hello everyone!

whiteknightx

For some back story of who I am, I raced motocross as a kid, then made to street bikes when I turned 16 (1984). My first street bike was an 82 RD350LC. Drove the snot out of it for 6 years and 40k kilometers. Moved up to a 87 Yamaha FZ750. Amazing smooth fast bike, but didn't have the thrill of my little 2 stroke. Became a MSF instructor for a few years. Sold the FZ and bought an RZ350. Now over the time from when I was 16 and 128 pounds, I'd now filled out to 5'11 and 200 pounds. The RZ wasn't able to keep up with my enhanced (lol) size, and the thrill was gone. I then went to a Kawasaki ZX11, which I've had now for 10 years.

Right now I'm around 240 pounds and 45 years old, and the bike I've always wanted was something that was just like my old RD. Comfy riding position, nimble and light, snappy power, throw the odd wheelie when I feel like it. I don't tend to do a ton of mods, nor crazy hi speed riding. My ZX's top speed is lost on me, and wrestling it's 700 pounds wet weight has lost it's shine. The trick with street riding, is you can't know where your limits are, without a lot of danger to yourself or others. I can admit that most bikes limit is much higher than my skill set, so I don't know when I am coming close to that edge. I want something that is a ton of fun at more real world speeds and conditions. The FZ07 and/or the FZ09 really do seem to be the ticket for me. It's the first bike in a long time that has me drooling, and the reviews really do seem to make it sound like this is what a modern RD would be.
It certainly weighs about the same and has similar looking ergonomics.

I'm just going to lurk around the forums and jealously listen to what everyone who has one has to say for now. The FZ-07's are supposed to start showing up here in Canada around June, so hopefully I can swing a leg over one soon.

Thanks for having me!

Phil_B

Welcome along whiteknight. I've read elsewhere comparison to those early two stroke yammy twins (well as close as a modern bike could be).

Had you thought about some of the smaller Kawasakis? Either supersports of the 650 twin?

zappalia

For some back story of who I am, I raced motocross as a kid, then made to street bikes when I turned 16 (1984). My first street bike was an 82 RD350LC. Drove the snot out of it for 6 years and 40k kilometers. Moved up to a 87 Yamaha FZ750. Amazing smooth fast bike, but didn't have the thrill of my little 2 stroke. Became a MSF instructor for a few years. Sold the FZ and bought an RZ350. Now over the time from when I was 16 and 128 pounds, I'd now filled out to 5'11 and 200 pounds. The RZ wasn't able to keep up with my enhanced (lol) size, and the thrill was gone. I then went to a Kawasaki ZX11, which I've had now for 10 years.

Right now I'm around 240 pounds and 45 years old, and the bike I've always wanted was something that was just like my old RD. Comfy riding position, nimble and light, snappy power, throw the odd wheelie when I feel like it. I don't tend to do a ton of mods, nor crazy hi speed riding. My ZX's top speed is lost on me, and wrestling it's 700 pounds wet weight has lost it's shine. The trick with street riding, is you can't know where your limits are, without a lot of danger to yourself or others. I can admit that most bikes limit is much higher than my skill set, so I don't know when I am coming close to that edge. I want something that is a ton of fun at more real world speeds and conditions. The FZ07 and/or the FZ09 really do seem to be the ticket for me. It's the first bike in a long time that has me drooling, and the reviews really do seem to make it sound like this is what a modern RD would be.
It certainly weighs about the same and has similar looking ergonomics.

I'm just going to lurk around the forums and jealously listen to what everyone who has one has to say for now. The FZ-07's are supposed to start showing up here in Canada around June, so hopefully I can swing a leg over one soon.

Thanks for having me!

Hi,
I do agree with most of your thoughts.
I'm 40 years old and have bikes since 18 years old.

My bikes were as follows:
Yamaha xj600 (93-2000)
Honda Africa Twin XRV 750 (2000-2002)
Honda XL1000 (2002-2005)
BMW K1200 S (2005-2007)
Aprilia RSV 1000 (2007-2010)
Kawasaky Zephyr 750 (2008-2010)
Triumph Thunderbird Sport (2010-Now)

I bought a MT07 last Tuesday and rode it for 250 Kms.
It's nimble, easy to drive, fun. It does not have the power of the K1200S or the RSV1000 or even the MT09 (that was the first love),
but is it a very insteresting machine.
I still have the Triumph (and will keep it), but driving a light bike, with human power, it is really nice.
Do I need more torque or power???
I had it in the past and i really don't need it.

Try the MT07. It is a fun bike.

whiteknightx

Phil,
I've always been more of a Yamaha guy I suppose, so the MT/FZ has really grabbed my attention. Naked sports bikes have always been my favorites. Two years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on an old 87 750 Fazer. Besides my big Ninja, I used to have a couple Kawasaki dirt bikes, and I've always found with Yamaha's they are easier to work on, and the parts tend to be a just little bit cheaper. The Ducati Monsters and the Triumph Speed triple have been on my list in the past too, but it's over 50 km to the nearest dealer, and they are just a little too pricey, for something I can only reliably use for 6 months of the year in Canada. I'm not as tough as I used to be when I was younger, so I tend to the leave the bike at home until it's 15 deg C.

Zappalia,
I'm pretty sure I'm going to be sold as soon as I can lay eyes on one in the flesh. lol. Although I wish the 07 came in the orange of it's bigger brother.

Last edited: