Maximum Load

sharky

The manual sais:

Maximum load:
MT07 176 kg (388 lb)
MT07A 173 kg (381 lb)
(Total weight of rider, passenger, cargo and accessories)

What does that mean that if I weigh 100 kg and I want to take my buddy on a trip and he weighs 90 or 100 kg?

What are the consequences of overloading the bike 30-40kg (66-88 pounds)? Is it strictly forbidden ?

D

Deleted member 20

I would say it's forbidden, at least in my country. 200 kg on the MT07 is a lot for the bike to handle, expect rear to sag heavily, impact handling negatively, lift the front wheel, accellerate and brake slowly etc. Be sure to add tire pressure to 2.5bar/36psi front and 2.9bar/42psi rear before you go.

200 kg load is a lot on any bike. Fat tourers like FJR1300 have max loads around 210 kg.

sdrio

Mine wallows noticeably with my 11 year old daughter on the back, and I doubt she's any more than about 40kg (I'm about 100).

Legal or not, it will handle like a bus.

D

Deleted member 20

90+90 kg on my TDM900A is a breeze, no problem at all. :)

Donut

The manual sais:

Maximum load:
MT07 176 kg (388 lb)
MT07A 173 kg (381 lb)
(Total weight of rider, passenger, cargo and accessories)

What does that mean that if I weigh 100 kg and I want to take my buddy on a trip and he weighs 90 or 100 kg?

What are the consequences of overloading the bike 30-40kg (66-88 pounds)? Is it strictly forbidden ?

I'd jack up the pre-load, give it a go and see how it feels.

Be prepared for it to be a bit sluggish and wallowy though.

sharky

I understand that driving will be totally different and need extra precautions, but my real concern is, will overloading the bike 10/20/30kg's (22/44/66 lbs) cause any damage to the bike?

and30ers how do your MT's handle with 90+90kg (if tested)?

p.s. Thank you all for the tips.

gregjet

The MT has a very soft front and particularly rear and is very poorly damped. It will feel like rubbish with 2 people on it. The best single modification you can do to this bike is to fit a good aftermarket shock with the correct rate spring. It transforms the bike completely.

sharky

The MT has a very soft front and particularly rear and is very poorly damped. It will feel like rubbish with 2 people on it. The best single modification you can do to this bike is to fit a good aftermarket shock with the correct rate spring. It transforms the bike completely.
Which after market shock's would you suggest for this bike? Cost?

Noggie

I weigh close to 110kg with my gear on, I set my preload to 8 to get the bike feel less vage, still handles poorly.
Think a front/rear Ohlins kit is the way to go this winter...... or a new bike :)

jimyu

With my wife on the back we're at around 180kg I would imagine with gear on. I have it on max preload anyway (I'm 110kg) and I am pleasantly surprised with how it rides. I don't touch the tyre pressures either.

sdrio

Do you think And30ers went quiet 'cos his wife found out he told everyone she weighs 90kg and has buried him under the patio?

D

Deleted member 20

Do you think And30ers went quiet 'cos his wife found out he told everyone she weighs 90kg and has buried him under the patio?
I'm 82 kg (measured) and my wife 65 kg (claimed). She has her own bike (the MT) and never rides back on my TDM.

The 90 + 90 was my neighbour riding bitch to the dealers picking up his new Honda SH300i. Scooters, you know, are for men who like bikes but prefer to feel the wind on their vagina.

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

I'm 82 kg (measured) and my wife 65 kg (claimed). She has her own bike (the MT) and never rides back on my TDM.

The 90 + 90 was my neighbour riding bitch to the dealers picking up his new Honda SH300i. Scooters, you know, are for men who like bikes but prefer to feel the wind on their vagina.
Hey, I've got a scoo . . . .

Never mind.

Donut

Which after market shock's would you suggest for this bike? Cost?

I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find loads of info about new front and/or rear suspension.

I bought a Nitron rear shock and Andreani fork internals. Cost approx £1000 fully installed and set up and had completely transformed the bike.

D

Deleted member 20

Guess most of you have already seen this video, but it's still a good one :)

https://vimeo.com/132725292

[video=vimeo;132725292]https://vimeo.com/132725292[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralph

In all the 50 or so years I have ridden bikes I can honestly say I don't have a clue
as to the max load of a single one, I just take into account how it feels and ride accordingly.

gregjet

One two up wierdie for you.
In the early eighties I had one of my favourite bikes a Honda CX500. The really wierd thing ( and I didn't understand why at the time) is that the bike handles BETTER two up. Admittedly I had S&W low pressure Gas shocks and springs but it actually handles better. The reason.: CX500's were the ultimate expression of Honda's weight forward philosophy ( actually I have no idea if it was an actual philosophy or if they just didn't have a clue how to make a bike handle). The front weight bias was so bad , that when you took the front wheel out ( to again replace the cam chain unless you modded it like I did) and it was on the centrestand it still need a hydraulic jack to stop it falling forward. Putting a passenger on it moved the weight bias back enough to balance the bike despite the extra load. I would love to get my hands on one to cafe racer style it now , knowing what I now know.