Goodbye ugly mirrors, hello Rear View Camera

Torque

First the video for anyone who is merely curious, followed by a detailed explanation for those more interested in the project. Note that the image on the phone screen is clearer in real life than how my helmet cam captured it.

[video=youtube;1TtAhhrgU5c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtAhhrgU5c[/video]

In the long list of mods to my MT-07 (damn this bike is so mod-able) here is my replacement for the mirrors – a rear view camera. I decided on a Wi-Fi system so that I could use my iPhone as a monitor. The benefits of this method are that there is no need to route any wiring to the handlebars and that the iPhone screen is quite good even in sunlight. In fact in the future I could use either an iPhone or Android device with even better screen technology.

The project was an easy one to carry out and consists of 3 simple parts:

1. Mount the phone on the handlebar

I used the RAM mount system in conjunction with the BRUUDT ball mount for the MT-07.

Here’s the parts list:

BRUUDT mount for MT-07, eBay link BRUUDT Montagekugel f.
RAM double socket arm short, part number RAM-B-201-A.
RAM diamond base to 1” ball, part number RAM-B-238.
RAM mount for iPhone 5, part number RAM-HOL-AP11.
Black plastic blanking plugs for mirror holes, eBay link 4 Black Plastic Blanking End Cap Caps Round Tube Pipe Insert 12.7mm / 1/2" | eBay.

No explanation needed to fit the mounting system as it is all straight-forward. If you want the phone mounted higher up then you can buy the longer RAM arms, either RAM-B-201 or RAM-B-201-C. I preferred the short arm and I’ve deliberately tilted the mount towards the vertical in order to reduce the glare/sky reflection on the phone screen.

BRUUDT.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

2. Wire in the Wi-Fi transmitter

The camera system is Wi-Fi, but rather than a camera with built-in Wi-Fi which is generally bulky, I used a small car reversing camera with composite video output linked to a Wi-Fi transmitter. The transmitter fits under the pillion seat where it can be permanently plugged in to the 12V supply.

The Wi-Fi transmitter can be purchased from eBay or Amazon, here is the eBay link I bought it from Wifi Car Backup Camera Realtime Video Transmitter for iPhone iPad Android 802W | eBay (note this one is from Hong Kong).

I chose to power the transmitter by splicing into the 12V supply for the rear light (blue and black wires downstream of the 3 pin white connector). I pulled the black sleeve away from the splice area, cut the insulation as shown in the photograph, soldered the wires from the transmitter connector, wrapped electrical tape around the solder joints and pushed the black sleeve back over the wires. The transmitter is mounted on the side with the supplied Velcro pads, and in this position hardly takes up any space.

The transmitter only draws 150mA so no danger of overloading this circuit and the transmitter automatically powers up when the ignition is turned on.

The transmitter has 2 more connections; these are a 12V out for the camera and a video in from the camera. The iPhone app for the live video feed is called WIFI AVIN, just search the App Store. There is also an Android APK available.

IMG_0588.JPG

IMG_0590.jpg

3. Mount the camera and commission

I used this camera from eBay Waterproof Wide Night Vision HD Car Reverse Camera/Rear View Parking LED Sensor | eBay. Other types are available but you will need to make sure it flips the image horizontally so that when the camera is pointing backwards, objects on the left will appear on the left on the phone screen. A normal camera will transpose left and right when pointing backwards.

I thought long and hard about the camera position and settled on the rear light cluster. I was going to make a bracket to mount it somehow on the number plate or tail tidy, but in the end I went for the simple approach. The camera is small enough to not interfere with the LED tail light. You can see from the photograph below that the LED pattern is arranged in a V formation such that there is a gap at the top-middle for the camera.

3M double sided tape is enough to hold it in position without resorting to screws and therefore having to modify the light in any way. I did, however, file a very small U shaped channel in the piece of plastic that fits above the rear light and below the pillion seat. You can just see it from the rear-view photograph below. This channel is necessary to route the cable from the camera to the Wi-Fi transmitter.

The cable fits as shown and this ensures that it doesn’t get pinched anywhere because there’s a foam pad in the centre of the piece of plastic I filed which allows for a gap either side of the foam between the plastic and the rear light.

Plug the 2 connectors from the camera to the Wi-Fi transmitter and the system is ready. On your phone you need to change the Wi-Fi settings to connect to the transmitter (it is effectively a Wi-Fi hot spot). You will probably have to do this every time you set off from home as your phone will always re-connect to your saved/favourite networks when your bike is not in use, i.e. it will generally re-connect to your home Wi-Fi router.

Start the AVIN app and you will have a live feed from the camera. The app also allows you to record video or take snap shots of the camera feed.

The view is very clear and surprisingly good even in sunlight. Also no more elbows or shoulders in the way of the rear view. Filtering is easier too without mirrors sticking out. Overall I’m really pleased with how this system has turned out.

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

sdrio

This is a great project. I've thought about doing that myself, as 90% of my mileage is buzzing through lines of stationary traffic in London. Losing those mirrors would make quite a difference.

Have you tried it in the wet? I'm sure it's possible to weatherproof the Iphone, but wonder how the image works with a lot of spray coming off the back wheel. Also, how is it in the dark?

Interesting though. Good solution to a common problem.

Torque

This is a great project. I've thought about doing that myself, as 90% of my mileage is buzzing through lines of stationary traffic in London. Losing those mirrors would make quite a difference.

Have you tried it in the wet? I'm sure it's possible to weatherproof the Iphone, but wonder how the image works with a lot of spray coming off the back wheel. Also, how is it in the dark?

Interesting though. Good solution to a common problem.
Yeah, losing the mirrors makes filtering a breeze - no more potential clashing with wing mirrors. I did look at waterproof mounts and there are many available, but in the end I decided to mount the phone naked :eek: as I'm mainly a fair weather rider.

Not sure about the spray or the dark, but I will be sure to try it in the dark and report back how it looks.

bypasser

I really like this idea as like Sdrio I'm in London traffic 99% of the time. Would be very keen to see how you get on with this over time.

Potential problems I can see are loss of WiFi connection to camera as you've already mentioned, particularly if you ride past a WiFi network that you've connected to in the past (eg McDonald's, Starbucks, pub). Impact of weather as Sdrio has mentioned. Fact that you may be increasing "blind spot" by effectively moving eyes to the rear of the bike. And the inconvenience of having to always getting your phone up there and connected.

Thinking about it what happens when someone calls right in the middle of the time when you need rear view (chime in those that don't need to see what's behind them because they are soooo fast.....). Latest version of android just gives a banner alert at the top for calls but I know some devices take over the whole screen for incoming calls.

Thanks for the very detailed write up Torque. It's really appreciated. Very very tempted to try this myself.

Last edited:

Torque

You've raised some good points bypasser, so thank you. I'll have to try the Wi-Fi issue, but I thought the iPhone would only re-connect to a known hotspot if either the existing connection was lost or possibly weaker than the known hotspot. On the basis that the phone's connection to the Wi-Fi transmitter should be very good given that it is less than a metre away, I'm hoping that this issue will never occur. Certainly when I'm at home and I connect to the transmitter, my phone never seems to want to re-connect to my home Wi-Fi, but I will test further.

I hadn't thought of the call issue. On the iPhone you can't dismiss the call screen without touching the on-screen end call button, which of course won't work with gloves on. Also my phone has a PIN code when you put the phone out of standby so that would not work either. Meh... I would just have to be extra vigilant looking behind me during an incoming call attempt (about 20 seconds).

Noggie

So you are more or less blocking the whole center part of the tail lamp, or the part that is exclusively your brake light with that camera.

Yes the brake do also increase the brightness of the the other LEDs, but I would never partially cover up my break light.
I'd put it on the tail tidy above the plate.

Torque

Noggie, you've raised a very fair point, but personally I feel the brake light is hardly affected. In the middle there seem to be an additional 3 rows of 3 LEDs and a single additional LED at the bottom for the brake light as shown below:

O O O
O O O
O O O
... O

Only the top row is covered and all LEDs become brighter as demonstrated. However there is enough length of cable on the camera for me to change the position in the future.

[video=youtube;F404cvhxMj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F404cvhxMj4[/video]

sdrio

I was thinking about the potential phone prblems, i've got an old 5" vid screen that used to be part of an in-headrest display, the kind used for kids to watch dvds in a car.

If hardwiring isn't an issue (it doesn't botherme) then it might solve some of the problems with the Iphone.

I always take much longer to get round to this kind of thing than I expect, so don't hold your breath, but I might give it a go eventually. mounting it is probably the trickiest part.

Last edited:

Torque

No idea how it would work but might using Bluetooth be a viable alternative to wifi?
I considered Bluetooth, however communication speed is far slower than wifi. It has got faster with Bluetooth LE but I suspect video would still be very laggy. In all honesty having used the camera for a week now there is no problem with the wifi dropping out. If I set out from home I don't even have to connect to the wifi transmitter because as soon as I'm out of range of my home wifi it automatically connects. From there on it maintains a rock steady connection. I'm still very pleased with it after the first week of actual use.

DJP

A very neat job there.

Tbh, I wonder why the manufacturers haven't gone down this route - given the general crappiness of most bike mirrors.

addy

A very neat job there.

Tbh, I wonder why the manufacturers haven't gone down this route - given the general crappiness of most bike mirrors.
The Skully helmet that is coming out soon has a rear view camera built in, hopefully it does well and other manufacturers start introducing the same features in their helmets and bikes.

CVSensei

The Skully helmet that is coming out soon has a rear view camera built in, hopefully it does well and other manufacturers start introducing the same features in their helmets and bikes.
I'm so tempted to get one but I can't really justify that price haha..