Fuel consumption

sdrio

Mine is steady at about 55mpg, (about 23km/l or 4.2l/100km). Have done about 800 miles so far.

That's mainly in traffic.

I'd expect a small improvement as the engine loosens up.

Irksome

I just remembered that I took photos's of my previous visit to the pumps - that was a bit better, but not much.

40.82MPG / 6.95L/100KM

Irksome

Did they come clean about it, or did you find out later on? There are no words to describe how pissed I would be. Feeling for you...
No, in fact they steadfastly denied they scratched it - but I know it had no scratches when I dropped it off, and the first thing I noticed when they wheeled it back out was a scratch. Its exactly like a key in the pocket has scratched the panel where a key would be when sitting on the bike - they took it for a 5 mile blat to try and investigate a fuelling issue I'd reported (stalling when hot).

They eventually offered to replace the panel as a 'gesture of goodwill' - still not heard diddly squat since!

Petegas

Hi all, had my bike since March and put 2500 miles on her now. All mixed types of roads. I've just completed a small tour of Lincs and Norfolk and the on board MPG said I averaged 75 but working out the old way I came up with spot on 80! These bikes just sip the petrol. Need to get a tail tidy though. Any suggestions?

roama119

i did a run out with local bike club recently about 50 miles in really wet weather, really steady run and i got 62 mpg on the clocks. dont know how some of you are getting 70/80 mpg. as i said before on this thread on a spirited run i can get down into the mid 40's. suppose it just goes to show that theyre all slightly different?

xt660isgood2

Roama, That 40mpg doesn't sound very good. That's half the mpg of the best we have heard on here. And you say 62 on a steady run. I'm by far no crazy rider, but haven't seen it that low
on a spirited dry run. Of course there are many factors that influence mpg eg: weight of rider, wind speed, terrain, nose fairing, tyre pressure, any probably many more.
But unless you weigh 25 stone and carrying a back seater of similar weight up and down Ben Nevis all day, I would be taking it back to the shop for further investigation ( sorry to sound alarmist but just saying what I would do)

Ralph

The riders right hand is by far the biggest factor in determining fuel consumption,
but bikes are supposed to be fun so no one is likely to ride round like a granny going
to church, having said that if your cruising along for what ever reason at 30 or 40 mph
then change up to what ever gear it feels smooth in no point in reving it for no reason
and it will save fuel for when you can go for it. I see many riders going through town
at 30 or so mph but with the engine revving it's head off for no reason, just burning fuel,
the MT seems built for this as it pulls like a train from low revs.

Alex

Just done 200 km since the last last fill up and the last bar and gas icon started flashing. There's still gas in the tank, but what would be the average one can still ride once the blinking starts? Someone mentioned 40 or 50 km but that seems like a stretch. Half of the time I'm riding quite economically and the other half...well...I'm having fun :). Also doing almost 300 km on a full tank seems out of this world (for fun loving people at least :)

Rouqui

Irksome - 40mpg is dreadful! I suppose town riding around Wandsworth you are buzzing around 3rd-4th gear not like us on the open road in 6th.

Phil_B

Lowest I've had from the on board readout is 63mpg! And I generally go fast enough to overtake traffic on the routes I know.

That said, with the torque available you can short shift up to 5th pretty swiftly and be spoilt by the utter flexibility of the engine.

Last edited:

sdrio

I get about 50 in town and just over 60 on longer runs. That's calculated myself, the on board computer seems to be 55mpg whatever I do.

I think reserve should be good for about 45 miles, it's about 4 litres.

TJ63

I don't think I'd trust it that far - didn't someone on here run out after 36Km on reserve?

sdrio

I don't think I'd trust it that far - didn't someone on here run out after 36Km on reserve?
Sounds harsh - I've always filled mine up within 20 miles of going on to reserve, and that's normally 11 - 11.5l.

If it's using 4l to travel 36km, that's about 25mpg, or something got measured wrong.

My old MT03 had a similar reserve, I got that over 50 miles once or twice, but have to admit I was getting pretty nervous by the time I spotted a petrol station.

TJ63

Post # 46 from this thread:

"Today morning I tested the range of the bike. In my calculation I used 12 Litres from the tank (did 320 km = 200 miles). It must be at least 1 Litre left.
I moved the bike and I heard the sound of the petrol so I left home.

After 10 km ride the bike started being lumpy. Decreasing the speed is OK again. I still had 1 km to the next petrol station. Finally I could reach it.

From total empty to total full I could fill 12.5 Litres of petrol. Total distance covered was 330 km. Trip F showed 58 km. (3.8 L/100km)

It seems the tank capacity is less than 14 Litres.
Based on my experience never ever drive more than 50 km (30 miles) after the fuel warning"

I remembered the figures a bit wrong - it was 36-37 miles on reserve, not Km.

I don't believe that there's 4 litres left when the light comes on, and Peter's experience seems to bear that out..

Last edited:
P

Peter

Since the bike ran in my fuel consumption increased to 4.1-4.3 L/100km. The range decreased under 300 km so everything is normal now. It seems I was too cautious during the break in.

I have an other experience.

If the tank is full the bike running smooth. But as I getting closer to the reserve the transition from engine break to engine pull is getting harsh. There are a small delay if you apply mild throttle after engine break period. I suspect the petrol moves forward and the pump suck air.

Can anybody confirm this?

Anthony

I completed 500 miles in a single sitting on Sat. Average for the whole trip was 75MPG.
I'm now at 5250 miles completed so my bike is well and truly broke in.