Had to call the RAC.....chain slack!

Mushymi5

Went for a good ride today, to put some miles on the mt, with two friends.

We had done about 105miles in total and I kept hearing a rattle noise in 3rd and 4th, friend pulled along side in standish and the chain was slacker than a magicians sleeve!

Not having a socket and being so loose it could slap the exhaust had to wait 1 1/2hr for the guy to come out and fix it in 5mins, right pain in the backside.

On the plus point, finally got to Rivington Barn for a brew and the bike got a lot of attention. :)

Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.

Will145

Not very many then for the chain needing adjusting! I popped into my yamaha dealer the other day (450 miles done) and while there asked them about the slack and they said the mt07 chain has quite a bit of slack in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xt660isgood2

Went for a good ride today, to put some miles on the mt, with two friends.

We had done about 105miles in total and I kept hearing a rattle noise in 3rd and 4th, friend pulled along side in standish and the chain was slacker than a magicians sleeve!

Not having a socket and being so loose it could slap the exhaust had to wait 1 1/2hr for the guy to come out and fix it in 5mins, right pain in the backside.

On the plus point, finally got to Rivington Barn for a brew and the bike got a lot of attention. :)

Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.

Funny old thing. I checked chain when I picked her up and it was ok. After around 200 miles checked it and it was also well slack. Took it back to dealer and they tightened it up.
Ready for first serv now 600 miles ish and it seems not to have got any slacker. Bit confused as to why? But all ok now. Replaced many chains and sprockets over the years and never had this issue.
Would ask the question: is this a new bike thing? but why should it be any diff from changing chain/sprocks on a 2nd hand bike? mystery

D

Deleted member 20

My chain had proper tension at delivery, 500 km later it was very slack. I was surprised over the big slack, on the other hand only one mm on the rear adjusters do make a big difference. Don't know if the chain is low-budget, or if it's normal, or something else.

Ralph

It's quite normal for a chain to need a early adjustment but it should then
settle down if it keeps coming slack then something is not right one or two
bikes have been recalled in recent years for new chains to be fitted, if it
as DID on the links it will very likely be a good un.

da1kini

My chain had proper tension at delivery, 500 km later it was very slack. I was surprised over the big slack, on the other hand only one mm on the rear adjusters do make a big difference. Don't know if the chain is low-budget, or if it's normal, or something else.
The chain and drive line or what its called is not cheap! It´s even oversized for this small of a bike. Its the same as the one on MT 09.

D

Deleted member 20

i agree, it's a 525 (right?), same as my TDM and MT-09. My XJ6 had a 520.

DJP

It's quite normal for a chain to need a early adjustment but it should then
settle down if it keeps coming slack then something is not right one or two
bikes have been recalled in recent years for new chains to be fitted, if it
as DID on the links it will very likely be a good un.
This^^.

My chain was also quite slack after the first 200 miles but seemed to settle after that.

It's only just needed a second, minor, adjustment at 1300 miles.

Eddieh93

When I picked the bike up they dealer said it would seem the chain is very slack for the first 200 miles then it would just tension up and they were right seemed weird to me as surely its meant to go the other way i.e. get slacker?? But then obviously they have tightened it up at service intervals as I haven't had to do it and it doesn't even look/feel like it needs doing?

CVSensei

I've been getting a rattling sound as well which has been making me paranoid but my chain slack is correct according to manual.

Hoping its nothing to be worried about, have first service in about 250 miles but might have to pop by the dealers before for some peace of mind.

Noggie

I haven't been able to do much driving on mine, just 225km, but my chain is also slack, I checked and it was outside the max tolerance.
I thought I'd put a few more KM on it, and then tighten it up. Think if I put it on the minimum tolerance then I hope it will not stretch beyond the max tolerance again in the break in period.