New Yamaha Mt-10

Noggie

CP4 is still an cross frame inline 4. Still think it is the stupidist configuration of a motor you can put on a motorcycle. I can go a V4, but why make a motor on a motorcycle as wide as possible? A motorcycle's biggest limit on top speed is air resistance. That is also why naked love is a bit wierd. Even a fully faired motorcycle is almost twice the form factor wind resistance of a domestic car. Make no sense from any engineering perspective ( except chain drive ease of mating). Inline cross frame CAR engines don't really make sense either unless you are driving the front wheels and look where that got us...
That should stir a few hornets...

I do like a proper electronic cruise control though. I would considering buying one just for that...if it was a 4..
A 4 is still better than a boxer engine when it comes to width, though the boxer might have an advantage in getting the center of gravity low.
Although I do like a growling twin, I really like a screaming 4, too bad the crossplane 4 don't sound like an inline 4.

Given the max legal speed limits in most countries, air resistance should not be an issue on any motorcycle :)

As for cars, I have had one FWD car in my life, never again :)

gregjet

Air resistance becomes a factor from about 50kph, Especially with parachutes like nakeds.
I agree to some extent with the boxer arguement, Though it is possible to make a crossframe boxer motorcycle motor have a lower profile than cross frame inline 4. BMW's boxer was originally designed as a sidecar motor for which it makes perfect sense. A inline boxer has a lot to recommend it unless it is aircooled . Then the rear cyl. tended to get a little toasty ( there were several inline boxers I THINK Douglas made one for a start).
Funny you say that about the CP4 sound. I actually prefer the CP4 sound to the conventional smoother sound of single plane 4's. That may be a function, at least partially, of the "new" sonic physics exhausts Yamaha is using to get around the conventional out of phase exhaust mating.
Most cars you can buy , in this country anyway, are cross frame 4 FWD's. The ones that aren't are the big fuel guzzlers and are pretty much dieing as a market. I have a Subaru. So I have a boxer AND a front wheel drive ( OK 4 wheel drive but the front wheels are driven).

Noggie

Air resistance becomes a factor from about 50kph, Especially with parachutes like nakeds.
I agree to some extent with the boxer arguement, Though it is possible to make a crossframe boxer motorcycle motor have a lower profile than cross frame inline 4. BMW's boxer was originally designed as a sidecar motor for which it makes perfect sense. A inline boxer has a lot to recommend it unless it is aircooled . Then the rear cyl. tended to get a little toasty ( there were several inline boxers I THINK Douglas made one for a start).
Funny you say that about the CP4 sound. I actually prefer the CP4 sound to the conventional smoother sound of single plane 4's. That may be a function, at least partially, of the "new" sonic physics exhausts Yamaha is using to get around the conventional out of phase exhaust mating.
Most cars you can buy , in this country anyway, are cross frame 4 FWD's. The ones that aren't are the big fuel guzzlers and are pretty much dieing as a market. I have a Subaru. So I have a boxer AND a front wheel drive ( OK 4 wheel drive but the front wheels are driven).
In Norway the max legal speed limit is 100kph, so wind resistance is not really a huge issue for us unless we want to risk paying a hefty fine or do time.
Though better aerodynamics may have an impact on consumption.
I see naked bikes as a "fun bike", not intended for high speed driving, but for around town, and mountain roads. I have a lot more fun tearing up a mountain road at 70kph, than going 300kph down a straight. But I guess we all have different opinions on what is fun, and that is a good thing.

I think the best sounding engines in the world is a screaming Lamborghini V12, is the closest you get to a F1 sounding car on the street, well the proper sounding F1 cars from a few years back that is, the new F1 sound is crap.
Hearing i.e a BMW S1000rr close to redline produces a near F1 sound, sadly the CP4 don't really do that.

Most cars are FWD now a days, thankfully there are a few manufacturers that still make "proper cars" :)
I have a V12 BMW and a i6 BMW in the garage and I haven't had FWD or less than 6 cylinders since 2002. I'll admit my daily driver is also AWD, a change I made 1,5 years ago.
As I typically drive 10-12.000km combined a year the fuel budget is probably the smallest one so I don't really care about consumption.

KEVINJSTANLEY

I went into local dealers a large one in Chester and told them I would want a test drive of the MT 10 when it comes in, now I get on with them ok and they told me they hope to a have a demo but......... like the new R1 they struggled to get the numbers delivered and therefore could not possibly do a demo if they only get 1 bike delivered.......what a bummer !!!
wonder if car dealers have this issue

Noggie

I went into local dealers a large one in Chester and told them I would want a test drive of the MT 10 when it comes in, now I get on with them ok and they told me they hope to a have a demo but......... like the new R1 they struggled to get the numbers delivered and therefore could not possibly do a demo if they only get 1 bike delivered.......what a bummer !!!
wonder if car dealers have this issue
Pretty much never bought a car I did not test drive first, why should bikes be different????

bubbles

This has got my name all over it if they get it right.

If the bike doesn't suit me an aggressive price point might cause a reduction for other bikes in the super naked arena. I'm looking at you S1000R & GSX-S1000 :p

bubbles

Righto, I went to the bike show at the NEC today and they had the MT-10 there in the flesh available to sit on and everything. Now, I really wanted to like this bike but the one on display just looked cheap. The horrible grey panels on the side and the tank are really flimsy tacky cheap ass plastic and the switch gear feels wobbly and just rubbish. I spoke with a Yamaha rep and reported what I could see and they told me that "It's a final version and will be priced accordingly ". From what I could see today this is going to be a cheap super naked with Yamaha hoping that the engine is soooooo good that people ignore how crap the rest of it looks and feels.

I feel robbed.

The same crappy grey plastic trim has also found it's way onto 2016 models of the MT07 & 09 as well. It really is something you have to see with your own eyes. The other colours on the MT07 & 09 looked good to be fair so hopefully the alternative MT-10 choices are better (the rest of it still seems cheap though).

More positive news now, the XSR900 looks the dogs bollox in the blue colour and i'll be fishing for a test ride in March when they hit the showrooms :) I haven't ridden an MT-09 since I tried a '14 with the crappy throttle but the Yamaha guy assured me that is well and truly fixed now, and this model is well sorted.

Noggie

Righto, I went to the bike show at the NEC today and they had the MT-10 there in the flesh available to sit on and everything. Now, I really wanted to like this bike but the one on display just looked cheap. The horrible grey panels on the side and the tank are really flimsy tacky cheap ass plastic and the switch gear feels wobbly and just rubbish. I spoke with a Yamaha rep and reported what I could see and they told me that "It's a final version and will be priced accordingly ". From what I could see today this is going to be a cheap super naked with Yamaha hoping that the engine is soooooo good that people ignore how crap the rest of it looks and feels.

I feel robbed.

The same crappy grey plastic trim has also found it's way onto 2016 models of the MT07 & 09 as well. It really is something you have to see with your own eyes. The other colours on the MT07 & 09 looked good to be fair so hopefully the alternative MT-10 choices are better (the rest of it still seems cheap though).

More positive news now, the XSR900 looks the dogs bollox in the blue colour and i'll be fishing for a test ride in March when they hit the showrooms :) I haven't ridden an MT-09 since I tried a '14 with the crappy throttle but the Yamaha guy assured me that is well and truly fixed now, and this model is well sorted.
Hmmm. this is not what I wanted to hear as a really liked the styling of the new MT-10, but I did want the gloss black one and customise it with some red accents.

Might have to revert back to the BMW S1000r plan then...... to match my 4 wheel toys and have a full BMW fleet...... unless the MT-10 comes out a bargain, which I doubt due to our taxes.