Improve braking performance

Ralph

The fronts are supposedly off a R1 so should stop, having said that they do lack a bit
of bite, I would think they have fitted harder pads to stop inexperienced rider from
having problems and that fitting pads intended for a R1 if they are the same calipers
would improve things, I have had good results with EBC pads on other bikes but not tyed
them on a MT yet.

xt660isgood2

Amav...

I reckon the brakes are very good all round, especially the rear. If you keep locking up the rear maybe you should be using more front?

Ralph

Must admit I do agree with you on the rear it's one of the best I have come across on a modern bike.

amavro

Guys I am just a 40 years old Newbie ,this could be the issue :) and yes I am using more the front and the more the rear only when filtering through traffic .Everyday I learn and at the same time having fun .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon

I've had Yamaha's before with these calipers and braided hoses sharpen them up considerably. Rear brake is fantastic, sometimes I use it alone pull up

Phil_B

Pretty sure I've read that hoses and pads have been purposely chosen to soften the braking from the calipers (ex R1).

Hence lacking bite!

MADAPE

I've found that braided hoses add feel. I've had two bikes with this type of caliper and both have been improved by fitting braided hoses in the 2 front line config.If you're concerned about locking the back brake, leave as standard.

Kipawa

My issue with the back brake is the pedal seems very low. Only ridden short distance so far and will get more time in this weekend. Let me know if anyone else has this feeling!

sdrio

My issue with the back brake is the pedal seems very low. Only ridden short distance so far and will get more time in this weekend. Let me know if anyone else has this feeling!
I found that too, and I thought it was a bit spongy.

I asked the mechanic about it when I did the first service, he said it was the ABS that caused the sponginess.

Hmm.

Lexington Stanway

I've been learning to actually use the rear. My previous biking life has taught me to ignore it, this is the first bike I've had where it actually works. I do find as I'm slowing and passing over slippy lines or drains the back will lock there and then resume as the surface allows; so to me it seems there's really good feel with he back I can always get to the point of locking without going over it. This is probably as much to do with the weight and suspension as anything; you can slow without all the weight on the forks. Mine is the non ABS version though.

It needs the back break though; as I get more confident the front breaks are starting to feel a bit 'meh',

Ralph

There will be some form of adjustment, just don't over do it and end up
with the brake binding.

bram-bram

Went today to practice panic braking with the new bike. This is the first bike I own, so I have virtually no experience. I just finished my school, were I was riding a BMW F700GS. Seemed easy to lock the front wheel with that bike and to feel the ABS kicking in. And it didn't took much pressure to make really hard stops, using most of the front shocks travel. I tried to see where's the limit with the MT and how does the braking distance compare. Went in a wide place with a very smooth and clean asphalt and did some braking at around 40 km/h. First thing I noticed it takes a lot of force to make hard brakes. Perhaps it was also the surface which was very grippy and the new, warm and clean tire, but wasn't able to lock it my first few attempts. After that, I figured I should try harder and I did, to experience to my surprise my first stoppies :) Small stoppies, probably about 20 cm. But wasn't thinking that this would work, with my body in the normal position. I thought you have to shift your weight a bit, but I guess there isn't much weight on the rear half of this bike, to keep it down...

Ralph

Just be careful you don't chuck it down the road, if it's doing
stoppies then your getting very close to what's possible.
Brakes like everything else bed in so they are likely to get better
over the first few hundred miles.

Last edited:

da1kini

the problem with locking brakes is not the locking part. Its the weight and poor surface that knocks you on your ass... no problem locking both back and front and even doing stoppies as long as you have your weight evenly distributed on the bike. However that is WAY more difficult than it sounds :)

Locking the back tire when going straight is not a worry :)

Ralph

The 07 is quit a short bike and so will stoppie or wheely easier than many other bikes.
50 years and many hundreds of thousands of miles on bikes have taught me not to
lock the front, if you lock the front and stay upright buy a lottery ticket, it's your
lucky day, having said that with modern tyres it is surprising how hard you can brake
and not lock the front so practice is good just don't over do it.

D

Deleted member 20

I have ordered the sintered Brembo RED front (SA) and rear (SP) pads, will get them tomorrow. The Brembo BLUE (CC) are less grippy than the RED (SA/SP), but not as grippy as their two different RACE (SC/RC) pads. Part numbers below are not for the MT07, it's for my TDM900A.

View attachment 558

Last edited by a moderator: