MT 07 Vs BMW F800R

mrirvs

Just in case anyone was wondering how these two bikes compare, I test rode the MT-07 already owning an F800R and all I can say is if the MT was available last June I would never have bought the F800.

I'm 5'6" and the MT fits me perfectly, it feels so compact compared to the F800 and when you start it up it has that wonderful, although very muted, off beat V twin feel to it, and I reckon with the right after market pipe it is going to sound awesome.

The engine feels SO much stronger at the bottom end and the midrange than my F800. It hasn't got the free revving surge at 5K like the F800 has but it really isn't that far away. in comparison the bottom end feels like a 1000cc bike against the F800. It feels lower geared than the F800 which probably accounts for some the extra bottom end urge, but I don't care it feels fabulous just like the throttle is directly connected to the back wheel.

The thing that also struck me was how perfect the constant throttle fuelling is even in higher gears at low revs I felt NO surging whatsoever, and no snatching from the drivetrain, something you couldn't say about the F800 without having to spend some cash on fuelling device.

The handling is an easy match for the F800 round sweeping and tight bends, although a little harsher on the UK's pothole filled roads. The riding position is definitely 'attack' like you're right over the front but I love that and miss that from my 950SM.

The only places that the F800 beats really it is the seat comfort, it started feeling hard after just 40 miles but again there will be solutions to this. The bike was showing 53mpg when I flicked through the dash functions and I assume no one treats demo bikes with a gentle hand :)

The end result? I've traded the BMW in and pick up a race blue ABS on Monday morning, trouble is I can't sleep ......

Phil_B

Nice post, thats a useful comparison. I learned on one of those BM twins (the F700gs) and thought they were great all round bikes. Haven't quite got to fully compare to the MT yet, as running mine in.

I did quite like the size and mass, and longer gearing of the F700 on bigger roads (though a screen and being fully run in might help the MT), but the MT feels more fun!

I hope the next few days don't drag too much!

Last edited:

TJ63

I've had a ride on a couple of the BMW 800s, including the GT which got good reviews, but neither of them can compare with the MT. I can't fault it, and I can't wait to get mine, hopefully next weekend.

TJ

mrirvs

I've had a fair few bikes over the years and my favourites have all been singles or twins. Fast as the inline fours were they just weren't as much fun as the others, just seemed blander at 'normal' speeds, great at higher revs but I like a bike to make me smile for the whole journey and the 950SM and now the MT fit that bill so well. Right after pulling out of the dealers forecourt for the test ride I knew the F800's days were over :)

1 more sleep .......

mrirvs

Picked up the MT yesterday now I'm a happy chappy even running it in is fun.

I'll get some pix on here as soon as the sun shines again.