DIY Antitheft floor anchor

Thsam

Hey guys

Just wanted to share a quick and cheap alternative, for the ABUS floor anchors you can buy.

All you need is one of these :

And a couple of plugs :

And the result :

The idea is that most bolt cutters won’t be able to open wide enough to cut the pipe, and it seems to be working.

As far as the legality and public road property, well.. :rolleyes:

da1kini

Hey guys

Just wanted to share a quick and cheap alternative, for the ABUS floor anchors you can buy.

And a couple of plugs :

And the result :

The idea is that most bolt cutters won’t be able to open wide enough to cut the pipe, and it seems to be working.

Why not use a disc lock! Or is that easy to brake through?

http://www.abus.com/var/ImagesPIM/abus/webl/6d759f680124b62d2040e215592884b8.jpg

Thsam

Actually I also use the ABUS 8077 disc lock.

I´ve just been hearing all these stories that lighter motorcycles are easily carried onto a truck, so...

Am I being paranoid ? :p

Viking

Hey guys

And a couple of plugs :

And the result :

So what's stopping me to unscrew your anchor from the ground???

sdrio

Is that on a road? If I did that, the council would come along, rip it up and send me the bill.

I once opened up a gate in my back fence, onto the road behind my house, and had to remove a chunk of chain link fencing that was across the back of my fence. The council came along one day and replaced it, so it blocked the gate I'd fitted, and sent me a bill for £350 about a week later!

blueglue

Not bad for an anchor point. I got a Oxford one as i wasnt happy with the anchor points available to me in my garage. I also have an Abus disk lock etc.
I reread my insurance certificate and it can catch you out if you dont have the right security as stipulated in the policy brief. i.e disk lock and anchored chain at all times over night.

20140705_152433.jpg

Floor Anchor £20 from Halfords/Amazon etc and silver rated. Absolute ball ache drilling through the concrete and you smash ball bearings into the allen key heads as a first line of defence (the chain blocks access anyway)

Last edited:

Thsam

Not bad for an anchor point. I got a Oxford one as i wasnt happy with the anchor points available to me in my garage. I also have an Abus disk lock etc.
I reread my insurance certificate and it can catch you out if you dont have the right security as stipulated in the policy brief. i.e disk lock and anchored chain at all times over night.

View attachment 563

Floor Anchor £20 from Halfords/Amazon etc and silver rated. Absolute ball ache drilling through the concrete and you smash ball bearings into the allen key heads as a first line of defence (the chain blocks access anyway)
Nice setup !

I believe my insurance has the same clause about "adequate measures".

Im parked on the public street over night, so I do what I can..

Marcus

photo.jpg

I park outside on my drive; I use & recommend a Y-Anchor & Almax Chain combo.

Y-Anchor is concreted below the surface so attack is impossible. The Almax chain is reknown for its product being best in market.

This combo gives me over £200 per year discount on my insurance as well as letting me as sleep peacefully.

Marcus

Mushymi5

View attachment 581

Y-Anchor is concreted below the surface so attack is impossible. The Almax chain is reknown for its product being best in market.

This combo gives me over £200 per year discount on my insurance as well as letting me as sleep peacefully.

Marcus
Spot on that, going know where, with that combo! ;)

Tricky

View attachment 581

Marcus
£200 off your insurance, mine is only £155 a year, the joys of being old :)
Your security is top notch I have to say :)

McCracken

>Marcus
That setup looks fantastic ! Now please tell me where did you get that wonderful ALMAX chain ! ??? I tried everything, and they wont reply. I fact we had a whole group of people (10 or more) that wanted to buy an Almax chain, but we could not get into contact with the company based in england.(i live in denmark)

Marcus

>Marcus
That setup looks fantastic ! Now please tell me where did you get that wonderful ALMAX chain ! ??? I tried everything, and they wont reply. I fact we had a whole group of people (10 or more) that wanted to buy an Almax chain, but we could not get into contact with the company based in england.(i live in denmark)
I bought it directly from the Almax chain website. Nice guy who runs it, can't remember his name though.

Almax Security Chains Limited

Let's just say the discount is a only a token amount of the insurance cost. The joys of living in Central London and being under 30. It does literally pay to be older in some circumstances!

Marcus

Vasago

One observation guys. If you leave your chain lying on the ground it's much easier for a thief to cut it. No power tools needed.

MassMan

So what's stopping me to unscrew your anchor from the ground???
I scratched the thread and filled the whole thing with "lock-tight".

Hopefully just enough to discourage the bad guys. :)
Unless I'm missing something, it's still just a matter of drilling out the heads of the screws and you have removed the entire anchor. Would take less than a minute.

e6214be7d9d997ec7ca416d94c8d427d.jpg

It's better than nothing sure, but when all you need to ruin an anchor is a common drill like the one above, then it wont discourage determined bad guys.

(edit: and like someone above me said, the Original Post anchor is extremely vulnerable to a sledge hammer)

Last edited:

busey

If they want it and are proper criminals they will have it
Can only try and put off the ones looking for easy pickings