Improve braking performance

Ellerslie

Hi, I think a vast majority of the "problem" is with the rubber brake hoses, they expand under harder braking which gives the front brake a slightly spongy feel and leads to it requiring quite a lot of force to brake hard. I might put a set of HEL braided steel hoses on at some stage. A £70 modification and in my experience, braided hoses give much better consistency and feel.

I think the op's experience with the learner bike apparently locking easily may have been down to the abs being set to cut in marginally before a full lock up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DeadHead

Braided hoses definitely make a big difference, I had them fitted to my er6 which had pretty poor brakes and they transformed them.

The brakes feel very spongy to me but mines not done 100 miles yet so to early to make a judgement call on them.

ex R1 brakes are they? I wouldn't want to ride an R1 at speeds with these brakes!s

Ralph

The rear brake on mine as always been good best of any bike I ever rode in fact,
the fronts lacked bite when new but at 2000 miles are fine in fact I ride through
the winter and don't want anything with more bite than the ones it's got on slippery
winter roads, I can easily take it to the point of locking the wheel, plenty of feel
they will do fine for me.

Gaz2212

I've fitted braided lines and yes it has made a massive difference, now just thinking of pads to finish the job.
Hel performance supplied me the lines foc as they had no fitment for the abs version. Real big job to fit them, there is 8 lines to fit.
Not sure what price for the abs kit from hel, if anyone interested speak to Sean as he helped me massive with the fitment, they are not listed on their website.
Front lines go from master cylinder to abs pump, from abs pump to left calliper then 2 small lines connecting left caliper to right caliper.
Rear lines go from master cylinder to rigid pipe to run to the abs pump, top of rigid line has small braided line to connect to the abs pump, out of the abs pump on small flexi line to the rigid pipe at the bottom of the rigid pipe this connects to the braided line to the rear caliper
The abs pump is behind the right side tank panel
The system then is a real pain to bleed, I used a syringe to draw the fluid to the bleed nipples initially as you don't have enough pump action on the levers, once I had fluid flowing from the bleed nipples I then bleed the brakes in the normal way
Will try to get some pictures up shortly

D

Deleted member 20

I'm extremely happy with the Brembo SA / SP compound pads (on my TDM). Very strong braking power, yet very easy to modulate and works perfectly wet and dry. I didn't want to go full race sintered pads so this middle ground from Brembo I gess is an excellent option for many average Joe riders like myself. The TDM has similar brake performace, specs and feel as the MT so I think what's true for the TDM is also true for the MT.

Gaz2212

Anders, followed your recommendation, fitted the Brembo sa front pads and the sp rear pads, what a difference, fitted braided lines first with original pads, this made a big difference then fitted the new pads with the braided lines, there is no comparison from original to now.
Loads more feel on the brakes and the stopping power now is second to none, of the all the mods I have done this is the very first one I would recommend to anybody, all future bikes this will be the first thing to change

Gaz2212

Definitely the best mod I have done to my bike, fitted the Brembo pads and Hel Performance brake lines
The brake lines were a good strip down of the bike but the time and effort was well worth it, braking performance is now superb, loads more feel and stopping power second to none
On the abs bike though there is 8 lines, hopefully these all show in the pictures

Attachments

Ralph

That looks a very neat job, one word of warning to other's be very careful of getting
air in the abs unit as it can be a real bugger to get out.

miki89

Definitely the best mod I have done to my bike, fitted the Brembo pads and Hel Performance brake lines
The brake lines were a good strip down of the bike but the time and effort was well worth it, braking performance is now superb, loads more feel and stopping power second to none
On the abs bike though there is 8 lines, hopefully these all show in the pictures
can you giveme dimensions for front brakes? please.. :)

Gaz2212

You are right Ralph they were a real bugger to bleed
I first drew all the fluid through to the bleed nipples using a syringe creating suction, then bled the brakes in the conventional manner
Then ran the bike into a skid on my workshop floor to get the abs pump working
Re-bled the brakes again after this, everything is now perfect

Gaz2212

cfsantos
this is the link to the hel contact details, if your bike is the abs version they will have a fitment for you, contact them and speak to Sean he is the one who helped me with my fitment, it is not listed on their site but they have the fitment, not sure if they have fitment for non abs
https://www.helperformance.com/contact.html
hpoe this helps

spencer

Change the standard pads for EBC HH pad I use them on my GSXR 750 they will stop you one a penny just make sure you bed them in for around 20 to 30 miles.

Ralph

Change the standard pads for EBC HH pad I use them on my GSXR 750 they will stop you one a penny just make sure you bed them in for around 20 to 30 miles.
Spencer is right but be aware they will bite like a alligator on steroids so you will have to retrain your brake hand.

spencer

lol they do bite especially with braded hoses. got a full set ready to go on when bike arrives next week. O and stay away from the GOLD FREN HH pads there sh**t.