Hands up who started on a scooter/ moped

Jonindorset

Yep, did a CBT, ended up not using it for nearly 2 years (finally losing my work parking permit), bought a Honda PCX 125 (pretty nice as 125 scooters go...), found it too slow to be safe on my commute, did another CBT and DAS, bought a Honda CBR600F, just replaced it with an MT07 to overcome shoulder and neck issues :)

sdrio

I started on a fizzie - it was a 50cc bike, but had gears, clutch etc.

I took my test on a 100cc bike belonging to the training school I went to, and had already bought an RD250lc from a friend, so moved straight to that. It was not long after the law changed from allowing learners to ride max 250cc, to max 125cc, so there were a shedload of cheap 250s around.

I remember most of all being utterly horrified at how much fuel the LC used - the Fizzie used virtually nothing, and filling it up was just something I did every few weeks, but the LC would go through twice as much gas in half as much time. I was earning about £50/week at the time, so I suddenly had to think about fuel consumption.

Eddieh93

I did say I didn't care for other road users when I had it! It must be the make.

It had a seven after market exhaust on there when I brought it, that was soooo loud and one day it decided to just fall off haha burnt a hole though the fan casing and f****d the fan and melted some body work haha

D

Deleted member 20

Started on a 1973 Yam RD 125 at age 15, moved to a 1976 Yam XS 500 at age 17.

Noggie

I started on a Suzuki -89 TS-50X back in 1993, illegally tuned with a 66cc cylinder and drove it like a mad-man at speeds up to 100kph.
After I got my car license in -95 I never did get a bike license.
You see, back then I could get a full power bike license at 18. but new rules were coming for 1997 and you could not get a full power bike license before you was 21, you could drive a bike up to 34hp, and it would automatically change to a full power bike at 21. I guess it was sort of a predecessor to the current A2 license.
As a student at the time, and hopefully an apprentice after that, I realized I would not have the money for a bike before I was 21, so I might as well wait.

Lot of factors later played in over the next 15++ years, mostly because I would not trust myself on a bike as I would probably get myself a ZX-9R, it was pretty much the only thing I wanted, meaning I would probably no be alive today.
So I was playing around on 4 wheels for many many years.
At 37, I decided I was "grown up" enough for a bike, so I got a license and bought the MT-07, the big question now is how long I will keep it.

TheFakeAssassin

This is mine atm. Can't wait to do my DAS and get on an MT-07.

Tho this is surprisingly a great bike.
It has some very small issues like the seat forces you to ride like a cruiser of bend elbows right in and the grips are cheap plastic crap but it manoeuvres well an does do 65mph on a down hill with wind behind.

I have a local garage now who are happy to work on it too which I had a lot of trouble with when I lived in London.

Eddieh93

PanosGR, did you put a 200 VXR engine into it?

The runners are all the same chassis and the different model engines just bolt straight in my mad had the most bogged 172cc 2 stroke Runner reg'd as a 50cc

sdrio

PanosGR, did you put a 200 VXR engine into it?

The runners are all the same chassis and the different model engines just bolt straight in my mad had the most bogged 172cc 2 stroke Runner reg'd as a 50cc
Confession time. I still have one of these, on SORN, in my garage.

Aprilia-SR-Motard-50-America.jpg

mejson

I started with MT-125 :) ...as you need only "B" cat driving license (Car one) for this capacity and up to 15BHP...6mths and 3kkms later I did full motorcycle one :) and bought MT-07

20150310_114029.jpg

Eddieh93

What is it sdrio.

My same friend brought a Gilera Ice and put the same engine in it im sure he got about 110mph out of that things it was rapid!!!

sdrio

What is it sdrio.

My same friend brought a Gilera Ice and put the same engine in it im sure he got about 110mph out of that things it was rapid!!!
It's an Aprilia SR125 Motard (or retard, as I call it).

They do a 50cc version which apart from a sticker is visually indistinguishable, and there's also a pair of Piaggio Typhoon models (50/125) which are identical apart from graphics.

It's a piece of shit though. 50mph top speed (but I am a bit of a fatso).

PanosGR

I knew that but never did change it.

It didn't have any decent brakes for a bigger engine. And i had already seen that not many 180cc 2T of that generation stayed in one piece down here. Later they only produced 4T.

DJP

I had a Yamaha moped when I was 16 (in 1986). When I was 17, I traded it for a CB100N and passed my test. When I got my first job (aged 18) I traded the CB100 for an RD350 YPVS and never looked back...

sdrio

Yeah, none of that AP50 bollocks.

I did my test on the training centers bike, so went straight from a Fizzie to a 250lc.

johnnakay

my 1st was a Lambretta Li 150 -SX200-SX150 - then my 1st proper bike a Suzuki 350 Rebel...
lambretta not actual one....

rebel same colour....