Engine "rattle" under acceleration...

Nuggets

I get a sound, it's a bit like pinking but when I roll off throttle or use engine braking not when revving the engine. Pinking usually only occurs under load with lean fuel, not the case here. I'm more certain than not that it's not a timing chain as for me you would expect a rattle when revving the engine from idle (a la Suzuki sv650 rev engine slowly in 1000rpm stages and a bad one will rattle like a bugger) and a timing chain rattle is a bit less "tinny" and more dull as well as come with other tell tale signs such as lumpy idle, powerless, difficult starting etc which you encounter with mis-timed engines.

I would have thought it highly unlikely a new mass production engine will have valve clearance issues, which is best described as a distinct almost hollow tapping at idle which increases frequency with revs.

My drive chain has stretched a bit with running in semi-hard (giving everything a good stretch, clutch and throttle cables too) so with first service next Saturday it will be interesting to see if it goes away or reduces a lot. My money is that it will.

Ralph

First valve adjustment is at 24000 miles? maybe they come new with
clearance set on the high side to make sure they don't get tight as they
run in, if it is valves then you are better off with then slightly loose than tight,
tight valves burn out, loose ones rattle but as they tighten up over the miles
due to seat recession they quieten down.

R1VE

I found this video showing the noise from a spanish forum:

[video=youtube;OYkJ3nNkkmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYkJ3nNkkmQ[/video]

Nuggets

I found this video showing the noise from a spanish forum:

[video=youtube;OYkJ3nNkkmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYkJ3nNkkmQ[/video]
My guess is a bit of timing chain rattle, it increases with engine speed and is more noticeable on the roll off. What does anyone else think?

Ralph

Try it with the clutch pulled in, if it's better or disappears it's likely the gear box and nothing to worry about
near all Jap bikes do it.

Toyotech

Hey guys, I'm also experiencing all the same issues. The dealer replaced my chain tensioner and nothing changed. After that a yamaha rep came and drove it for a while just to say "I hear the noise but it's not loud or bad enough to warrent a tear down"...:mad: They noted it so if it blows up warrenty would cover it.

The noise on mine is intermittent in severity. At times it's not there at all and other times it sounds like it's going to come apart. Only does it when warm. This leads me to make the fairly educated assumption that it can't be valves or exhaust because one of those problems would not go away entirely for 200 like happened on mine. My assumption is that the CCT is not clicking down to the next tooth or backs off a bit when warm causing the extra clearance/noise.

Noting the massive problems they have had with the fz09 tensioners I still think the design is flawed and only holds proper tension intermittently. Has anyone tried adjusting their CCT to verify that's the noise? There are videos showing how on YouTube for the fz09 I just need to know our tensioner is the same style before i try it on mine.

Last edited:

1a2a3a

Does anybody reach a conclusion for this? Or the deduction was that it's normal?

I'm coming up to 900km and I just realized about the tickling...

tw586

Guys, I think I may know what the noise is
My wife has an R15 an it too rattled on decel after sustained high speeds and during warm up at mid temp
after several unsuccessful attempts buy the dealer to fix, it was bought back by yamaha and replaced with a new bike
the noise turned out to be a faulty decompression unit on the exhaust cam shaft. having a look at the manual for the 07 it has a similar unit fitted.
the noise presents it self as a tic or a clack at low revs not consistent with engine speed. a sound similar to a hydrauliclifter in a pushrod engine that has a worn base and clacks every now and then

Ralph

If so it's on the drive sprocket for the exhaust cam so get a big screw driver and use
it as a stethoscope see if it does seem to be coming from that area.

1a2a3a

Im also facing the same issue. Ticking sound comes on after bike temp warms up or when I ride harder than usual.
Went to dealer, they told me its not cam tensioner, but rather drive-something. I forgot what was it already, drive valve? Drive chain? Drive nut? Maybe valve?

They say its no biggie and the noise is not loud yet, but I concur otherwise though. No adjustment needs to be done yet but should the noise becomes louder, they can adjust it.

Getting more confused now.

maxfear

I have the same issue,i ve heard a lot of opinions about what this sound is but I really think that noboby knows where the sound comes from even Yamaha dealers.We will wait and see.......

addy

My bike has started making this ticking noise today, Haven't been riding hard just normal around town then I stopped to get some petrol and the the noise started about 4 or 5 mins after I left.

The noise is also audible at idle but luckily its not too loud, The bike is at just 4000 miles and it's the first time I've heard it. Has anyone continued to have problems with this or managed to figure out what causes it?

triple trouble

Definitely the cct. All the symptoms you have mentioned are exactly the same as the 09 guys had with their cct's. The dealers will always say it's not that.... They did the same thing with the 09 for ages until so many people were complaining about the same noise. In the end they were replacing them with a modified/upgraded version free of charge.