Fitting radiator guard with side covers

Livestrong

Hello,

I bought this radiator guard:
Infinite Black Stainless Steel Radiator Guard Yamaha MT07 MT 07 2013 2014 | eBay

Now I have a problem, I also bought the radiator side covers from Yamaha, they are mounted differently than the stock version (2 bolts at the side of the radiator).
The side covers must be mounted from the inner side (where the radiator guard is), so one option is to dril holes in the guard so I can mount the side covers.
But off course this isn't my most favorite option, how could I solve this?
Is there somebody else with this problem?

thanks!

MADAPE

I bought the side panels and they will not fit with an Evo-Tech Rad guard fitted. Head over heart wins and the side panels have to be returned.

Gaz2212

Hi this is what I did to mine, got rid of the horrible plastic sides but had to compromise on the grill, used the r&g rad guard as this fits with the billet sides

Attachments

Livestrong

Hi this is what I did to mine, got rid of the horrible plastic sides but had to compromise on the grill, used the r&g rad guard as this fits with the billet sides
That's a nice job! I'm going to look if I can adjust the guard, else it would be a though choice.
Thanks!

Livestrong

Question, what is the maximum tempature of the radiator? I was thinking to put on the side covers with Tec7, should that work?

xt660isgood2

I've got the same as above. Was unable to fit it going by the instructions which came with the rad guard (asking you to stick supplied foam between rad and guard) Holes just would not line up.
So had 1st service booked the following day and thought they might as well fit it (which is where I bought cover and sides from)
Anyway...came back to shop after 3 hours and they said was unable to fit with the foam so they ripped it off and it still took over 30 mins to fit due to holes not quite lining up
(think they had to figure of eight a hole or 2 on the rad cover) I'm happy with the end result though
I nearly bought a different rad cover earlier which was nicer looking but there was a note on the web page saying "not compatable with side covers

Gaz2212

Hi xt

Mine is fitted with the foam as per instructions. It does get a bit tight with the holes, you need to fit the grille on first and then put the side panels over the top of the grille, I used a screwdriver to line up the holes as the speed bolt that is slid over the rad will move to allow you to centre it allowing the bolt to go in. Don't get me wrong it wasn't easy, it becomes quite tight but it can be done

Cheers Gaz

xt660isgood2

Yo Gaz
I take my hat off to you. I consider myself as quite engineering savvy, but was far too fiddly for me. possibly do-able when younger and not having to use reading glasses. It's really rubbish getting old! lol

Tamura

Rouqui,

I agree with you, as I also was struggling with the look of those ugly aluminium upper and lower edges of radiator - they are seen even with Evotech radiator guard, which has the maximum coverage surface.

Recently one custom bike maker told me: "We can just paint the entire radiator black and put a small self-made rectangular guard at the center". I quite like this idea ofpainting as other Yama models like MT-09 have nice black radiators.

So I am wondering - did anyone paint their radiator? if yes, any requirements to the paint quality (e.g. temperature resistance)?

pgeldz

How did you actually do this? I'm about to do the same to mine. The R&G instructions tell you to remove the clip and use a nut instead, but obviously that won't work since you have to screw from the inside out with the Yamaha Billet side covers and you couldn't really get to the nut in that case.

Did you just just follow the instructions for the billet side covers and put the clip over both the rad tab and the tab of the R&G cover, or did you just put the clip over the rad tab and let the screw go into the R&G tab first, then the rad tab with the clip on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

- Paulie

Gaz2212

Hi paulie, you need to follow the instructions for the billet covers, fit the clip to the rad tabs first, you will need to bend the rad tabs out a little to get the rad guard to sit flush with the radiator, this will also help when getting the bolts in, hold the rad guard in place and then fit the billet covers last, the bolts go through the covers first then through the rad guard and finally into the clip.
I did use a small screwdriver to align the bolt clips, don't get me wrong it's not as easy as it sounds it does get tight but mine is fitted with the foam stuck to the rad guard as the instructions. A little time and patience and you will get it to work

pgeldz

Hi paulie, you need to follow the instructions for the billet covers, fit the clip to the rad tabs first, you will need to bend the rad tabs out a little to get the rad guard to sit flush with the radiator, this will also help when getting the bolts in, hold the rad guard in place and then fit the billet covers last, the bolts go through the covers first then through the rad guard and finally into the clip.
I did use a small screwdriver to align the bolt clips, don't get me wrong it's not as easy as it sounds it does get tight but mine is fitted with the foam stuck to the rad guard as the instructions. A little time and patience and you will get it to work
Perfect! Thank you so much!!!