is the Suzuki GSR 750 a rival?

Unsterbliche

Over here, in South Africa, the Suzuki (non abs) is cheaper than the MT-07 (with abs). Is the Suzuki a rival to the MT or are they made for different roles?
Other than that the GSR is heavier and wider, has more power and is an inline 4 cylinder...

AJ Nin

The Suzuki is a race bike with fairings, a more aggressive seating position for aerodynamics, aka a crotch rocket. All 3 GSX-rs -the 600 cc, 750cc and 1000cc are very fast 4-cylinder super sport bikes so they are all faster than our Yamaha 07. Most people don't race them except to speed on the highway even though they are built to race. I owned the liter bike and put 11,000 miles on it in 7 months. It was a fantastic bike. The GSX-rs wouldn't be compared to our middleweight naked Yamaha 07 street fighter though because they are so different....faired vs. naked, inline 2 vs. 4 cylinder, upright riding position vs. aggressive riding position with clip-on handle bars on the Gixxers. When I would open the throttle on my Gixxer, it would accelerate so fast you could not read the digital speedo until you let off the throttle it was accelerating so fast. The Gixxer 750 will do over 150 mph. Bikes like these often set track records. Suzuki builds fantastic sport bikes too..dependable, fast, reasonably priced and what was important to me, the lowest seat ht. of any super sport since I am just under 5'7".

The super sports are generally all 4-cylinder so even though the GSXr 600 is a smaller displacement than the 650 bikes as well as our nearly 700 cc bike, the 600 cc super sport is faster, and the GSX-r 750 is even faster than the GSX-r 600. They wind out at very high revs and have a high power band that our bike is missing, so once they get to 10,000 rpms or so, they really come alive. These are the bikes you hear and see screaming by you on the freeway...at least in the US.

sdrio

The GSR has quite a bit more power, but the MT07 has more torque.

So while the GSR will almost certainly beat the MT07 in a drag race, it doesn't have the great grunty mid range. What I like (and a lot of others too, I believe) is sitting in 3rd gear at 30mph, cracking open the throttle and feeling the thing pull like a boeing 747 in a takeoff roll. You won't get the in the GSR.

It's definitely a bike worth considering, but it's a medium inline 4, and the only thing that distinguishes it from 100 other inline 4's is the price. The MT07's distinction is it's character.

Easily solved. Test ride both of them.

Ralph

Dont have a clue why but many people here in the UK dont like the GSR-750
so if you do decide to go that route get a test ride.

Phil_B

Dont have a clue why but many people here in the UK dont like the GSR-750
so if you do decide to go that route get a test ride.
I looked at it among the myriad other options. It looked a fairly decent bike. I wondered if the weight might be slightly less friendly for a newer rider, and given the extra power/poke, having that top end seemed pointless as there's no wind protection.

If I was spending the extra cash, it would have been on a street triple I think.

It it's the same price or lower, for the OP that's an interesting choice.

Acenturian

Here is the US we don't have the GSR 750, but I would not consider it competition or a rival since it really is a totally different type of motorcycle. The Iline 4 is going to give you a more "sport bike" feel with the top end rush, I came off an 4cyc for the sole purpose of going to a twin for the low end torque.