3rd and 4rd gears..

Did u noticed something like this?

My chain is tighten to the specified play, ok on lubricant..

Clutch has little play..

Really don't know if that's something to be concerned about..

The gears shift ok thought, no resistance

Last edited:

cosmikdebriis

2nd-3rd gear change...

I keep missing 3rd when selecting up from second. Seems to have got a bit worse and is a bit annoying as I find I have to re select to get it in there.

Maybe I'm short changing but it's not something I noticed for the first hundred or so miles. Apart from that the box seems pretty good, not perfect but okay.

Anybody else noticed anything similar?

mike83

No problem in miss shift but my 3 and 4 gear is very loud whenn i speed shifting . Sounds like a broken bone :D

sdrio

Mine did exactly that in the first couple of hundred miles, then either I got used to it, or whatever was causing it settled down. It happened 4 or 5 times.

Hasn't happened since then, I have done almost a thousand miles now, had it for about 6 weeks.

Tricky

I've done just under 300 miles on my bike and the 3rd gear issue has arisen on my bike, just hope its a running in issue which will smooth out as I carry on running it in till my first service.

noticed when shifting from second into third the lever doesnt return sometimes so doesnt change gear. but still running the bike in so not giving it hand fulls. possibly the bar will need adjustment as everything beds in.

Phil_B

Mine is v clunky sometimes (nearly 2000 miles done), to the extent I have to kick a bit to make sure it goes in. Other days it's fine.

Sometimes I wonder if it's me, others it feels like the bike being a bothersome. I might do a 3k oil change and see if that helps.

Last edited:

Gaulois

I find the shifting on the MT to be very rough. Every time I shift, up or down, to have a very definite CLUNK. Most of other bikes I have owned, if memory serve me well, have been a lot smoother. What's your impression?

Ralph

First job is to make sure the clutch and chain are adjusted correctly,
make sure when you change gear that you push the peddle all the way
and let it come back all the way it is very easy to just have your boot
putting that little bit of pressure on it and if it does not return to it's correct
position you don't get full movement on the next change,
mine seems to like quick changes it does not do slow and deliberate.

spencer

Clonking when changing gears is mainly down to a lose chain sort that and then check the clutch cable adjustment. its all down to poor maintances.

Phil_B

Mine is v clunky sometimes (nearly 2000 miles done), to the extent I have to kick a bit to make sure it goes in. Other days it's fine.

Sometimes I wonder if it's me, others it feels like the bike being a bothersome. I might do a 3k oil change and see if that helps.
I have to say with a bit of time and an oil change passed, and chain and clutch definitely in spec (I had been over tightening the clutch slack the local yamaha garage said) I don't have these problems anymore. It's a nice box.

gregjet

Clunky yamaha gearboxes are rarely a faulty gearbox. MOST likely is the type of boot and gearchange position. Next a clutch issue possibly adjusted for too much lever travel or broken outer cable. Chain too loose also a possibility but yammy gearboxes usually don't care about that. Some bikes plain and simply don't like some oils. That is likely to be the cause if you have have no trouble , change to an offending oil and the problem appears. SV650 have a hatred of several oils even in the Cagiva Raptor. No idea why. So do VTR250's could be related to firing order ( 90/270) like ours so may be a possibility related to assymetric torque curve. Now that I think of it Ducati's are so oil finiky, it is ridiculous.
I would be looking at boot/ lever position first. My girlfriend noticed she had real problems changing MT07 when we swapped ( from her KTM690 Duke) cause she couldn't get her boot between the peg and the lever comfortably.

gbium

Clunky yamaha gearboxes are rarely a faulty gearbox. MOST likely is the type of boot and gearchange position. Next a clutch issue possibly adjusted for too much lever travel or broken outer cable. Chain too loose also a possibility but yammy gearboxes usually don't care about that. Some bikes plain and simply don't like some oils. That is likely to be the cause if you have have no trouble , change to an offending oil and the problem appears. SV650 have a hatred of several oils even in the Cagiva Raptor. No idea why. So do VTR250's could be related to firing order ( 90/270) like ours so may be a possibility related to assymetric torque curve. Now that I think of it Ducati's are so oil finiky, it is ridiculous.
I would be looking at boot/ lever position first. My girlfriend noticed she had real problems changing MT07 when we swapped ( from her KTM690 Duke) cause she couldn't get her boot between the peg and the lever comfortably.
I get the same issue. Originally rode with a more low profile boot (more like a hiking boot than a bike boot). Since I've switched to a bike boot I can't get 4th upwards consistently unless I edge my foot out to the side and only use the very end of the gear selector. Is it possible to adjust for this does anyone know (other than getting a narrower foot :p)?

goloso_b

I have had the same clunky gearbox issue. I checked the clutch cable tension and chain slack, but they seemed within spec.
I decided to ride to the dealer to ask for advice and used my summer boots, with a much slimmer profile, instead of my chunky winter boots. There was definitely an improvement there regarding noise and smoothness with the new boots, but the clunkyness was still present.

Once the mechanic had a look to the bike, he adjusted the clutch cable. It turned out I had measured the slack incorrectly because I had replaced the original levers with Puig short levers. Apart from that, my heated grips were a bit loose and had rotated a fraction, interfering with the free travel of the lever.

To sum up, adjust your clutch cable correctly and try again to see if some of the noise goes away. Up to 3rd gear it is a bit noisy in this bike, but from there it should be smooth (that is what the dealer told me to expect).
If it is of any use to you, he told me to look for a 0.5 - 1 mm gap at the BASE of the lever.