Home made radiator grill

P

Peter

I would like to show you how did I make my own radiator grill within one hour. This is my first mod on the bike.

I bought a 30x50 cm anodized aluminium grill. It was quite expensive, approx. €10.
IMAG0472.jpg

Cut it the proper size and fix to the radiator:
IMAG0475.jpg

And that's all. This is the result:
IMAG0476.jpg

I think it looks a bit better. I don't really like this gold colour but I had no option to choose another.
I do not prefer the the laser cut covers because those protects the radiator against the air. This grill does not influence the air flow.

What do you think, how do you like it?

D

Deleted member 20

Well done, I have had the same idea but not gotten to it yet.. Gold looks awsome, better than black since radiator is all non-black. I am thinking plain aluminium (no coating), that is also least expensive at least where I have been lookin (=Bauhaus).

P

Peter

Black is not my favourite colour. Gold is OK but I don't prefer too many colours. Gold, silver, black and purple. It is a bit too Chinese.

BTW I've got it from Bauhaus.

Now I'm thinking to use the rest of the grill. I would like to change the black grills on left and right side of the tank.
I tried to remove the plastic panels but I gave it up. Removed all screws (7-8 pcs per side) but I don't know how to open the clips. I wouldn't break it.

P

Peter

Today I had some time to install ventilation grills:

At first undress the bike:
IMAG0487.jpg

Make the insert from paper and cut the grill:
IMAG0489.jpg

Lock it with heat gun:
IMAG0490.jpg

Put back the original grill:
IMAG0491.jpg

Thats all. Looks professional and it is stronger.
IMAG0492.jpg

IMAG0494.jpg

Irksome

Look forward to seeing - I want to put handguards with integrated indicators and then put torpedo shaped DRL's in place of the stock indicators.

jingsman

Tasty mods,I have done a few myself,right now thinking about a Extension to the front mudguard,any suggestions ? Please respond.

yamaHI

Where did you buy this mesh? I tried looking to copy this idea and I couldn't find any attractive options.

mauros_mt

Today I had some time to install ventilation grills:

At first undress the bike:

Make the insert from paper and cut the grill:

Lock it with heat gun:

Put back the original grill:
View attachment 300

Thats all. Looks professional and it is stronger.
My question is:

Did you have some problem to remove the steel springs of the original air outlets? I'm afraid to break the plastic stems, there are no screws or bolts securing air inlets grill.
Can you explain how to remove the round springs?

thankyou

Last edited:

balki

Can you explain how to remove the round springs?
Just dig under them with a small screwdriver and lever alternate sides until it pops off.
To reseat use a screwdriver with removable bits - remove the bit - then just push it straight down over the post
It can be a bugger to squish back on with extra mesh but persevere, as long as the post lines up with the hole
upload_-1.jpg