New member from Finland

Kaff

Hey all!

I'm J-P (but known as Kaff on various forums) from Finland, 31 year-old chap with an order filed for an MT-07. I guess you could say I'm kind of new to bikes, I took my license tests three years ago and rode an -86 Honda XBR 500 café racer since then. I love working on bikes, but unfortunately I don't have the time or facilities to do that in my current place of residence. I also love to ride, and decided to get a reliable, fun small bike for this season - something I could just ride and enjoy without worrying it's endurance.

So at the end of last season I started looking for alternatives. The first one that caught my eye was a 2007 KTM 960 Duke. I took it for a test drive and found out that the supermotard riding position just wasn't for me. A month ago I sold my XBR to someone who'd carry on the project and I was set on getting either a Buell XB9S, a Triumph Street Triple or a Ducati Monster S2R 800. Never had the chance to test-drive any of those before I saw a youtube add on an MT-07.

I went to my local Yamaha dealer to ask about it. They had one on display, but it wasn't registered yet so no chance for a test-drive. They suggested I try the MT-09 since it has "nearly the same stance with a slightly more punchy engine". I tried it and was terrified the whole time. See the XBR put out merely 44HP, so getting on a 115HP bike just felt scary. I found the MT-09 throttle response too twitchy, and just didn't feel in control.

A week later they registered the MT-07 and I finally got to test-drive it. I found it so much more confidence inspiring, easy to ride but at the same time more than enough punch to keep my adrenaline pumping. I placed an order on one the next day. I may have to wait till june or even further for my bike - the dealer said every bike shop in Finland are struggling to get the MT-07's to their customers.. I took the sports screen and the iPhone dock accessories on mine - the latter for navigation and the first because I found the wind force overwhelming on the torso at speeds from 130 kph. Hopefully it'll work!

Anyways, this is beginning to look like a great community, and I hope to share my thrills of a brand new MT-07 with you guys in the not-so-distant-future.

Kaff

hello mate what colour did you order? tell me you order deep armour!
To be honest, I couldn't decide between matt grey and deep armour.. So I told the dealer I'll take which ever he gets his hands on first. Now that I've examined A LOT of pictures of the bike, I'm starting to lean towards matt grey. Deep armour has an outstandingly beautiful tone to the tank and fender - in person it looks even better than in photos, a deep purple, almost black indoors, which really starts to shine under sunlight. However, I don't like the fact that it has a silver frame and white lines on the rims. The matt grey has black frame and black rims and the finish on the tank is pretty cool in person! ... so I might still contact the salesman with another condition: If he gets to decide on the colour, take matt grey over deep armour.

Phil_B

Welcome along Kaff, a good first post and I hope the wait isn't too painful. Are you bikeless in the meantime?

Kaff

Are you bikeless in the meantime?
I'm afraid so.. But then again - I'm in the final stages of writing my Master's thesis, so it might be a good thing I don't have too many distractions right now. I have a deadline with the thesis in mid May so the bike might arrive as a great price for all the hard work.

...btw do you guys see those quotes as html-code? If not, it just might be an issue with my browser..

Last edited:

Phil_B

Indeed Kaff with a masters on the go that might be a sensible way to approach it.

It shows as html for quotes in web view but not on Tapatalk where it looks normal.

I'll let Admin know.

Ridelightning

Welcome Kaff and very nice to meet you here. On the color choice thing, I wouldn't worry too much. Matt grey or deep armour are both very nice (as are the other combos for that matter) and I would just try to get the bike asap.

Kaff

I just need to vent a bit, apologies :)

So I pre-ordered my MT-07 mid April, and got an estimated delivery date till late May/early June. Well, June came and the dealer put my hopes up by stating that the bike should arrive to Finland on June 14th. June 16th came and the dealer told me they had "misunderstood an e-mail from the importer" and that my new due date is at the end of July. Now we're past mid July and the dealer has no new info on the delivery date, but since they still haven't heard anything from Yamaha, I'm guessing I won't be receiving my bike during July..

Anyone living in Finland knows how brief our riding seasons are and the waiting is killing me. The weather has been absolutely beautiful here during the whole July and I'm still without a bike. I have a two week long holiday starting at the end of next week and was hoping to take the MT-07 for a ride across Finland, but looks like it's not gonna happen (...but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a miracle).

Finland is also notorious for it's extremely expensive insurances so I've decided to try and postpone my delivery date till March 2015 if the bike doesn't arrive in the next two to three weeks..

I suspect the reason for my long wait is simple: Finland is a fairly small market area for Yamaha and gets passed over by orders from more prominent market areas inside EU. We get the last bikes once everyone else is happy. Still, it is what it is and there's nothing I can do about it. I might be able to ride this season or not.. And who knows, maybe 2015 brings up even more interesting bikes to choose from!

Kaff

I've now driven approximately 2700 km's on the MT-07 and have enjoyed them all! I received my bike after a crushiating 4 month wait so for that part the wait is over. But I'm now up for a new wait: my Yamaha Sports Screen for the MT-07 :) . I've now waited about a month and just received info that I'll be looking at another 3 weeks more of waiting and even then it's iffy it'll show up..

As much as I love the MT-07, this has got to be one of the worst purchase experiences I've ever had. I've learnt long ago not to say "never", but currently I feel like I'll NEVER buy another Yamaha again. My season 2014 is closing in on it's final weeks of riding and I missed majority of it. Yamaha, next time please prepare properly before launching a new bike!

.... still, the MT-07 kicks ass!! :)