Foot peg stopper/sliders?

Steevviieee

Hi guys :)

I kept catching the foot peg stop/slider things on the ground last year and it was driving me mad. Is there any reason why I shouldn't take them off? They just stick out a bit too much and look strange, also I hate catching them on the floor.

Steve

sdrio

They're there to pretty much do exactly what you're getting so annoyed about.

They're designed to be the first warning, and if you take them off it's likely you'll catch some more substantial part of the bike on the floor and end up in a ditch. It's probably not such a good idea to take them off.

Eddieh93

I have changed my footpegs and do not have any on the pegs I have, I haven't ended up in a ditch........yet!

sdrio

I have changed my footpegs and do not have any on the pegs I have, I haven't ended up in a ditch........yet!
Well anyway, I thought it was obvious what they're for, and therefore obvious why you shouldn't take them off. Maybe I'm just too old!

nobull

I agree it is obvious what they are for, but I always remove them and replace with a shorter version as on several occasions when I've been waiting to turn left (at T junctions) the "hero blob" has gone down the top of my left boot (I put my left boot down at junctions never right) when I've moved off. Then as I tip left I cant pull my foot up & almost overbalance. Never had a problem since shortening them on any bike, & have ground pegs out on every bike I've had(except the 125 on crap indian tyres). I guess it just depends on what you wear, how you ride & what your priorities are, but personally for me its not crapping myself & almost falling off at 10mph on a T junction:)
(Easiest way to shorten is a short length of threaded rod & dome head bolt just to stop peg end grinding)
Or you could increase rear preload instead, but that would also sharpen up the steering/decrease rear grip very slightly.

Last edited:

sdrio

Prompted by this discussion, and having chanced upon another MT07 on the way home tonight which I sat behind to look at, it seems to me as if the stand might catch the floor just ahead of the left hand footpeg, without the blobs.

No science here, just how it appeared.

Having said that - the point about them catching your boot is true, i've done that and also caught it on a trouser leg.

I've never got near grounding mine.

Steevviieee

So i'm still unsure what to do but probably the safest option is to keep them on for now. Don't want to be catching the exhaust or something, that could go horribly wrong...