How to improve your helmet sun shade

Gaulois

With winter's sun being quite low on the horizon, it is sometime hard to see anything through a motorcycle helmet.
Adding sun glasses, a tinted shield or a sun shade to the helmet helps, but the direct sun light is hard to get rid off.
Few years ago, some riders decided to use a car Sun Shade product that is used to stick on car windows.
Amazon.com: Auto Expressions 1303004 Sun Protection Glare Reduction Shade: Automotive

You cut it to fit your shield and stick it to it, et voila, the sun is not a problem anymore, but everyone could see the shade on your clear shield and it looked very ugly.
Now, you can do the same but with the inside sun visor. It works as well and the sun shade film is not visible from the outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfF_qwDMp4A

Last edited:

sdrio

I put a strip of black tape along the bottom of my visor.

Using the logic that if it's sunny, it's not raining, I just have my visor open and have the strip above eye level. It works perfectly. When I shut the visor, it doesn't interfere with my view at all.

Only problem is you can't have the shade with the visor shut, but I ride with it open 90% of the time anyway so it never bothers me.

Gaulois

I put a strip of black tape along the bottom of my visor.

Using the logic that if it's sunny, it's not raining, I just have my visor open and have the strip above eye level. It works perfectly. When I shut the visor, it doesn't interfere with my view at all.

Only problem is you can't have the shade with the visor shut, but I ride with it open 90% of the time anyway so it never bothers me.
That's a good trick Sdrio. I suspect you are wearing glasses when you open that screen of yours?