mr07 vs er6n

akyros

its in french but you'll get an idea

Kawasaki ER-6N vs Yamaha MT-07 : Fausses jumelles, vraies ennemies ! - Moto Station

Kawasaki_ER-6n_Yamaha_MT-07_courbes.jpg
[h=4]Power and torque readings to the crankshaft (standard CE95 / 1)[/h]Kawasaki ER-6n (red curves): 78.7 hp at 9160 rev / min, 7 kgm at 7158 rev / min Yamaha MT-07 (green curves): 82.1 hp at 9136 rev / min, 7, 5 mkg at 6519 rev / min

[h=4]Power and torque returned to the wheel[/h]Kawasaki ER-6n (red curves): 72.1 hp at 9160 rev / min, 6.4 kgm at 7158 rev / min Yamaha MT-07 (green curves): 75.1 hp at 9136 rev / min, 6.9 kgm at 6519 rev / min

[h=4]Average consumption recorded during the test[/h]Kawasaki ER-6n: 6.1 l/100 km Yamaha MT-07: 4.8 l/100 km

[h=4]Kerb Weight audited[/h]Kawasaki ER-6n: 205 kg (102 AV, 103 AR), 204 kg announced Yamaha MT-07: 180 kg (88 AV, 92 AR), 179 kg announced

Ralph

I haven't yet ridden a MT but owed a Versys which is more or less a ER-6 for 3 years,
it never felt slow but there was a very definite surge at about 7000 rpm were you can
see the torque curve start to rise, will be interesting to compare once I get a MT.

akyros

i have ridden both,and i can tell for sure that the mt is way more user-friendly, easier and sweeter drive than the er

Phil_B

This is a comparison I am interested as I very nearly bought an er6f and still like them. Akyros, whilst the mt is easier to ride; does the er6 feel more like a big bike? Perhaps I have got used to the mt now, but it doesn't have that big bike feel like the ones I learned on.

Based on that, I do wonder if I'd get a nasty surprise if I tried to ride something bigger in future?

akyros

recently i tried
gsr 600,hornet 600,cbf 600, the er6 and the mt
mt was the best for everyday use

er is a soft an easy everyday city bike,and my second choice

Rouqui

so where most of us will be, from 3000 to 7000rpm the Yam is slightly ahead, that's good as I have an MT-07. Possibly the Kawa having more weight will feel steadier long distance

cosmikdebriis

Oddly I compared the MT with the ER6"F" as opposed the the "N", Partly because I would have preferred an MT 07F but didn't have the option.

The MT won hands down in lightness, chuckability, acceleration and was just loads more fun to ride. At 100mph the ER6 was comfortable but it was virtually unbearable on the MT.

Ralph

Having now ridden both the MT is very noticeably lighter and smoother, pulls quite a bit better at
low revs better for the kind of riding I do round country roads were the well mine was a Versys would
hang back a little then come in with a rush unless you were in just the right gear the MT will pull hard
no matter what gear it's in within reason, the MT feels more like a SV Suzy than a ER, but better and
lighter than both.

L

Lonerider

Can't wait to get my FZ-07 (end of june). I owned a SV650S 2003. I demo ride the Kawasaki Versys 650 and the ER6N. I truly hated the kawasaki's twin. Much too vibey. Over here, at this side of the pond, the ER6N is not a good seller. As many of the naked bikes available here. It seems that a fairing is a strong selling point here (look and protection). But, more and more models are coming.

Loved the feeling of the SV's motor. Was not impressed with the soft suspension. Because my track days are over, i don't think that the bargain suspension of the FZ will be a problem for me.

L

Lonerider

Just get from a demo ride (organized by Yamaha Canada). I'm really impressed with the bike. I hated my demo ride with the Kawa ER6N because of the motor's vibration. Good amount of torque down low for the FZ-07. My impressions remind me of my 2003 SV650S. Because, i sold it in 2005 (didn't like the racer ergos, except for trackdays), i can't honestly say wich one has the best suspension. Both seem in the soft side. For a 2 years period i owned a SV650 and FZ6. I dreamed for a bike with the suspension of the FZ6 with the motor of the SV (i don't like very much peaky motor, except for motocross). If the SV, the ER6N and the FZ-07 were at the same price tag. My choice is the Yamaha. But wait, the FZ-07 costs less.

da1kini

I have had an ER at 100 mph they are rock solid , MT 80 mph is max
nah man, dont agree with that. Nothing in an ER thats better than the mt 07 in those speeds- unless you are comparing to an ER6-F? than your not comparing right....er6f is not a naked bike as I am assure you know.

bones

I agree with you Akyros
I've had the bike well in excess of those speeds and it's totally stable
But your body is taking all the wind !!

cosmikdebriis

I test rode the ER6F which was indeed good for 100 mph without too much buffeting. By comparison it was almost impossible to hold on to the 07 at the same speed but the bike felt completely at ease.

On my bike I find 70mph comfortable though noticeable. 80mph rideable but uncomfortable (okay for short bursts) and above that.... I'll let you know when I'm run in.

Of course, as mentioned, that's not really a like for like comparison.

So... For the moment, Kawasaki has the advantage speed wise with the faired bike... Until (and I'd bet my bike on it) Yamaha release a faired version which will almost certainly be better than the Kawasaki.

Only real advantage I can see of the faired bike would be distance work and motorway riding. But if I wanted to do that I'd not use either.

Lexington Stanway

I've only ridden the ER on a test ride for about an hour, the MT I now own and have 1300 miles on. High speed is not what the MT is good at, my commute has fast roads in it and the point where I personally feel it's not worth the neck strain could be 100mph or could be 80 (on closed roads and test tracks, which I commute on) depending on the wind direction. I haven't ridden the ER that fast, but if I recall correctly the MT geometry is a wee bit more towards the 'steery' side and not the 'stable' side. It's a short bike with a steep rake and no fairing.

Can you ride it that fast? Yes. If you are mainly riding at those speeds should you buy an MT07? No - the strength of this bike is traffic, towns, any maybe stunt and motogymcana in time, but it's a lot more comfortable and stable under 80.

I still bought the Yamaha over the ER6F, and I don't regret it. I love my ride to work and soon I will have the neck of a champion war giraffe, but I can totally understand fairing envy. We really need yamaha to just bring out the faired version already, they already pissed in Kawasaki's cornflakes, they may as well finger it's daughter in the shed while it's asleep.

Since you ask, I have a long dull video discussing the merits of the MT over the ER and SV on youtube. Wow I just checked and I'm up to 9 dislikes. A personal best.

Phil_B

Ha. I've seen it Lexington. I'd put it out there in the more odd end of the spectrum. Some moments of comedy gold (in a sort of Mighty Booth, Garth Marengi kind of way).. but mainly odd! ;-)

Though "Eeeeeeeerrrrrrr 6.N." is a quality contribution to the biking vernacular.

Lexington Stanway

Ha. I've seen it Lexington. I'd put it out there in the more odd end of the spectrum. Some moments of comedy gold (in a sort of Mighty Booth, Garth Marengi kind of way).. but mainly odd! ;-)

Though "Eeeeeeeerrrrrrr 6.N." is a quality contribution to the biking vernacular.
Interesting you should say that there has been some movement in the profession toward the consensus that I may actually be a mental. I'm perfectly harmless to any who would not defy me, so I'm not too worried.