Gearing

robodene

Thanks, guys. I wanted to check the accuracy of the speedo. It reads 73/74 mph at 5,000rpm - almost exactly as chart above. That makes it look as if my speedo indicates true bike speed. But then of course, how accurate is the tacho..... maybe that's got the same margin built in as the speedo. I'll move on I think!

Ralph

At a true 70 mine reads 73/74 so not far out.
with a new rear tyre it would be a little closer,
my last Suzuki was 6/7 mph out at the same speed.
Don't know how you can read the rev counter on the
07 that accurately though it's a big jump between bars
so cant be that precise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

My MT07 speedo displays roughly 10% more than GPS-speed with fresh PR4 rear tire. Tire circumference can differ from one tire brand/model to another, test below show that a certain Pirelli is 5.6% bigger than a certain Conti.

View attachment 2355

/Sir Cum Ference

Last edited by a moderator:

sdrio

My Aprilia scooter has the worlds most optimistic speedo. Added to the fact it's only in KM/H, it is also about 20% out. Luckily, it errs on the side of caution, and shows me doing 50mph, when I'm actually doing about 40.

I think it's because Aprilia (and Piaggio, who are a sister company) shove the same hardware in all their scooters, and mine has bigger wheels than a 'typical' scooter. That's what causes the inaccurate reading.

There is an upside though - the error means the speedo reads 2km/h for every 1 actual mph, so it is much easier to work out what my MPH speed is than if it were an accurate km/h reading. I just divide the indicated speed by 2.

Ralph

My Morini also as a highly tuned Italian speedo, strangely I had a 50 odd year old Greeves and that was spot on.

sdrio

My Morini also as a highly tuned Italian speedo, strangely I had a 50 odd year old Greeves and that was spot on.
I'm sure the Greeves was spot on as a result of a freak accident in the factory.

It's like and30ers says, lots of little things can make a difference. If in doubt (and this is how I worked out mine was miles out), follow a car past a speed camera, you'll find it slows down to exactly the speed limit. :D

bobh

UK rules used to allow 10% speedo error either way, but now, as I understand it, EU regs say that a speedo can be up to 10% optimistic, but must not under-read. So you find that most speedos, in cars as well as bikes, read about 5% over. The manufacturers have to do this to allow for things like, as mentioned above, varying tyre dimensions.

Also you have to remember that an analogue speedo (still used in most cars) is incapable of being read to better than about +/-2mph, due to parallax error and the width of the needle. Furthermore the graduations are only every 5 or 10 mph. If it were a scientific instrument it would be deemed unfit for the purpose of controlling the measured quantity to the required accuracy - hence the "10%+2" ACPO recommendation..

In my experience (as an IAM observer I get to follow lots of different makes and models of bike) Suzukis and Hondas generally have the most error, i.e. the rider will hold about 26-27 mph when they think they're doing 30. Can be a bit of a pain when you've got a big 4x4 up your number plate! .

The signs that come on if you pass them at over the limit are a reasonable guide - they usually come on at about 29 for a 30 limit, so if you just bring them on, that's about right.