Goop in your tyres.

jonnyg

Is anyone else using Goop or any other puncture prevention? Rather waiting for the puncture then getting it repaired I've seen videos and read reviews on using this method and looks to be the best specially for motorbikes as we can't carry a spare wheel/tyre with us. The last thing a biker needs is to be stranded far from home, or infact, anywhere with a flat tyre. Your view on this would be appreciated and may spread a good thing to other bikers out there.

jonnyg

Hi Ralph. I've already treated my front and rear tyres as the reviews were so good and I've suffered with a puncture before and the hassle I went through was a pain in the a**e. I can imagine the mess for the poor tyre fitter but that's his job

sdrio

I carry a plug kit too. Have used it 3 times in the last 2 years, they seem very effective. Has always got me home or to somewhere i can get it fixed (used it last week, funny enough).

Beyond the mess the gopp stuff makes, I' d be very dubious about how effective it is as a puncture 'prevention' method. I always understood it worked by being pushed into a hole in the tyre by way of that being the only place air is moving out of. Puttng it in an unpunctured tyre would just mean it creates a thin layer of presumably latex or something inside. That doesn't sound like something that will be particularly better at holding air than the tyre itself when punctured.

I also got the impression that the issue for tyre fitters isn't 'simply mess, they seem to be saying they can't save a 'gooped' tyre, and have to replace it. That is probably them just being drama queens, but I'd rather pay the £20 to get it fixed than shll out £100 for a new one.

shadowmonkey

I have never used goop before however I have used holts tyre weld for a puncture on a rear when it was nearly new and lasted the whole life of the tyre. I just kept an eye on the pressures and all was good.
I believe it must be good stuff (puncture repair in a can) as they wouldn't put it in car boots instead of a spare, would they?

jonnyg

Hi sdrio. I've read those plug kits are very good but that's a cure for a puncture. Goop is a prevention type..Well sort of! It actually stays in a liquid form in the tyre and is thrown out to the to the inner of the tyre by Centrifugal force and only comes into effect when squeezed out through a hole no bigger than quart an inch. Apparently it will also stop a blow out by slowing the air down enough through a tear or large puncture so the tyre just deflates and doesn't blow. It's weird stuff it seems to have tiny particles of rubber in it, but as I say, the reviews seem to imply it works great and is perfect for two wheeled vehicles for the reasons I've mentioned in my earlier post. All I need now is a nail to pierce my tyre so I can confirm or deny this is a great product. It hasn't messed up the handling at all not even slightly, so as it has no ill effect I'll just have to wait for that nail!

Hi shadowmonkey. I still carry a can of the Holts in my car and another strapped to my motorbike back inner footrest just in case my biker friends get a puncture or I come across a stranded biker. They do work as I have previously used one for my car tyre and it worked perfect. But I thought I'd give the Goop a go this time around.

Last edited:

nobull

Hi sdrio. I've read those plug kits are very good but that's a cure for a puncture. Goop is a prevention type..Well sort of! It actually stays in a liquid form in the tyre and is thrown out to the to the inner of the tyre by Centrifugal force and only comes into effect when squeezed out through a hole no bigger than quart an inch. Apparently it will also stop a blow out by slowing the air down enough through a tear or large puncture so the tyre just deflates and doesn't blow. It's weird stuff it seems to have tiny particles of rubber in it, but as I say, the reviews seem to imply it works great and is perfect for two wheeled vehicles for the reasons I've mentioned in my earlier post. All I need now is a nail to pierce my tyre so I can confirm or deny this is a great product. It hasn't messed up the handling at all not even slightly, so as it has no ill effect I'll just have to wait for that nail!

Hi shadowmonkey. I still carry a can of the Holts in my car and another strapped to my motorbike back inner footrest just in case my biker friends get a puncture or I come across a stranded biker. They do work as I have previously used one for my car tyre and it worked perfect. But I thought I'd give the Goop a go this time around.
By this logic it will only work if the puncture is dead centre of the tread as this is widest circumference point of the tyre, assuming it remains" liquid" as you say. Therefore if that is the theory it will almost never help surely? Get a plug kit, recovery insurance, or a trailer (my favoured option, comes in handy for loads of purchasing/breakdown issues, although admittedly expensive, I've made 3 of my own over the years).

Ralph

I have not used it but was told that the goop will balance a out of balance tyre working
like those bead things, is the idea that you leave the nail or what ever in or are you intended
to check and remove anything found as you go on.?

jonnyg

Hi Ralph, Well I've had it in my tyres for a week now and covered about 280 miles and I haven't noticed any difference in handling at all, not even first thing in the mornings when I thought it may have gathered in the lower part of the tyre overnight and taken a few meters to spread but nope all's good. I'm not sure if you should remove any nails or debris out your tyres or leave them in to be honest..Didn't even think about that, oops. I'll wait and see when it does happen I think.

jonnyg

Hi Nobull, most nail or debris punctures do happen centre of the tyre, but true, something could enter your tyre on a bend or corner. But Goop is suppose to be blown to the puncture area with the pressure of escaping air so I think it will cover most, if not all, of the complete tyre tread area, but it does state on the bottle "will not seal tyre wall punctures". I do have recovery service and friends with vans but prefer to cover myself as much as I can as it does save a lot of worry and possible hassle of a puncture.