LED flashers Vs stock

pengjn

Are LED flashers brighter than the stock (halogen?) flashers or do they just look cool (nothing wrong with that)? If they add a bit more visibility/safety then I might get a set. Thoughts?

allyw71

They can be designed to look better, but I don't think they offer any better or worse functionality.

Gaz2212

Hi pengjn
I have led indicators on mine, they are no brighter or no safer than the originals, just look a load better. Dealer did me a deal on them when I bought the bike, yam originals. You'll find pics of them in modifications section, thread mods so far with pics
Cheers Gaz

mtdog

Hi, What flasher unit did they use please? I want to fit rizoma led indicators but it needs an led flasher unit then.

Gaz2212

Hi
All you need is an electronic flasher unit, the original flasher has only 2 connections an electronic flasher will have a third terminal all you need to do is earth this terminal
The original flasher works via a thermal resistive break which is controlled by the load the bulbs create, an electronic flasher is circuit board controlled as the led's don't create enough load
Cheers
Gaz

mtdog

I've been told the mt07 flasher unit has 4 terminals, can anyone confirm please? Summat to do with the hazards?

Gaz2212

Hi mtdog

I have the original flasher unit at work, I am sure it only has 2 terminals but I will double check for you on Monday

Another thought though, don't the rizoma indicators come with load resistors built in, if so you will not need to do anything with the oe flasher unit, just fit the indicators and they should work

Livestrong

I've demounted all the protection caps for installing a Pilot xenon headlight and a DNA air-filter. Was a much bigger job than I thought!
That's why I wanted to know what should I have to change for installing the front and rear Yamaha led blinkers? They will arrive at the end of next month.
Is there somewhere a "how to"?
Just to be prepared so I don't have to demount all the caps again.

Thanks!

Gaz2212

If you fit led indicators there is 2 ways of getting them to work properly

Method 1 and in my opinion not the best

You can fit load resistors to the led indicators, these are wired across the 2 wires going to each indicator. The issue I personally have with this method is that the load resistors generate heat quite quickly when they are in use. In my 26 years as an auto electrician I have never come across a good time to mix heat and wiring looms

Method 2 and in my opinion the better way

Fit your indicators to the original wiring and change the flasher unit to an electronic flasher unit. The original flasher unit is located behind the left side tank panel, it is a 2 wire unit and will need to be changed for a 3 wire electronic version. Any automotive 12 volt flasher will do the job

The best way to do the job is to solder 2 wires onto the original wiring loom. 1 of these wires will be a 12 volt feed, you will need to meter the wires to find out which, once you have your 12v connect this wire to your new flasher unit terminal 49, the second wire you have connects to the terminal marked 49a, this is the common wire coming from the indicator switch, the third terminal you have will be marked 31 this needs to be connected to an earth point

Once connected like this you will have the correct flash rate for the indicators and hazards

Livestrong you could do all this while stripped down and it will still work with the original indicators whilst you wait for your led ones to arrive

Below is a picture of the original flasher unit showing only 2 pin

Attachments

Livestrong

Gaz2212, thank you for this helpfull information! I will do it like you prefer it, so the only thing I need extra is 3 wired electronic flasher unit.
I'm a mechanic, not an electrician so I don't know a lot about it, where could I buy this unit? Or if I go to a shop what should I ask for?

Thanks again!

Gaz2212

Gaz2212, thank you for this helpfull information! I will do it like you prefer it, so the only thing I need extra is 3 wired electronic flasher unit.
I'm a mechanic, not an electrician so I don't know a lot about it, where could I buy this unit? Or if I go to a shop what should I ask for?

Thanks again!
All you would need to ask for is a three terminal flasher unit, should be no more than 3 to 4 euro
Have come across this though on ebay, this will plug straight into the original wiring and just earth the lead coming out
INDICATOR FLASHER RELAY YAMAHA R1-R6 FOR LED BULBS | eBay

Could be easier this way but a bit dearer

Livestrong

Gaz2212, I received the relay today but I don't understand it, there are 3 pins on the relay but the wire from the bike only has 2 contacts, is this normal? I also connected it to the ground.
Tried it with original flashers and it works but what to do with the 3th pin?

thanks!

Gaz2212

Did you get the relay from the guy selling on ebay

If so his listing only shows 2 pins on the relay plug plus a small earth fly lead

If you have 3 pins plus the earth lead he has sent you in effect a 4 terminal flasher unit, this is not a problem. The 3rd terminal is used for indicator circuits where on the dash board you only have a single warning light to warn the indicators are on, on the bike you have a separate left and right warning light for the indicators so this pin will not be used for our bikes

If as you say you are working now with the original indicators you will be good to go when you fit the led ones

Regards

Gaz

Livestrong

Thank you! I've sended an email to the seller, he says that the 3th one is a dummy. So I can put back together my bike :).

Rousey

Help with Led indicators

Thank you! I've sended an email to the seller, he says that the 3th one is a dummy. So I can put back together my bike :).
Wonder if anyone had any ideas on this? Bought some universal LED indicators , fitted the rears all fine work & look cool . Came to the fronts and (see picture) the hole in the headlight is not a plain round hole as per the original indicator profile . Any ideas how I can fill the hole? Cheers

Attachments

Livestrong

Wonder if anyone had any ideas on this? Bought some universal LED indicators , fitted the rears all fine work & look cool . Came to the fronts and (see picture) the hole in the headlight is not a plain round hole as per the original indicator profile . Any ideas how I can fill the hole? Cheers
I bought 2 sets of Yamaha led indicators, they come with little plates to fill the hole, because I only needed 1 set of plates, I can send you the other set if you haven't found a solution yet.

Rousey

I bought 2 sets of Yamaha led indicators, they come with little plates to fill the hole, because I only needed 1 set of plates, I can send you the other set if you haven't found a solution yet.
Thank you for your kind offer , I found some and are all fitted OK now

Attachments