cracking the rear axle nut

badger27

hi just tried to adjust the chain ...OMG i couldn't move the 27 mm axle nut even with a 3 ft breaker bar on . Has anyone else had trouble and could you offer any advice

badger

AJ Nin

I had no trouble loosening the nut, but I did use a breaker bar. If I had trouble, I would just use a longer bar. My breaker bar is homemade. It's a hollow brass tube that fits over my half inch socket wrench handle, but I still have less than 2 feet from my hand to the axle nut, so if I did have trouble, I would need a longer breaker bar. You could try penetrating oil or even WD-40 or heating the nut too. I have occasionally had to do that but that was with nuts that had stripped threads after which I had to replace both the axle nut and the axle. Just try a longer bar to get more leverage. When the axle nut releases it isn't like a sudden release such as with the oil plug either. It's slower than that with continued resistance until you get the axle nut much looser.

Last edited:

badger27

so i phoned cm today and explained the problem . took them a few minutes it was very tight but its been torqued up correctly now an the chain duly adjusted . ...result .