Givi rack

allyw71

I see givi have listed a rack for the 07, item No 2118fz. No photo's or price as yet as its still under manufacture. Going by how their rack is mounted on the 09 it may also mount on the undertray instead of under the seat like OEM, probably eliminating the need to cut panels. Hopefully it won't be long before its on sale and it gives us a better choice of luggage.
They also list side racks to take their V35 panniers :cool:

allyw71

Cal66's givi rack has arrived. Not got round to fitting it yet, but after having a look through the instructions a little cutting of the tail panels is required, albeit in a more discreet place compared to the Yamaha rack. I'll maybe have a bash at it over the weekend and post some pics (if successful) :)

allyw71

Ok, I couldn't wait until the weekend, so had a bash at it this evening.

First here is a pic of the cuts in the panels that's required, 34mm x 10mm

PICT0355.jpg

The fitting of the rack was a bit fiddly, but pretty straightforward. There are no written instructions just some pictures which explain the process fairly well, although I found I had to remove the tail light to make things easier. The whole process took me about 2 hours, but I was being slow and methodical, doing it again would probably take less than half that time. The slots that were cut are unseen and the whole thing is neat and tidy, overall a good alternative to the Yamaha rack with a wide range of boxes to choose from. I think there are side rails that can be attached to it allowing hard panniers to be fitted.

PICT0357.jpg

PICT0358.jpg

PICT0361.jpg

PICT0356.jpg

Last edited:

pengjn

Ok, I couldn't wait until the weekend, so had a bash at it this evening.

First here is a pic of the cuts in the panels that's required, 34mm x 10mm

View attachment 475

The fitting of the rack was a bit fiddly, but pretty straightforward. There are no written instructions just some pictures which explain the process fairly well, although I found I had to remove the tail light to make things easier. The whole process took me about 2 hours, but I was being slow and methodical, doing it again would probably take less than half that time. The slots that were cut are unseen and the whole thing is neat and tidy, overall a good alternative to the Yamaha rack with a wide range of boxes to choose from. I think there are side rails that can be attached to it allowing hard panniers to be fitted.

View attachment 472

View attachment 473

View attachment 474

View attachment 471
Nice work. I really wanted a set of Givi V35 panniers for my bike, so yesterday I ordered them and the side rack, as well as the top box rack you have because apparently the side rack requires the top box rack as you say. I find it a bit annoying that I have to have the top box rack sticking out the back when I don't intend on having a top box but never mind. Is the rack easily removable or is it an hour or so job to remove too? I only really want the racks and panniers for occasional use, so I was hoping that they might be quick release. Also, will it work with the Yamaha tail tidy? Finally, it's not clear in the pic but do you have a screen fitted? If so which one is it and is it effective/recommended?

Last edited:

allyw71

It would be possible to remove and refit the rack as and when required, but I think it would be a bit of a pain. However the side rails that will bolt onto the racks arms would probably be quite quick and easy to remove/fit, keeping the lines of the bike clean and tidy when not in use. I'm not sure about the tail tidy, looks like it might be a tight fit, but I dare say a bit of improvisation could make it work one way or another. The screen is the taller of the two Ermax ones, looks good on the bike, its not my bike, but my girlfriends, and I haven't had a shot of it yet, waiting for it to be run in first :rolleyes:

Bezzy

Hi allyw71, I just got my Givi rack yesterday, but i didn't manage to take the plastic part between the seats off. There are 2 bolts that I removed, but there was something else holding it in place i couldn't figure. Can you tell me what to look for?

dazzor

Help needed :(

My bike is finally ready to collect (I'll get it tomorrow)

My dealer has fitted Givi arms/plate for my V46 box BUT.....insists the R&G tail-tidy I also ordered is not going to fit because of the Givi kit.

Any thoughts on this are very welcome. (Including suggestions for an alternative tail-tidy that is compatible with the Givi kit already fitted)

Thanks

Darren

D

Deleted member 20

The Givi FZ arms use the stock tail lower section as points for mounting. Do yourself a favour and just forget tail tidy and learn to love the stock tail.

dazzor

The Givi FZ arms use the stock tail lower section as points for mounting. Do yourself a favour and just forget tail tidy and learn to love the stock tail.
Are we saying that because of the way the Givi arms are fitted, there is absolutely no tail-tidy options on the market at this time whatsoever?

Please bear in mind that forums are generally made up of an eclectic mix of people and subjectivity is pretty much the order of the day:)

Having said that, I do acknowledge that acceptance is 9/10th's of happiness......I just would like to be in charge of ALL the facts before capitulating :)

Best regards

Darren

D

Deleted member 20

You can mod everything, I am saying the Givi arms partly rely on new mud flap steel plates each side connecting to the stock tail section, removing and replacing the stock plastic mud flap wings. See detail in photo below. This also brings more rigidity to the stock tail making it less flimsy due to engine vibrations and road imperfections.
View attachment 948

dazzor

You can mod everything, I am saying the Givi arms partly rely on new mud flap steel plates each side connecting to the stock tail section, removing and replacing the stock plastic mud flap wings. See detail in photo below. This also brings more rigidity to the stock tail making it less flimsy due to engine vibrations and road imperfections.
View attachment 948
Very helpful, Anders, thank you sir.

If stock tail is the order of the day then so be it, I suspect it won't impact too heavily on my sleep pattern :)

It would just be nice to "tidy" up the back.

Oh well, at least I can still shop around for a "silly exhaust"......you know I love your work really, Anders :)

Thanks

Darren

D

Deleted member 20

Correct, any silly exhaust except over-sized under-seat-cans will happily co-exist with the Givi arms.
...question still remains -- what's the point?
:p

TJ63

Hang on - you're putting a sodding great carbuncle of a 46 litre box on the back of your bike, and you're worried about a tail tidy?

It'll NEVER look tidy :eek:

TJ (who has a 46 litre box on his BMW!)

dazzor

Hang on - you're putting a sodding great carbuncle of a 46 litre box on the back of your bike, and you're worried about a tail tidy?

It'll NEVER look tidy :eek:

TJ (who has a 46 litre box on his BMW!)
Anything that shows more back tyre, in MY opinion will look better; had many bikes with this set-up and yeah, it does look better I think .

To each their own....I just asked for info on fitting, not subjective opinion on aesthetics....but can see where you're coming from, ha ha.

Anyone with info on actual tail tidies that may fit would be nice :)

Last edited:

dazzor

Very helpful, Anders, thank you sir.

If stock tail is the order of the day then so be it, I suspect it won't impact too heavily on my sleep pattern :)

It would just be nice to "tidy" up the back.

Oh well, at least I can still shop around for a "silly exhaust"......you know I love your work really, Anders :)

Thanks

Darren
Let me ask you a question in retort;

If there was a million pounds (don't know what your currency is) up for grabs if you could come up with reasons why LOTS of people upgrade exhausts on bikes, do you think you could come up with the answers yourself?

I think you could and I think you're not asking a question more than you are being rhetorical.

Ever ridden a bike in London, in rush hour?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

I did buy Mivv Suono Carbon for my TDM, sounds and looks way better than stock SS cans. But the big gain and reason for my purchase was the weight saving of 10 kg! Plus improved lean angle.

dazzor

I did buy Mivv Suono Carbon for my TDM, sounds and looks way better than stock SS cans. But the big gain and reason for my purchase was the weight saving of 10 kg!
There you go, I knew you could do it :)

Please remain active on this forum going forward, it wouldn't be half as much without you. (Genuine sentiment)

Personally I want from an exhaust....

1) Bigger presence via the sound (filtering in London traffic)
2) nicer looks
3) weight loss
4) any gain in performance a bonus