Filtering

Torque

I was replying to another post this morning, and whilst referring to the highway code I realised that filtering was not such as gray area as I thought. In fact the highway code mentions it a few times as a perfectly legal manoeuvre for motorcyclists or cyclists (as long as no other rules are broken, e.g. crossing solid white lines).

Rules for motorcyclists - Rule 88

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.
Road users requiring extra care - Rule 211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than you think. When turning right across a line of slow-moving or stationary traffic, look out for cyclists or motorcyclists on the inside of the traffic you are crossing. Be especially careful when turning, and when changing direction or lane. Be sure to check mirrors and blind spots carefully.
Apologies if this is already known to many of you (in the UK of course), but I always thought that motorcyclists were given a bit of "elbow room" by the police when it comes to filtering. I've certainly seen some motorcyclists filtering but then stop when they see a police car in front of them (unless they don't want to draw attention to loud exhaust, small plate, etc.), but it's ok - carry on. I have and will certainly never hesitate to filter if it is safe to do so.

sdrio

30 years and well over 200,000 miles of riding in London, and I have yet to see anybody get stopped for filtering. Police don't bat an eyelid, although I have to say the bike cops don't seem to do it much. 99% of car drivers are happy for you to do it, and the rest get no choice anyway.

If you're ever bored and want to see some frothy rage though, start a topic about it on a board full of Californian car drivers. It's illegal over there, and for some reason they fly into an apoplectic fury if you as much as suggest you should be able to do it. You'll hear about how 135 million bikers a day get killed doing it, and how proud they are of the fact they will open their door on any bike doing it.

Baffling, but amusing. Just seems mean spirited to me.

Scim77

sdrio. Maybe the huge alleged "death toll" is caused by the car doors! What else can you expect from the "Land of the Gun"? :rolleyes:

FierceGerbil

Here in the US filtering is legal. The individual states pass laws on whether it's allowed or not. I live in Georgia and unfortunately it isn't legal here though people routinely start petitions to legalize it. I have filtered at times but I've noticed one thing here. Some cagers really hate it when you do it. I don't advise individuals to do it if it's illegal where you are. No need to fund law enforcement for you trying to ride efficiently. Some of you are very lucky you can filter and I'm admittedly envious. Lol
And yes us Americans do like our guns. Me being one of them. I've thought about riding through town with an assault rifle on my back but that probably wouldn't go over well. Would be perfectly legal though.

Last edited: