Handle Bars........ not the most comfortable!

Rouqui

handlebars could be lower

not low clipons, more like (and if you remember these you are ancient!) Vincent Straights.

D

Deleted member 20

Will reveice my Renthal Ultra Lows today, will mount asap ad try em out. Little wider, little lower, little less sweep, black and aluminium. Will post pics when in place. Cost £30 on eBay UK.

Steve

Seeing as I'm waiting for my bike for 4 weeks I'm thinking of getting all the mods now
while I wait.
On sitting on the dealers mt07 I found the bars sweep back to much I think I'd like some that are a little straighter and a tad more upright like the renthal drag bars I used to have.

Anyone care to let me know what size I need and I can get some ordered up before the bike gets here, think someone has already changed theirs?

D

Deleted member 20

I have changed already to Renthal Ultra Low. This is a 7/8" or 22 mm aluminium bar that fits without any modification what so ever. No need to adjust cables or brake lines. Inner dia is 14 mm so your stock bar end weights will not fit, you have to solve that in some other way: no weights, other weights, or as I am doing, mounting some Acerbis hand protectors.

View attachment 180

The new handposition is about 5 cm forward, 2 cm lower and 3 cm wider on each side (73 vs. 67 cm width)
One upside with wider bars is also better view in stock mirrors, less shoulders and more traffic.
The Renthal bar has some tiny 3 degrees more sweep than the stock bars, so its not straighter.

I love it. Cost £30 on eBay. Comes in black, dark/light gray, silver, red, blue or gold to match all MT-07 colors :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TJ63

They're the same bars as I put on my Fazer 1000. They made it much more comfortable. I used Oberon Performance stainless steel bar ends with them, and they were fine.

Steve

thanks for the detailed post !!

Question, you say they 5cm further forward but have more sweep?
I want the bars to be I little straighter height is ok and I like the cross brace too as it's useful to mount things off lol

Like furry dice and air freshners

D

Deleted member 20

thanks for the detailed post !!

Question, you say they 5cm further forward but have more sweep?
I want the bars to be I little straighter height is ok and I like the cross brace too as it's useful to mount things off lol

Like furry dice and air freshners
Stock and Rental bars ars are bent differently.
If you place both bars upside down on a flat surface, i.e. grip area horizontal, you notice difference in how they're bent.

Now i've flipped back to normal (not upside down), but still horizontal grip area, trying to describe the bends:
Stock bar has a "rise" that is pointing about 45 degrees up/back, where the Rental "rise" is more vertical, let's say only 10 degrees back.
Stock bars then give you a hand position much further back, since the rise is pointing backwards.
When the rise is over, the grip area starts. Grip area of the stock bars is 3 degrees less swept than the Renthals.
So inner point of grip area of the Renthals is 5,5 cm forward of stock bars, but outside end of grip area is 5 cm forward of stock bar.
All grip area is 2 cm lower, since both bars are horisontal.

Does this make any sense?

Steve

Yea that does actually :)

Thanks again I think I'll get some similar to yours !

Spot on

Thanks

Could I trouble you for a photo from the riders position and one from the side?

I understand if you can't mate, just next time you are on it and it's convenient ;)

Last edited:

Kaye

I am a new rider having passed my test in March and taken delivery of my MT 07 at the end of the month (fab bike by the way!) so apologies if this seems a silly question. I noticed the title of this thread and wondered if it may be the cause of my problem - after approximately one hour of riding I get a dull ache between my shoulder blades right near he top of my back, has anyone got any ideas as to what would cause this and could it be the handlebars? I have had more experience riders suggest that it could be me being too tense but I really don't feel I am tense at all on the bike. Any ideas gratefully received....

allyw71

A good way to find out is, can you wiggle your elbows when cornering? if you can easily your nice and relaxed, if you cant or its uncomfortable or difficult then your far too tense and need to relax more. It may be that your using muscles in a way that your not used to that's causing the discomfort.
Good luck

Artem

I get a dull ache between my shoulder blades
could be the handlebar is too wide or too far out for your reach. Try lighten the load on your wrists by supporting your torso with your core muscles hugging the tank with your knees and pressing on your pegs.

Will145

I'm pretty comfy on the MT, no issues with the handle bars, not like my old SV650S which use to ache my wrists

Rouqui

hi Kaye, perhaps it is the wind blast, if so you need to get the taller of the screens? If not, then are you having to bend your head up to get a clear view forwards? Some helmets sit a bit low on the head and obstruct the view if the bars are a bit low. (W Yorks - I've family in Greetland)