Engine cuts off when the clutch lever pulled in

Livestrong

I've emailed the head bureau in Belgium of Yamaha and they said that they know the problem and they are investigating it, when there is a solution my dealer has to contact me. Pretty sure that will not happen.

dazzor

mine has only done it once and I'm still running in. I would guess it is fuelling because the 70mpg I'm getting (so are other riders) is so economical for a 700cc bike
No matter how thriftily the fuelling is set up, 70mpg must surely be a byproduct of doing on-the-run journeys and not much traffic work.....so I'd expect you not to encounter the fault too much just on the strength of your average journey type.

sdrio

I've emailed the head bureau in Belgium of Yamaha and they said that they know the problem and they are investigating it, when there is a solution my dealer has to contact me. Pretty sure that will not happen.
Well, that's interesting. Better than I got from the UK people - "This problem does not exist". The dealer I bought from has had more than one complaint about it though, so presumably Yamaha are seeing it via their dealer networks.

So far now, if I recall correctly, Yamaha have been contacted about this in the UK, the USA, South Africa and now Belgium.

Would be interested to know if anyone in any other territory has contact them, and what they said, if anything.

hahapik

Would be interested to know if anyone in any other territory has contact them, and what they said, if anything.
Sdrio, On the French forum, they are complaining about it too, 299 posts and counting. But they found a nice solution, for Yamaha to actually care about the problem. They tried to reach Yamaha directly, with the same result you got. They got pissed and wrote to every main motorcycling magazine in France, with links to the topic. As I read, they already got some positive replies from the papers, and those are investigating it, with intention of printing some reviews about this issue.

So, maybe the best way to motivate Yamaha to take this problem into consideration, is to threaten their reputation of reliability. I will inform you of the results of these actions.

Cheers.

sdrio

Sdrio, On the French forum, they are complaining about it too, 299 posts and counting. But they found a nice solution, for Yamaha to actually care about the problem. They tried to reach Yamaha directly, with the same result you got. They got pissed and wrote to every main motorcycling magazine in France, with links to the topic. As I read, they already got some positive replies from the papers, and those are investigating it, with intention of printing some reviews about this issue.

So, maybe the best way to motivate Yamaha to take this problem into consideration, is to threaten their reputation of reliability. I will inform you of the results of these actions.

Cheers.
Merci. Add France to the list.

Only problem I can see is that while there is a long waiting list for the bikes, it's obviously not going to have any measurable effect on sales. It's a shame, this seems such a small problem, which ought to have been nipped in the bud as soon as they were made aware of it.

Do you have a link to the thread you mentioned? I'd quite like to have a read.

Tommeke

Hi,

I m getting my bike next week ( due to arrive Thursday).
This pb worries me !
Has anyone who's having this pb sent a letter to Yamaha ?
Don't know the English term for it but I mean a letter where someone has to sign for upon arrival .

This worked wonders for me when I had trouble with my duke .

I hope I'm making any sense.

sdrio

Hi,

I m getting my bike next week ( due to arrive Thursday).
This pb worries me !
Has anyone who's having this pb sent a letter to Yamaha ?
Don't know the English term for it but I mean a letter where someone has to sign for upon arrival .

This worked wonders for me when I had trouble with my duke .

I hope I'm making any sense.
Haven't sent a letter, but I emailed them and got a reply, so there's evidence that they're aware, even if they don't acknowledge the problem.

Reading the French forum, seems Italy and Germany have also reported the issue. I'm pretty certain it is being looked at, but whether than means there's a fix on the way, who knows?

As for your bike - this doesn't necessarily make it unrideable, it just demands you take care under certain circumstances. If your bike does it, and not all of them do, you just have to be aware of it - you can't stop the misfire, but you can stop the stall. Once you're moving it is not an issue, you can ride perfectly normally. It's only when pulling away and/or coming to a stop that it happens.

Let's hope you get one of the good ones though.

[edit] What I'm saying is don't let it spoil your fun.

Last edited:

Tommeke

I hope so too !

Still whit my engine pbs on my duke ( one of the first in Belgium) I also complained at the dealer and wrote e mails to KTM. Nothing happened . It was fine when they rode it they said. So it must be user error right ?
After a couple of months and me almost crashing, a did write a letter that has to be signed for ( the term ? Plz) to the dealer. Explaining the problem again and the danger of it, holding him responsible for the problem. A week later they called me to bring in my bike. The pb was fixed immediatly . Maybe just coincidence ?
Would give it a shot if mine fails ...

sdrio

I hope so too !

Still whit my engine pbs on my duke ( one of the first in Belgium) I also complained at the dealer and wrote e mails to KTM. Nothing happened . It was fine when they rode it they said. So it must be user error right ?
After a couple of months and me almost crashing, a did write a letter that has to be signed for ( the term ? Plz) to the dealer. Explaining the problem again and the danger of it, holding him responsible for the problem. A week later they called me to bring in my bike. The pb was fixed immediatly . Maybe just coincidence ?
Would give it a shot if mine fails ...
I think over here it'd be called 'recorded delivery'. You get proof that the letter was received.

What is really happening when you're doing that (at least in English law) is that you are working to establish that the other party is fulfilling the criteria for the tort of negligence. Specifically, you're aiming to prove they're breaching a duty of care. Part of that is making sure they're aware of the problem.

Sending an email and receiving an answer does exactly the same thing, so it shouldn't be necessary to repeat it by physical mail. I have clear evidence that they received the email.

I'm not sure legal sword rattling is necessary just yet - we know they're aware of the problem now, they have to have a reasonable time to find a solution to it.

So far, as far as I know, nobody has suffered any injury or damage as a result of the problem, but that's just luck.

i hope yamaha sort this as a special version of the 07 with all the trick parts will be out sometime next year.gonna be around £1000 more expensive than abs model but you get the akra fitted to it so worth the extra money

TJ63

Mine stalled twice today, just after I'd filled up with petrol. Don't know if it was a coincidence.

Nuggets

I've not been fortunate (or not) to get my MT-07 yet, I pick it up this Thursday. Reading this thread I'm surprised nobody has linked to VOSA.

https://www.gov.uk/report-vehicle-safety-defect

When I had a new Megane with xenon headlights that used to fail regularly, at speed and used to flood the bumper of my car with light (but not the road in front), I reported it to VOSA, up until that point dealer didn't take me seriously, once I told them I had spoken to VOSA engineer who recommended I lodge a report the attitude changed and the problem eventually got resolved. I learned two lessons from this, 1. Never ever buy a Renault ever again (worst new car I ever had) 2. Being able to say a VOSA engineer agrees its an issue worthy of their attention focus's the dealer on investing and finding a solution more they otherwise would. Maybe the same thing applies to Yamaha?

Fingers crossed I'm not in what appears the unlucky minority. If I am the VOSA engineer is getting a phone all as well as the dealer.

first time tonight. i had done a 100 mile run on the motorway. pulled up at home and backed the bike in so clutch was pulled in with bike in first. let the clutch out slowly to get a bite to roll it forward slightly and the bike stopped.
first time with 506 miles on the clock.

AJ Nin

I'm not sure that counts as a stall if you had let the clutch out a little. We already know the bike will die unless you give it some throttle as you release the clutch. A stall would be more along the lines of just stopping at a light while you were in neutral or stopping as you slow to approach a stoplight with the clutch pulled in any gear...like in the YouTube video of the guy whose MT-07 stalls. I suppose the issues could be related, but one is a rider stall, the other isn't. You can fix a rider stall on your own by always using throttle when you take off, but you can't really fix the second kind of stall on your own...unless hearing the engine starting to die and giving it some throttle to try and save it counts, but that is too iffy.

Last edited:

geffd

The demo bike did it to me and my bike did it untill the first service, not sure if they adjusted the throttle I did mention it to them

mellanslag

This happened to me a few days ago. It has happened before as well, but this time it was no mistaking it for something else, and it was also the first time after the 1000 km service.

I was standing still at a red light, put it into neutral, and after some time I put it back into 1st. That's when it stalled. The clutch was fully depressed before, during and after. It simply just stalled the same second I kicked in the 1st gear.

I also had a hard time starting it, it took a few seconds to even start up. When it did, I revved it briefly, and when it was supposed to go back to idling, it shut itself off again. This time, it was still in 1st gear the entire time. After about 2-3 seconds of trying to get it started again, it started up, the light went green, and since I hadn't the courage to release the throttle during this second startup, I took off and the bike acted normally again.

Does anyone else recognise this behaviour? The part where its hard to start after being stalled may not be related to this issue, but it just makes everything a bit more annoying, since it takes some effort to get going after it stalls.

again today after about a 2 miles trip in traffic.parked up to do a bit of shopping. returned and walked the bike out of the bay in first gear and the engine cut out. tonight going home from work i pulled up at home, backed it in and just as i was about to increase the throttle it tried to die but i gave it a handfull and the throttle picked up. somethings going on with the clutch here.

sdrio

I'm not sure that counts as a stall if you had let the clutch out a little. We already know the bike will die unless you give it some throttle as you release the clutch. A stall would be more along the lines of just stopping at a light while you were in neutral or stopping as you slow to approach a stoplight with the clutch pulled in any gear...like in the YouTube video of the guy whose MT-07 stalls. I suppose the issues could be related, but one is a rider stall, the other isn't. You can fix a rider stall on your own by always using throttle when you take off, but you can't really fix the second kind of stall on your own...unless hearing the engine starting to die and giving it some throttle to try and save it counts, but that is too iffy.
It is a stall. The question is simply whether it's the rider doing it, or the bike. It's obviously the bike. Hundreds of people are reporting it from all over the world. Same symptoms, specific to this bike.

For anyone whose MT07 doesn't do it; 1. Congratulations, 2. We're not stalling the bike.