FZ07 vs FZ6R at highway speeds

dcpppf

Currently I have a FZ6R, and am looking to change things up a bit. My only real complaint about the FZ6R is vibrations going 70+ mph. After an hour or so on the highway the hands and feet get very uncomfortable. I know the 07's engine is designed with vibrations in mind, but I'd like to hear 1st hand experiences. What are your rpm's sitting at while on the highway??

Phil_B

70mph is about 5k revs. Nice and smooth to my knowledge. I've not done hours at a time however.

I find all of these things are relative, if you speed up to 80 for a while 70 feels quite sedate :-D

Last edited:

sdrio

I've done a couple of motorway runs.

At 80mph, it's doing about 5,500 rpm. I didn't find it uncomfortable as far as vibration goes, but you're paying more attention to the wind at that speed.

I did notice that my hands were tingling a little when I stopped after a 40 mile run, so there's definitely some vibration there.

If you're worried about comfort, the seat is a far bigger issue than vibration. More than an hour at a time I find is very uncomfortable.

dcpppf

Wow, 5,500 rpms at 80 is quite a bit lower than my FZ6R at 7,500 or so. That tingling is what I am hoping to address; hands and feet feel like they are asleep after some time. As far as comfort in general; the ergo's look similar to what I'm on now. So unless the seat is a plank of wood I think I'll be alright.

Thanks for the info. This vibration topic is the real kicker between an 07/09 for me, and with my type of riding I don't want to trade the mpg's for that much more power that I'll rarely ever touch!

sdrio

Wow, 5,500 rpms at 80 is quite a bit lower than my FZ6R at 7,500 or so. That tingling is what I am hoping to address; hands and feet feel like they are asleep after some time. As far as comfort in general; the ergo's look similar to what I'm on now. So unless the seat is a plank of wood I think I'll be alright.

Thanks for the info. This vibration topic is the real kicker between an 07/09 for me, and with my type of riding I don't want to trade the mpg's for that much more power that I'll rarely ever touch!
I only noticed it after I got off the bike, not while riding. Max run was about an hour, maybe 1:10 though.

I'd suggest try to arrange a test drive, give it the beans for half an hour on a fast road and see how you feel.

AJ Nin

One of the first things I noticed was how much smoother the 07 was compared to the Ninja 650r which at idle would rattle the turn signals, license plate bracket, mirrors, etc. Once underway it wasn't so bad. I don't seem to have problems with vibration though. What I sometimes get is cramps in my hands from clutch and brake pulls. The clutch pull in the 07 is not as easy as it could be, so I may have to make a change there, but I haven't taken longer trips yet to experience any hand cramps. Talk about vibration. I traded in a Honda Grom for the FZ-07 and that little thumper really vibrates like crazy at idle. Never had a problem with that vibration either, but that seat is so hard, you couldn't stand more than a few miles on it. I plan to do some touring or at least long day trips with the FZ-07 once the weather cools a bit. That seat is very comfy for me.

dcpppf

Very reassuring guys. Thanks for the input. My FZ6R mirrors definitely get distorted at idle, but not all that terrible.

I'm getting really excited to get on one for a bit. If a test ride goes smooth my FZ6R is getting put up for sale ASAP.

Curly

The one I test rode definitely had a buzz at 75mph (5300rpm) so that I'd search for a one tooth larger CS sprocket to calm it down a bit. it wasn't awful but was noticeable enough to make long distances a chore.

Curly

cosmikdebriis

To be completely honest. I don't really think the MT(FZ) 07 is the right bike for distance work at motorway speeds. It's a streetfighter, not a tourer or cruiser.

Having said that. I don't find vibration a problem and my arse seems to have got used to the seat. I'd be a little concerned at the lack of screen or fairing though as I'd expect wind buffeting to get a bit tiresome after a while and you're going to get soaked if it rains.

If I were doing a hundred miles a day and at speed I'd buy something else and put up with that bikes lack of agility in traffic but, in my case, the bike is going to get more town/city and country road use than motorway/freeway use so I'll put up with the nakedness to get the amazing performance it has for what it was designed for.

Just a personal view and I ought to say I don't like fours of any description so am a little biased.

AJ Nin

I took the bike up to 100 mph last even, but forgot to look at the rpms. It does buzz a bit at higher speeds but not bad. If I did a lot of highway miles commuting, I would just get a Ninja 300. Looks like a sport bike, gets over 60 mpg (US), has a bulletproof engine, is cheap enough, and handles highway speeds such as 80 mph smoothly and hugs the road remarkably well. Acceleration is the drawback. It is not a fast bike off the line with short lower gears. That 6th gear is long and remarkable though. Actually, if you get stuck in slow moving traffic bumper to bumper, the short 1st gear on the Ninja works to your advantage and you won't need to use the clutch and brake so much. I can't say about the FZ6r, but my Gixxer 1000 would get really hot going slowly and the fan would come on a lot to keep from overheating, plus you had to do a lot of clutch and brake work since you shouldn't be riding in 1st gear under 11 mph on that Gixxer. But the Ninja can creep along at walking speed if need be and not overheat. My vote goes to the Ninja 300 for the ultimate commuter.

eriks

just one day without any obvious reason i noticed quite strong vibration on higher RPMs and certanly at speeds 100+ kmh. i feel it in footpegs strongest and a bit also from tank. bike behaves otherwise normally. chain checked, ok. any ideas were to look?

Lexington Stanway

I've never ridden a Fazer, but I ride 90miles per day on the MT07. Vibrations aren't a problem, they are low frequency and not in the least annoying. Your concerns will be wind, and (on closed roads and test tracks) sometimes 80mph is a strain, sometimes 100mph is a breeze - ambient wind makes a huge difference and seat hardness may be an issue.

A lot of people round here complain about the seat after an hour, I've done about 4500 miles like a bawss, but I am starting to admit that my pelvic bones are working their way through the flesh now.